1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Geneology of the church

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by Yelsew, Nov 8, 2003.

1. Yelsew

Yelsew Guest

Thessalonian, On Abiyah's thread seeking understanding, part of your first post contained the following:

2. thessalonian

thessalonian New Member

To be deep in history is to cease to be Protestant. You are not deep Yelsew. It is not out of pride that I proclaim what I do. It is out of sadness for those who do not want to believe the truth. Sadness for those who reject authority out of there own foolish pride. I did not find Catholicism. God gave it to me. All I can do is boldy proclaim. If it bothers you someone proclaims their beliefs as truth, if this steeps on the toes of those who want to be left where they are then maybe you better look a little deeper. I I have read much of the Church fathers. I have studied Augustine. Read all of Irenaus, Ignatius, Justin Martry, polycarp, and many more. I see no Sola Scriptura. No Sole Fide. I see the Eucharist, the Papacy, baptismal regenation, etc. Don't count on me backing down anytime soon. I have much more to say with regard to your post but don't presently have the time. You can look forward to further discussion and I thank you for your post.

Blessings

3. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

The Catholic Church has a historical and a spiritual past. When I study the Old Testament I use a historic chart that starts at creation and traces Adam and Eve, Seth, Noah, Shem, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Judah, etc, right through to Jesus Christ. The Bible itself plots it out detailing the genealogies. This is how the Bible spelled out and showed who the chosen people were and how they pointed to the Savior. The historical and spiritual past of the Catholic Church starts with Jesus Christ and continues on through today. This genealogy of the New Testament Church does not list who belongs to the Body of Christ any more than the genealogies and history of the Old Testament listed who all the Old Testament saints were.

I find it interesting how many Christians refuse to look at any credible history of Christianity, but they will eat up an account like Babylon Two, from a man with no credentials that I can find, who claims Catholicism believes in the Trinity because the pagans always have and Catholicism is really four thousand years old and has nothing to do with Christianity. Some swear it just has got to be true.

All Christians should know their own history and it should be a historically accurate history, not fairy tales. The history of Christianity (Catholic and non-Catholic) should be looked at objectively and not condemned as being prideful boasting, or something we just don't need to discuss or think about. Just my 2 cents.

4. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

I think all of us Baptists here would agree with this. Unfortunately, the RCC has presented only a biased view of history and has taught its members to reject anything that contradicts it. That cannot be considered an objective look at history. The reality is that an objective look at the history of the RCC completely undermines its claims to be the true church of Jesus Christ. It undermines the claims of its leaders to be the infallible vicar of Christ on the earth. Such objectivity is sorely lacking in those who are not at liberty to look at the true state of affairs in church history.

5. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

Try a non-Catholic book like Eerdman's Handbook to the History of Christianiy. It gives the credentials of all the contributing authors, even a Baptist if I remember correctly, and tries to present a historically accurate account.

God Bless

6. Yelsew

Yelsew Guest

Look Folks, I'm not talkin about who begat who in my opening post! I'm talking about the Body of Christ as it is illustrated in scripture.

Thessalonian would have us all believe that the Catholic church is the be all-end all of the church. But that is not what Jesus describes in the illustration of the Vine and Branches. The main branch of a vine or tree is not all there is to a geneology tree. For example, grapes are seldom found on the main branch of a grape vine, but rather on branches connected to the main branch. There are many branches that make up a fruit tree, and those branches that produce the fruit are not cut off but are pruned to produce more fruit.

My point is this: In the geneology tree of the church, the "reformers" remain branches of the church tree regardless of what people like Thessalonians say. As branches of the one true church, the reformers can trace their roots as far back as any catholic can.

There is but one church of Jesus Christ, but that church has many branches, with "apparently" only two main branches, roman and orthodox. All of the reformer/protestant branches are, in spite of what the catholic branch wants to acknowledge, part of the whole. That probably gauls some catholics, but it remains the truth of the Church of Jesus Christ.

7. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

Quite right! Historically this is true. This is actually what I was taught as a Catholic. The problem comes from the Protestants who don't want to believe it. Some don't want to acknowledge their Catholic roots.

God Bless

[ November 08, 2003, 10:07 PM: Message edited by: Kathryn ]

8. Yelsew

Yelsew Guest

Perhaps, but there is only one root, all the rest are branches, and branches have branches. The one root is Jesus Christ. It is in Him that we all are nourished.

9. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

Draw a picture of the tree through the centuries. The Protestant branches broke away. As Christians however we all share the same Jesus Christ.

10. Yelsew

Yelsew Guest

"Giving birth" is a painful process for a "mother" human, and it seems that "sprouting branches" is also a painful process for vines and trees. Some it seems, never get over it!