1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Gen. 3:22

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Joe Dirt, Mar 2, 2013.

1. Joe Dirt

Joe Dirt New Member

Gen 3:22 b "...lest he put forth his hand and take also of the tree of life and eat, and live for ever.
    just wandering if there may be thoughts on this verse.is it a hint that man could have been saved by works in the O.T. just looking for different thoughts, as i have never heard this verse discussed. is it possible it only applied to Adam.... really not sure how to apply it , so not looking to start a conflict or open a can of worms.:tonofbricks:

2. HisWitness

HisWitness New Member

Man was going to die bodily before the fall--The DEATH that he died was the DEATH of his soul at bodily death.IF he would have eaten the tree of life,he would have lived BODILY for ever--thats the reason God put man out of the garden,because man would not ever die bodily means the soul would live forever in the body also,thus not allowing God to Judge Man with the DEATH.

Also the tree of life was put there for man to eat also,before the fall the Soul was never gonna die,just the body,so the tree of life was there so that the Soul would have a house to live in forever(the body)if he had eaten :)

3. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

We are saved for not doing anything but believe in God and the work He has done where there is no work, to not to eat from the tree of knowledge of good and evil is to do nothing. To believe, trust in Jesus for us.

Romans 4

Abraham Justified by Faith

4 What then shall we say that Abraham, our forefather according to the flesh, discovered in this matter? 2 If, in fact, Abraham was justified by works, he had something to boast about—but not before God. 3 What does Scripture say? “Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness.”[Gen. 15:6; also in verse 22]

4 Now to the one who works, wages are not credited as a gift but as an obligation. 5 However, to the one who does not work but trusts God who justifies the ungodly, their faith is credited as righteousness. 6 David says the same thing when he speaks of the blessedness of the one to whom God credits righteousness apart from works:
    7 “Blessed are those
    whose transgressions are forgiven,
    whose sins are covered.
    8 Blessed is the one
    whose sin the Lord will never count against them.”[Psalm 32:1,2]

#3 psalms109:31, Mar 2, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2013
  4. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Joe D, some assert that God barred man from the Tree of Life due to some "mystical" power it may have held to prolong life indefinitely and thus did not desire for man to live forever in his state of rebellion.

5. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    However:

Therefore the LORD God sent him forth from the garden of Eden, to till the ground from whence he was taken. So he drove out the man; and he placed at the east of the garden of Eden Cherubims, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life. Gen 3:23,24 But your iniquities have separated between you and your God, and your sins have hid [his] face from you, that he will not hear. Isa 59:2

and·he-is-saying Elohim to Moses I-shall-become who I-am-becoming and·he-is-saying you-shall-say to·sons-of Israel I-shall-become he-sent·me to·you(p)
    Scripture4all.org Hebrew interlinear Ex. 3:14
    Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am. KJV John 8:58

Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day. John 6:54

But when the time had fully come, God sent forth his Son, born of woman, born under the law, Gal.4:4 RSV

The tree of life?

#5 percho, Mar 2, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2013
  6. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Revelation 22 (King James Version)

22 And he shewed me a pure river of water of life, clear as crystal, proceeding out of the throne of God and of the Lamb.

2 In the midst of the street of it, and on either side of the river, was there the tree of life, which bare twelve manner of fruits, and yielded her fruit every month: and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations.

3 And there shall be no more curse: but the throne of God and of the Lamb shall be in it; and his servants shall serve him:

4 And they shall see his face; and his name shall be in their foreheads.

5 And there shall be no night there; and they need no candle, neither light of the sun; for the Lord God giveth them light: and they shall reign for ever and ever.

6 And he said unto me, These sayings are faithful and true: and the Lord God of the holy prophets sent his angel to shew unto his servants the things which must shortly be done.

7 Behold, I come quickly: blessed is he that keepeth the sayings of the prophecy of this book.