1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Genealogy Question......

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by pinoybaptist, Jul 3, 2014.

1. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does anybody know if Adam and Eve had any children besides Cain and Abel, during the 130 years they lived to Seth (see Gen. 4:25 and 5:3) ?
    any books you might recommend ? links ?
    thanks.

2. Gabriel Elijah

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Off the top of my head—I know a common answer to who it was that Cain feared when he killed Able was the wrath of his siblings (implying they had other kids before Seth)
    Gen 4-13 Cain said to the LORD, "My punishment is greater than I can bear. 14 Behold, you have driven me today away from the ground, and from your face I shall be hidden. I shall be a fugitive and a wanderer on the earth, and whoever finds me will kill me." 15 Then the LORD said to him, "Not so! If anyone kills Cain, vengeance shall be taken on him sevenfold." And the LORDput a mark on Cain, lest any who found him should attack him.
    Of course this has to be speculation b/c the text is not clear (& has led to a wide range of theories)—further some believe it refers to the future offspring of Adam & Eve & not those present at the time Cain makes the statement--but if you look into this you might find an answer to your question

3. Gabriel Elijah

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Also—since many believe that Cain’s wife was his sister or niece-it could imply other children before Seth—in Jubilees 4:9 & Sanhedrin 58b he marries his sister (ie Jewish tradition)--but once again the timing could be an issue—as well as overcoming other theories—regardless hope this helps

4. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Genesis 5:4 (NIV)
    After Seth was born, Adam lived 800 years and had other sons and daughters.

5. thisnumbersdisconnected

There ya go! :thumbsup:

Beat me to it.

6. Gabriel Elijah

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Deacon & thisnumber—I could be wrong—but I think the question was—did they have any children before Seth (besides Cain & Able)—not if they simply had other children—if so the affirmative answer could impact the interpretation of other difficult texts

7. thisnumbersdisconnected

It appears to me that the text is ambiguous as to the timing of the "other sons and daughters." The wording in the Hebrew does not refer to a specific time frame, but can be understood as encompassing their entire lives.

That conclusion is supported by the fact that Cain clearly had a wife, and given that Adam and Eve were God's only direct creation, the wife had to also be a sister.

#7 thisnumbersdisconnected, Jul 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2014
  8. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you. It does make sense that the original sinless couple, prior to their fall, had other children. It seems God's emphasis is on the lineage of Messiah that can be directly traced to the Creation.

9. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    yes, you are correct. that is the question.

10. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Studying the lineage and genealogy of the Savior is fascinating. For example, look at this four women.

Rahab, a prostitute, Tamar who pretended to be a prostitute to shame her father-in-law, Ruth from a tribe with whom Hebrews were prohibited from associating, Bathsheba, an adulteress.

And despite all this, He was born impeccable and without sin.

11. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rahab was a former prostitute when she bore Boaz. Much bigger to me than her former prostitution is what happened to her when God touched life via her faith - she alone from an entire nation of spiritually rebellious people that God condemned made the decision to trust him.

Just as David was a former murderer and adulterer when he bore Solomon - yet he bowed in submission to the chastisement of God and repented mightily.

I don't see Tamar as posing as a prostitute to shame anyone. She was in survival mode as she had been twice discarded by Judah. She was trying to produce an heir for that family she had married into to secure her a place of protection. It was the wrong choice, but a choice made out of desperation. Just as Judah lied to her out of desperation because he superstitiously believed his 3rd son would die if Tamar married him and never intended to see to her protection or care as his twice daughter-in-law.

And Bathsheba did commit adultery - not of her own idea or wish - , but God held David responsible for it - for obvious reasons.

And you forgot Mary, who had whispers of whoredom gossiped about her.

These five women had struggles - as did many of the men mentioned in Matthew. And, these five women had great faith and showed faithfulness in their own ways - something not often mentioned.

Some of these men in this list committed dreadful acts of sin.

To me, looking at the list as a whole reveals that God is Sovereign, included the Gentiles in Jesus' genealogy, and that Jesus' human nature was born of very "human" people who fell prey to the sins of humanity - and yet that did not taint Jesus.

12. The Archangel

The Archangel Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Part of the point of the genealogy in Genesis 5 is to establish the link between Adam and Noah through Seth.

After the flood, other sons and daughters of Adam are irrelevant, since Noah is the only surviving head-of-family. Noah is from Seth and Seth is from Adam.

The Archangel