1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Genealogy Anyone?

Discussion in 'Travel Forum' started by Gwen, Jan 10, 2006.

1. Gwen

Gwen Active Member

Anyone interested in their family tree? How far have you traced your ancestors back to? What nationalities?

2. Brother Ian

Brother Ian Active Member

We have history back to the Civil War on my father's side. In fact, we have all the American history on my father's side, and where they came from in Europe, but no history of them in Europe.

3. Gwen

Gwen Active Member

I don't want to start the War all over again, but did they fight for the North or the South?

We have some family that were divided: some on each side.

4. Brother Ian

Brother Ian Active Member

Gwen,

Oddly enough and I hate to say this being a career Navy man, but I have an ancestor that went to Canada to avoid the war. I'm originally from Illinois, so he deserted from the Union Army. :(

5. Gwen

Gwen Active Member

We have some sad stories, too. We have an ancestor who fought for the Patriots in the Revolutionary War who was shot and killed by his own brothers, who fought for the British.

6. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

I don't know how far my MIL has traced her family, but I'm pretty sure she's gone back to before The War between the States.

That's the Civil War for us Yankees. [​IMG]

7. standingfirminChrist

one of my ancestors was a traitor also. my father told stories of his great great grandfather, i think it wa, held the coat of john wilkes booth while he made his escape after shooting abraham lincoln

8. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I'm roughly #3500 in line for the English throne. So if members of the royal family start dropping off, I'll probably have to skip town.

Perhaps that explains why "King Ralph" is one of my favorite movies.

9. dclark14

dclark14 New Member

On my father's side, we have traced back to John and Margaret who came to America during the great immigration of 1630. They came on the ship Arbella which was one ship in John Winthrop's fleet. I know that they came from Nayland, County Suffolk England.One of their decendants in the male line married a descendant of the daughter of John and Priscilla Alden. I have the names tucked away in a file somewhere. The list is not as complete on my mother's side- except to say that it appears to be basically English.I broke the lineage by marrying into a finnish family .

10. Gwen

Gwen Active Member

[​IMG] Johnv [​IMG]

dclark14--1630! Wow. I know that took some research! My people came over from England about the same time and settled in Roxbury, Mass. They were Quakers. Even had a martyr in the family--Honora Skipwith was martyered for her Quaker faith at York Castle in England in the 1600's.

We are, for the most part, Scottish. We have some English, Irish, Welsh, German, Swedish, French and Cherokee. I guess that makes me a mutt. [​IMG]

11. UnchartedSpirit

UnchartedSpirit New Member

My father is, that's why my mom dosent think we should waste our time looking up dead people who don't have money for us. However I'm fasinated with my Native American and European heritage, since my father claims its spread with royalities. I'm still wanting to do a motion picture on The Siminole, but I can't figure how much history I want to put in there, and I haven't finished my research yet...

12. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

I have, I kid you not, been able to trace my roots back to Adam.

Whether the line is accurate or not, I can not be absolutely certain, but it is well established as settled theory.

I am a descendant of the Plantagenet kings of England and France, who are descended from Constantine, Muhammed, and Caesar Augustus.

I am a descendant of King Edward I of England, and King Philip III of France. Also from Brian de Tunstall, the Stainless Knight, who fought and died in the Battle of Flodden Field on September 9, 1513.

Other famous royals include the 1st - 3rd Lords Scrope, who were Knights of the Garter and one treasurer of England, who was beheaded in a coup.

My Banks (Bankes) family came to America with James Bankes in 1635 aboard the Peter Bonaventure.

My Tunstall line came with Edmund Tunstall in 1636, with 2 servants, and settled in Virginia. He was the first person in America to have a license to grow and export tobacco.

Sir John Banks was the Attorney General of England in 1634 and later was named Lord Chief Justice. During the reign of Charles VIII, when civil war erupted, he declared that the Parliament's actions were treasonous. Parliament then declared his entire Court traitors. When his Castle Corfe was stormed, his wife and servants successfully defended their home on their own, due to Sir Banks' absence. He is buried at the Cathedral of Christ Church at Oxford.

I had several fight in the American civil war (on both sides) and the Revolution.

I guess you might say I like genealogy. :D

13. billreber

billreber New Member

A distant cousin of mine has traced our heritage back to the mid 1600s. My maternal grandmother's family descended from Friedreich Kegler (from Germany), while my maternal grandfather's side can be traced to a Captain Charles Simmons in Virginia in the early 1700s. We also have Parkers in our history (ever see the movie about Quanah Parker, the Indian chief who was the son of Cynthia Ann Parker, sole survivor of a massacre? Distant cousin of mine!).

My paternal history is silent, since my dad was adopted.

Bill

14. Rev. Lowery

Rev. Lowery New Member

My wifes mother was full blooded Cherokee...I am sure she could go back quite aways if she wished. me on the other hand I am a mutt too, irish, german, scottish, navajo, and cherokee.

15. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A little side issue those of you who can relate to the 1600s (+-) ancestors: Read The Light and the Glory by Peter Marshall & David Manuel.

May be sub-titled Did Go Have a Plan for America?

You may even find some of your ancestors here! [​IMG]

Excellent read and brings in many points I'd never heard of!

16. Gwen

Gwen Active Member

just-want-peace,
    I haven't read "The Light and the Glory" but I will soon.

Bro. James Reed,
    Wow! All the way back to Adam! That's amazing. I thot I was doing good to go back to 1590.

At last count, I have 12 ancestors who fought in the Revolution, 3 who fought in the Civil War, 2 who fought in the War of 1812, and 10 preachers (including both my grandfathers, who were Baptist preachers.)

My family names are: McCay, Douglas, Hughes, Buchanan, Woody, Marshall, Moyers, and Marsee.

I guess you could say I like genealogy, too!

Thanks, everyone for sharing!

17. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

"The Light and the Glory" is an interesting read (although I'm not so sure about some of its conclusions). Other books by Marshall in what I suppose is intended to be a complete series include "From Sea to Shining Sea" and "Sounding Forth the Trumpet."

My interest in history has sparked an interest in genealogy as well. Unfortunately, I haven't been successful in tracing my particular family tree in detail back more than a couple generations. Anything beyond that has so far just been oral traditions that may or may not be completely accurate.

I do know that folks with my family's name have existed at least as far back as the early 1300's because of historical records placing them as having fought with the Scottish leader Robert the Bruce as he went on to defeat the English forces at the Battle of Bannockburn.

For those interested in genealogy, I would recommend enrolling in Adult Education classes on that subject that may be offered under the auspices of a nearby state college or university. They are usually taught by someone with much experience in genealogy and can supply you with much useful information--including some things to avoid as mere sales pitches.

18. Gwen

Gwen Active Member

One does have to be careful of false info out on the web. Check your sources! Also, avoid magazine ads selling your family history and your family crest for a few bucks. These are mostly fake.

My husband has a cousin in England who has traced their family back to 1066. They have a very cool website!

Good luck in your searches, everyone!

19. genesis12

genesis12 Member

20. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But when was he a traitor?