1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Gay Civil Unions

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by moscott, Jun 8, 2009.

?
  1. I believe in Civil Unions and I believe Jesus does too

1 vote(s)
    3.6%
  2. I believe in Civil Unions but believe Jesus doesn't

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I don't believe in Civil Unions but believe Jesus does

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I don't believe in Civil Unions and believe Jesus doesn't

27 vote(s)
    96.4%
  1. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Giving g@ys a status as "civil-union" is a step towards recognizing their "partnerships" as legitimate. After they get people used to "civil unions" we're just another step away from considering them married. Then, once they get their "marriages" recognized, people will start coming out of the woodwork wanting their own "unions" for polygamy, beastiality, and so forth.

It reminds me of what happened here in WV. The libs here wanted to have table games for gambling, but knew the voters weren't "ready" so they pushed table games so we would compromise and allow slot machines. Now a few years later, they are getting their way with the table gambling. It's the natural progression of evil.

2. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Somehow "dealing with them" has become "approve of" in your thinking, they aren't the same thing.

If a behavior is deemed legal, then yes, but that doesn't mean we have to change our beliefs. Abortion, brought up earlier, is legal and the law has been changed to deal with this. Because there is a new law doesn't mean it is going to change the way I believe about abortion. I don't like it and nothing the government does is going to change my mind. An unfortunate reality of living in as of yet completely redeemed world though as Christians we have that to look forward to.

Another example is the way we are communicating right now, the internet. Laws have had to be passed to directly deal with new issues created by having access to the internet, many of them unfortunately sinful.

On the issue of living in a sinful world I try to take my cues from Paul in 1 Corinthians 5:9-13

3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Uh...yes it is.

And those laws forbid those behaviors not accepts them giving them credibility and setting up a further slide in the future.

4. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==I really could care less. One way or the other civil unions or gay marriage change nothing. The fact is these people are living in a sinful lifestyle that will land them in hell (1Cor 6:9-10, Rev 21:8).

Does Jesus approve of "civil unions"? Of course not! He never approves of sin.

Do I approve of "civil unions"? No, but I think the ship has sailed on worrying about our government doing the Godly thing.

#44 Martin, Jun 9, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2009
  5. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Uh-no it isn't. I deal with taxes, how they are spent and collected but I don't always (like almost never) approve of them. I deal with election results, don't always approve of them

Not always, many things are on the internet that are objectionable (to say the least) to a believer yet 100% legal.

6. moscott

moscott Member

Great to see the results of the poll. Wonder if the 1 person who voted in favor has the guts to come forward and admit it?:wavey:I didn't think so---they would lose any credibility.

7. Jedi Knight

Jedi Knight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I shouldn't post because you took the words out of my mouth!:thumbsup:

8. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am for the separation of marriage and state.

9. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    So you would not (legally) oppose polygamy, close relative, ect?

10. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

There was an item in today's Washington Post regarding the pending measure for DC to recognize gay marriages from other states. Note how one couple claims to be Christian.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/06/14/AR2009061401992.html

11. SeekingTruth

SeekingTruth Member

As I have noted before, it is easy to say "I am a Christian", but that does not make it true. No Christian would embrace this life style, let alone do it publicly and then boast about it. How can she have a wife? :BangHead::BangHead::tonofbricks:

12. donnA

donnA Active Member

God does not approve sin, and no matter what the governement does with gay unions/marriage, it will always be sin, and if God calls it sin, shouldn't also those who call themselves by His name?
    Unless... it's in name only.