1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Genealogy Poll

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by liafailrock, Jan 15, 2005.

?
  1. Yes

100.0%
  2. No (not interested, not important, etc.)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No--- because of I Tim 1:4, Titus 3:9

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. liafailrock

liafailrock Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Hello all:

I want to get the stance here on one's family genealogy.

2. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

I said yes, only because I know pretty far back who my relatives were. I grew up knowing both sets of my great grandparents and one set of great great grandparents. I'm not interested in those far removed.

The scripture you gave doesn't 'fit' with whether or not I know my grandmother was 1/2 Choctaw Indian or not. You're taking it out of context.

3. Rookiepastor

Rookiepastor New Member

I know my family history pretty well... I have a nephew who does a wonderful job of research.

It is his passion in life.

He has gone back to the late 1500's on one branch.
    (My mother's side)

On my Father's side he has only gone back to around mid 1600's.

Do you remember the song... Young Jesus in the temple being questioned...

How old are you son?

On my mother's side I am 12, but on my Father's side...

Typing my answer reminded me of the song....

Oh well

God Bless

4. Nevertheless

Nevertheless New Member

My goal is to race each branch of my family (and Hubby's!) back to immigration to the U.S. So far the closest immigrant ancestors I've found are 4 generations back, and the farthest are 12 generations. I find it very interesting, but I think my kids think I'm nuts!

5. Nevertheless

Nevertheless New Member

Grrrrrr . . .

I meant TRACE not race! :~) That'll teach me to proofread before posting I guess.

6. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

You can edit for 15 mins. Nevertheless.

7. Nevertheless

Nevertheless New Member

Thanks Diane. I'm having some trouble with my ISP (or rather, they are having trouble) which sometimes causes graphics not to load onto a page. The icons to the right of the post time didn't come up when I posted, so I couldn't find the edit option. Hopefully they will soon fix the problems they are having as it's causing me a great deal of frustration.

:mad:

8. Turpius

Turpius New Member

We have several members of my family that have the dreaded "genealogy ailment", myself included.

Most of Dad's side only came over after the Civil War, but I can go waaaaaayyyyy back on my Mom's family lines in the US.

9. delly

delly New Member

I have most of my families back to England except, of course, my Cherokee ancestors. I have one family all the way back to 12 Century England. I have been a genealogist for 19 years and I am passionate about it.

10. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

Don't get me started.

I have a box full of all of my handwritten notes on genealogy. Thankfully, I got smart and started saving stuff to the computer instead of writing it all out.

I can go back to Augustus Caesar on one branch of mom's side. This line includes Charlemagne, Mohammed (yes, all you muslim lurkers, you can't kill me now, huh), the Plantagenet Kings of England and France, an Archbishop of York, I forget which one right off hand, several Knights of the Garter including the famous Stainless Knight.

I have been unable to trace much of my dad's family more than 150 years or so. I know they were all in America at least by the early 1800's. I know I am a descendant of the famous Hatfield clan, of Hatfield and McCoy fame. I am also a descendant of Elder Lewis Craig, the famous preacher with the "traveling church".

My whole family, EVERY SINGLE LINE, is from the south and was in the south by the time the civil war erupted. I can truly call myself a southerner, even though some family fought for the north (of course, that is only because they were threatened with execution if they didn't fight for the Yankees in Union-controlled Arkansas.)

I am a 5th generation Texan on dad's side, and family history has it that our 'Crow' ancestors were Cherokee Indian, but I have been unable to prove so.

Does all of this tell you how I answered the poll????

When I am not surfing the BB, checking my email, or looking at the classic cars on eBay, I am searching every genealogy site I can find.

It's addictive.

It is right now 12:35 am and I will be doing some research on the family after I post this message, before I go to bed.

If you don't feel the 'itch' for doing genealogy, I would suggest not getting started.

Believe me, this simple hobby will turn into an obsession in a minute. Once you break through that first wall and find something you haven't before, man, you get a satisfaction that is outrageous. Unfortunately, where one door is opened, there are several behind it that are closed. It's a never ending trail.

I have done most I can on my direct ancestors, so now I've moved on to categorizing siblings of everyone. That is harder than the direct lines.

Oh well, I guess we all need something to pass the time.

11. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I know what race I am--the Adamic race. There is only one race; but many ethnic origins.
    As for me, I know of which five I come from and in which percentages. I have an Irish name, but I am only one quarter Irish.

On my father's mother's side I can trace back my genealogy back to Laura Secord. That's more Canadian history than it is American, even though she was born and raised an American.
    DHK

12. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Not much on my mother's side.
    My Daddy's side however goes back to 1086 a.d. Scotland. Some ancestors include John Knox and James Knox Polk.

Big deal. :rolleyes:

I know who my FATHER is, and THAT is all that matters to me. And one day, I will see HIM face to face. HALLELUJAH! What a Day, Glorious Day that will be. What a Day that will be, when my Jesus I shall see, When I look upon His face, the one who saved me by His Grace, when He takes me by the hand, and leads me to the promised land, WHAT A DAY! GLORIOUS DAY! THAT WILL BEEE!

In HIS service;
    Jim

13. liafailrock

liafailrock Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I agree 100%. I do not think those scriptures have anything to do with what we are talking about here, but I threw those in out of curiosity to see if anyone out there believes that way (of course I "blew it" now and gave that part away [​IMG] )

Obviously, the overwelming response was "yes". That's great that many care about their families enough to study their history. I think it's an indirect way of "honoring our parents", not that we want to dote on the past, but thank God for the families He has given to us so that we know something about ourselves as well.

As for myself, I found it easier to study my wife's lineage since for many generations back they owned and farmed this whole area. Her 5x grandfather owned and farmed what is now Coopersburg, Pa, and they were popular in the area. Her 8x grandfather came from Switzerland.

my family is a little more mysterious (like me [​IMG] ) I know for sure who my 2x grandfather was, but we are still trying to tell if his grandfather was James Lick (founder of the Lick Observatory) or not. He may be my 4x grandfather, or possibly 4x granduncle since he had many siblings. However, his son "John" was the result of out-of-wedlock union. Our "family genealogist" claims this son John was my 3x grandfather, but the links are a little weak. And my 2x grandfather (supposedly his son) was raised by another family according to census records, so we are not sure if John was his father or not). However, the origin of James Lick was the same area that all my family came from (Fredericksburg, Pa).

It's all very interesting.

14. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Bro. James, my grandfather Ward was Jewish. He'd been married before and had 3 grown daughters. One died quite young. My mother met them once. My great grandfather Conway bragged about his children with one of the slave girls, so I have some cousins who are from him. I'm Irish and English, German-Jew and Choctaw Indian.

15. Turpius

Turpius New Member

Would any of that combination explain a few things about you Diane? ;) ;)

16. Nevertheless

Nevertheless New Member

When we first moved to MO I had an interesting conversation with a neighbor.

She: My mother immigrated from Italy. Where was your mother born?
    Me: Mississippi.
    She: Oh. Well where was her mother born?
    She: Oh. How about her mother?
    She: Oh. (Change of subject)

I thought it was interesting because of the differences in our expectations. Based on her family experience, I should have a fairly close ancestor who had come to this country from somewhere else. Based on my family experience (and because she had no foreign accent) I expected that her family had "always" lived in the U.S., just like mine.

17. delly

delly New Member

Nevertheless, that is funny. LOL
    All my family lines have been in the U.S. since the 1600s and came from either, North Carolina, Virginia, South Carolina, Georgia, and Alabama. Even my Cherokee ancestors are from Georgia and Alabama, having been hidden to avoid the "Trail of Tears".

18. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

In the US, I have at least one direct ancestor born in the following states:

Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Kentucky, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia

Not too awful many for a family that's been in this country for almost 400 years.

19. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

My mums side emigrated from old Prussia in the early 20th century to Australia.

Dads side emigrated from Scotland to the South Island of New Zealand in the late 19th century. The family boasts of turning the first plough furrow on the Cantebury Plain outside of Otago. My grandfather jumped ship from New Zealand and settled where it was warm and hardly ever rained which was Western Australia. He was an illegal immigrant for over 80 years.......

Both sides of the family emmigrated to escape the crushing poverty of their lives.

20. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

I guess I am a relative newcomer. My family immigrated from Germany in 1840.

I have traced them back to 1375 - so far...

I have a great interest in Ellis Island.

§ue (always curious and ever learning)