1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

General Petraeus Was Inaccurate in 2004; Is He Accurate Today?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by KenH, Sep 10, 2007.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. Petra-O IX

Petra-O IX Active Member

I wonder if General Petraeus will be saying the same thing ten years from now.All he needs to do is keep a form copy of his op-ed , change the date and reissue.

3. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

My perception of the General, is that he is honorable and dedicated to victory. But he has to fight Congress and the leftists here at home that have given you fellows your marching orders.

4. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I do not know if he was competely accurate or not. I listened to the whole thing on the radio while driving to OK today for training. He came across to me as honest and intelligent. Whether or not he was, the attacks from him by US Congressmen questioning his ability to run a war is a disgrace.

There is no substitute for experience, especially in the realm of combat and service. You can talk about it all day, but is impossible to relate the entire experience, kind of like taking a photo of the Grand Canyon and showing it to someone who has not been there.

5. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Personally, I think that General Petraeus is honorable. I am just not sure that his publically declared observations are totally free of bias. After all, President Bush has shown he has a rather quick trigger in changing out generals if they don't give him what he wants.

#5 KenH, Sep 10, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2007
  6. TomVols

TomVols New Member

What I find amazing is how Biden went on TV yesterday criticisng the General's testimony....24 hours before it was given.

On second thought, it's not so amazing.

7. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't like the pre-testimony criticism either, but it is fair game when the the other side is talking about the testimony as well ahead of time.

8. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Cato Scholar Comments on Report

Monday 10 September 2007

Christopher Preble, director of foreign policy studies:
    The challenge for Gen. David Petraeus and Amb. Ryan Crocker when they testify this week will be to tell us what we don't already know. The truth is obvious to all Americans: Iraq is beset by sectarianism, and is no closer to political reconciliation today than it was when the surge started. In that crucial sense, it is obvious that the surge has failed. There are grounds for doubting even the more narrow claim that the surge has contributed to greater security in Baghdad. Some recent reports suggest that the ethnic cleansing campaign waged by Shiites against Sunnis has largely run its course. Meanwhile, fighting has erupted between competing Shiite factions in Karbala and Basra.

"The Bush administration's point people in Iraq are expected to claim that, with additional time, political reconciliation might still take hold. But we have heard such predictions before and Americans are rightfully skeptical of such claims. If the Bush administration does not put forward a comprehensive plan for removing all troops from Iraq by the end of 2008, Congress should force the president's hand."

- www.cato.org:80/homepage_item.php?id=643

9. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Biden would be about the last Democrat I would vote for, and there is not a one of the announced ones I would vote for. I still remember Mr Biden and the 1988 speech. Say, how do you like Fred?

Just a gut feeling, but I see a vast difference in the credibility of the General and that of the Bush Administration.

10. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Being critical of the man and impugning his integrity is hardly the same as being critical of the testimony.

I would think you could recognize the difference. Democrats can't.