1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Genesis 8:21

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by PrimePower7, Aug 15, 2009.

1. PrimePower7

PrimePower7 New Member

When I read Genesis 8:21 and Romans 8:21, I find a complex issue. Is the ground cursed even now or is it not? If it's not, it should look like post flood, Noaic earth, should it not? If it is cursed, then, what does Genesis 8:21 mean?

2. The Archangel

The Archangel Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    PrimePower7,

Good question! Remember that God curses the ground way back in Genesis at the fall of Adam and Eve. That is the curse that Paul is referring to in Romans 8.

The ground was cursed by God in order that mankind would have a difficult time obtaining food, etc. from it. It is a consequence of the Fall.

Genesis 8 is dealing with a specific event--the flood. The word "curse" can be translated "dishonor." This passage is most likely referring to a global, world-wide destruction. God says two things in a "neither/nor" construction--He won't curse the ground because of man and He won't kill every living creature. The construction seems to suggest (and I'd have to go back to the Hebrew to be absolutely certain) that these are two related things (as in two sides of the same coin). So, God is saying that He won't wipe out the planet again, at least until the time of the end.

But, until the end, because of the Fall in Genesis 3, all creation is "groaning" under the curse and will continue to do so.

I hope that helps!

Blessings,

The Archangel

3. Allan

Allan Active Member

Ditto his remarks :thumbs:

4. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I won't argue with his answer either. Maybe it shouldn't be in a "debate" forum. :)

5. PrimePower7

PrimePower7 New Member

excellent

Yes, thanks for pointing that out. They are two different Hebrew words.