1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Gas station owner told to raise prices

Discussion in '2008 Archive' started by Ps104_33, May 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

"A service station that offered discounted gas to senior citizens and people supporting youth sports has been ordered by the state to raise its prices.
    Center City BP owner Raj Bhandari has been offering senior citizens a 2 cent per gallon price break and discount cards that let sports boosters pay 3 cents less per gallon.
    But the state Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection says those deals violate Wisconsin's Unfair Sales Act, which requires stations to sell gas for about 9.2 percent more than the wholesale price.
    Bhandari said he received a letter from the state auditor last month saying the state would sue him if he did not raise his prices. The state could penalize him for each discounted gallon he sold, with the fine determined by a judge.
    Bhandari, who bought the station a year ago, said he worries customers will think he stopped the discounts because he wants to make more money. About 10 percent of his customers had used the discount cards.
    Dale Van Camp said he bought a $50 card to support the local youth hockey program. It would have saved him about $100 per year on gas, he said."

This is a total disgrace. What happened to free enterprise and competition? I am one who believes that market supply and demand determines oil prices, but why would the state step in and tell this man what to charge for his gasoline? This is communism.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070509/ap_on_fe_st/odd_cheap_gas_7

2. rbell

rbell Active Member

I think if we'd wipe out any law on the books that contain the word "fair," we'd make great strides.

I'm interested in justice, not fairness. BTW, the above example is neither.

3. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

You answered your own question.

4. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

The Colorado legislature just recently passed a bill to allow sales of gasoline below cost. The issue was that the big grocery chains were selling gas under cost when a consumer used their store discount cards. The law was originally to protect small businesses from predatory, below cost pricing by big chains with the clout to run them out of business. The stores had suspended their discounts until the new legislation was enacted.

Obviously, you don't know what communism even is. The law in Wisconsin cited in the OP was obviously passed by the representatives of the voters and enacted by their governor. That is representative democracy, not communism.

#4 Magnetic Poles, May 9, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2007
  5. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Requiring a retailer to set his price 9.2% above the wholesale price sounds to me to be an instance of government-enforced price gouging.

6. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Just because you vote for communism doesn't mean it isn't communism.

Junk like this is one reason that we're not long for the superpower name.

7. Jack Matthews

Jack Matthews New Member

Especially when the wholesale price includes a profit margin well above 100%.

8. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

For every $100 I spend at Kroger, I get $.10 off per gallon of gas when I fill up.

I don't know if that's below wholesale or not, but I sure like it.

9. billwald

billwald New Member

How many gallons you burn to save 3%? <G>

The concept that the people passing a law makes something moral demonstrates the foolishness of democracy.

10. Bro. James Reed

The Kroger is about 1/2 mile from my house and has the 3rd closest gas station, the other two being Walmart and Exxon (which I am boycotting).:thumbs:

Everyone boycott Exxon.:applause:

11. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Is that because they buy their gas from Muslims?

12. Bro. James Reed

Just pick a reason. There are any number of good ones.

They are supporting Islamic regimes by purchasing oil from them. They are raking in $10 billion per quarter in profits while we're paying out the nose for needed gasoline. They are (around here anyway) the most expensive brand of gas to buy.

Boycott, boycott, boycott!!!:applause:

13. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

Our grocery here in Manchester gives us $.49 off for every $100 spent! It's a great deal!

Jamie

14. Bro. James Reed

That is a great deal.

How much does regular gasoline usually run for up there?

15. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just curious, which Islamic regimes and what is your problem with ExxonMobil purchasing oil from these particular Islamic regimes?

16. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

$2.79 - $2.90 give or take.

Jamie

17. Bro. James Reed

Saudi Arabia...which is technically a "friend" while mostly looking the other way from terrorists in their own country.

UAE...not so much for being a terrorist breeding ground, but because the royal family is spending billions upon billions, part of which is from our oil purchases, to build up cities, islands, etc, and granting incentives to American companies to move there. There's nothing particularly wrong with what they are doing, but it will hurt our economy for our companies to move there and I don't like it.

My issue with Exxon lies more with their profits than anything. Plus, like I said, they are typically the most expensive brand around here.

You can buy from the if you want to, but it would just tickle me silly to see people stick it to some large corporation like that for a change. The epitome of a capitalistic society is when the largest company on earth can be brought down by angry consumers who refuse to buy their product.

18. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since we don't have a Murphy USA station here I generally purchase my gasoline at the Phillips 66 station on my way to work.

19. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

If I'm not mistaken, ExxonMobil's profits last year were only about 5.5%.

With most companies, while not a failure, that's a poor investment.

I've been averaging 12% for the last 15 years or so on my investments.

20. Bro. James Reed

But I'm pretty sure you did not post profits of $10 billion either.

The company could do a lot more to help Americans get by, but they choose the higher profits instead.

They're free to make that choice, and I, and all others who feel the same, are free to stop buying their product.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.