1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

General Baptist Statement of Faith

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Michael Wrenn, Oct 7, 2001.

1. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

The following statement from the General Baptist website contains generally what I believe, although I have some disagreement with the part on hell. Here is a link to the site: http://www.generalbaptist.com/state.html

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>We believe in the personal return of Jesus Christ, and in the bodily resurrection of the dead. We believe that God will judge all mankind by Jesus Christ; that He will reward the righteous with eternal life in heaven, and that He will banish the unrighteous to everlasting punishment in hell.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Okay this is their doctrinal statement (final section). You brought it up. What about hell don't you agree with?

I assume you would include a much stronger statement.

3. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Bob,

I would say that I believe in a "conditional" eternal hell. That is, I believe those there may still have a chance to repent and be liberated therefrom. I base my belief partly on the scripture that says after Jesus's crucifixion He went and "made proclamation to the spirits in prison."

Okay, you can get out your hammer; I'm expecting it and ready for it.

4. Joey M

Joey M New Member

Jesus went to those in Abrahams bosom or paradise, to lead captivity captive. Of which between Paradise and hell was a great gulf fixed. Jesus never went to those in hell, but rather to lead the OT saints, who looked forward to the cross, to be with Him in heaven.
    I know there are some who don't hold to this , but based on what Jesus said to the thief on the cross that "this day shall you be with me in paradise." and what Paul said about to be absent of the body and present with the Lord. I can't see it any other way.

Either way, There is no second chance once in hell...
    "And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment."

5. Sir Ed

Sir Ed New Member

Isn't everyone unrighteous?

6. Joey M

Joey M New Member

Sir Ed, yes we are all unrighteous within our own flesh. But at the time of conversion Jesus Christ imputed His righteousness unto us. That is He credited His righteousness to us, though we didn't deserve it.
    2 Cor 5:21 "For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him."

Romans 3:22A "22Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe:..."