1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Genesis 6 day literal or not?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Jedi Knight, Dec 24, 2009.

1. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Sort of reminds me of Satan's questioning of Eve. When Eve answered Satan, Satan's reply was, "Did God really mean?" In fact, this questioning of the creation account, is nothing short of being used by Satan to say, "Did God really mean....?"

The Bible says what God did in plain, black and white terms. Only someone who wants to question God's word reads between the lines.

2. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I like that!

3. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

But God gave us accounts in His word that are not puzzles or riddles. While it is true that there are things about God's nature we cannot comprehend since we are not God, God is perfectly capable of explaining what we do need to understand in a way that all men can understand it through all time.

Therefore, God would not give a false account of a 6 day creation to men just because they would not understand anything else, because God could have said he created the world/earth over a long period of time. He did not say this, however. We should take Him at His word, especially when He repeats it in Exodus.

God is not limited to our understanding but God does not limit our understanding just because of that in areas which He has disclosed to us (such as creation). He gives us what we can know and understand without any deception.

4. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Miracles do not violate God's natural law; they supersede natural law. Since God is the Creator, He can and does go beyond the natural laws He has set up, such as the virgin birth, the incarnation, the resurrection, turning water into wine, etc.

These are not violations of natural law just because they are miraculous; since God created the laws by which the universe operates, He can certainly suspend or supersede them. God does not go against His nature but He can and does do what He wills with His creation.

Many apologists have refuted the claim that miracles violate natural law and therefore cannot occur or somehow take away from the account of miracles in the Bible.

I suggest everyone read this in order to respond to this charge:
    http://www.mtio.com/articles/aissar53.htm

5. Darrenss1

Darrenss1 New Member

When I read people saying God is too small doesn't achieve what they want either. Obviously the supposed problems are what God created, speed of time we know things occur eg:
    Gen1:12 And the earth brought forth grass, and herb yielding seed after his kind, and the tree yielding fruit, whose seed was in itself, after his kind: and God saw that it was good.

I don't see any problem since the bible closes that day off, when it comes to God anything is possible, unless then 1 day isn't a normal day but then the evening and morning marked off the day, either way it doesn't make sense if its just a natural process gen is speaking of but we know its supernatural and not natural:

Gen 1:13 And the evening and the morning were the third day.

Darren