1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Geneva Bible 1560 edition

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by JFox1, Feb 3, 2008.

1. JFox1

JFox1 New Member

I got it in the hardcover edition. The spelling is hard to read, but I love the numerous notes on the side of each page.

Ifaia'h 26:3:

By an affured purpofe wilt thou preferue perfite peace, becaufe the trusted in thee.

Iohn 3:16

For God fo loued the worlde, that he hathe giuen his onely begotten Sone, that whofoeuer beleueth in him, fhulde not perifh, but haue euerlafting life.

I also like Lloyd Berry's intoduction to the Geneva Bible.

English settlers who traveled to the New World favored the Geneva Bible and it is believed that it was used by the Jamstown colony. In 1620, the Pilgrims brought the Geneva Bible with them on the Mayflower.

It is a great translation.

:thumbs: :jesus: :godisgood:

2. Keith M

Keith M New Member

Yes, by 1620 the 1611 KJV probably had no major following, so the most readily available Bible for the Pilgrims would have been the Geneva Bible.

If anyone is interested, there is an online Geneva Bible available at www.studylight.org but this online version does not have the notes included.

3. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  4. Logos1560

Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have read that a museum claims to have one copy of a KJV that was said to have been on the Mayflower. I am under the impression that the person who is said to have owned that KJV may have not been one of the Pilgrims. He may have been someone hired by the Pilgrims or have been originally part of the ship's crew.

The claimed existence of one KJV on the Mayflower, even if it happened to be owned by one of the Pilgrims, does not conflict with the earlier statements that the Pilgrims in 1620 would generally have brought copies of the Geneva Bible with them.

5. Keith M

Keith M New Member

As I understand it, the Geneva Bible was THE Bible for many years. The KJV of 1611, like so many of today's modern versions, did not gain immediate acceptance and popularity with everyone. It was only years after the KJV was first published that it became THE Bible to many people.

6. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've seen from many sources that the GB was printed until 1644, by Dutch printers, after England had outlawed its printing within the British Empire. Those later printings were the 1599 Edition.

7. Logos1560

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I ordered and received yesterday a hardback copy of the Hendrickson reprint of the 1560 Geneva Bible.

8. Logos1560

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I had not noticed before, but the 1560 edition of the Geneva Bible has "The Prayer of Manasseh" at the end of 2 Chronicles. In the "the names and order of all the books of the old and New Testament" after the title page, it is also listed after 2 Chronicles: "The prayer of Manasseh" and is identified as "apocrypha."

The Geneva Bible has a marginal note besides its text that stated:
    "This prayer is not in the Hebrew, but is translated out of the Greek."

9. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe the Geneva Bible to be a version greatlu used by God, as was/is the KJV and the versions that followed it. All valid versions, old and new, are part of God's plan to present His word to the world.