1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Genesis 6

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by G.B.MAC., Sep 2, 2001.

1. John Wells

John Wells New Member

Let’s see now. You are using a Babylonian myth and Sumerian myth to draw conclusions from the Word of God, which you imply is just another myth along the same order. I wonder why I should have a problem with that. Pretty “worldly” of you there BW. Are you suggesting that the author of Genesis "stole" the story from one of these?

At: http://gatewaystobabylon.com/gods/partnerships/enkininhur3.html we read, “This myth also stands in direct opposition to its Paradise counterpart of the Old Testament Bible, and I will do my best for you to enjoy the ride!”

[ November 16, 2001: Message edited by: John Wells ]

2. BWSmith

BWSmith New Member

>Wells: Let’s see now. You are using a Babylonian myth and Sumerian myth to draw conclusions from the Word of God, which you imply is just another myth along the same order.

BWS: Yes, although the Biblical myth serves to convey truth about the relationship between God and man.

> I wonder why I should have a problem with that.

BWS: Me too.

> Pretty “worldly” of you there BW.

BWS: What do you mean by "worldly"? Engaging in critical scholarship is worldly?

> Are you suggesting that the author of Genesis "stole" the story from one of these?

BWS: No, I'm suggesting that they are literary cousins. The Genesis version is a rewrite of a common tradition that Israel held for centuries after they inherited it from neighboring cultures and reshaped it. There's no "stealing" involved.