1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Gardens/:Landscape

Discussion in 'Travel Forum' started by Jeff Weaver, Jan 4, 2003.

1. Jeff Weaver

Jeff Weaver New Member

Hi folks

Some of you all may know that this past summer, we moved into an old VIctorian house, and have spent most of 2002 fixing up the structure. Now that spring is coming, it is time to think about working on the outside.

The ladies who owned the house before us (now all deceased) supposedly had the place as a showcase of the town, but in their old age, let everything go to ruin. The town we live in was an old mining town, (all the mines now are closed), and this was one of the company's managers houses, one of four, and in their day were obviously the best in town. Of the four, two on either side of us are still elegant, ours is getting that way, and the fourth is in sad shape, but it was just sold to folks who will be restoring it as we have done.

We live in horticultural zone 6. We have a quarter acre town lot, about 1/2 of which is taken up by the house, a smoke house, and drive way. The house has an east-west orientation, with the west face on main street. The soils are a bit alkaline, but that can be amended and fixed.
    Features of the landscape that probably would be best left alone are three large red dogwoods (25-30 feet tall -- really big dogwoods) on the southside of the house. These trees keep most of this side of the house shady most of the time, so need to have shade tolerant plants on this side. On the north side of the house there is a large maple (in sad shape, and it may have to come down for safety reasons), a flowering crab apple, and a smokehouse (being used as a storage shed). On the east there is nothing of importance, except the drive way. On the west there is grass, and a sad looking grape vine, which got chopped way back when I rebuilt the porch.

The question, however, is this. What suggestions would you make for plantings to bring the old place back to its former glory? I have a green thumb (most of the time), just trying to get some ideas.

Jeff.

2. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Philadelphia is zone 6 too, a great zone for gardening! I have a bit of property to garden and like to use plants that give the maximum impact for minimal work. My recomendation for your first few years is to invest in some Daylilies (they usually flower mid-July through mid-August) Don't buy them from a store though, go online and search the speciality plants, a much better selection. Day lilies will grow and can be separated after a year or two and within four years or so you have more plants than you know what to do with. One problem though is that they do not make a very good cut flower arrangement.

And then plant annuals to fill bare spots.

Look aroung and see waht other people have and what you like and experiment.

3. Twizzler

Twizzler Member

I would call someone in to lay blacktop over the entire yard! I can't keep a plant alive to save my life! :(

tw ;)