1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Gentiles not the "elect"?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by webdog, Oct 26, 2006.

1. Jeep Dragon

Jeep Dragon Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I use the GSV (Google Standard Version). :thumbsup:

2. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

You are not alone Jeep, there are a lot of others on here that use the same as you.

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I believe jews are people. I'm not Mel Gibson :)

4. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Your post of the Bible are always hyper-linked to the "Blue Letter Bible". I guess some are BLBOnly on here. :)

5. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

speak for yourself jamie;:BangHead:

The Bible, King James Version

Old and New Testaments,
    with the Apocrypha

Here is link for Blue letter Bible and tonight after you posted is first time I ever been there so you tell false.

Repent James!!!

http://www.blueletterbible.org/

#25 Brother Bob, Oct 28, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2006
  6. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Bob...and I don't care where you clip your verses from. No need to hid from the truth. It did not start today...I have seen it for months. But I clip from BLB and other places because I don't feel like typing the verse. I never used google bible though..:)

http://www.baptistboard.com/showpost.php?p=885545&postcount=274

10-21-2006, 08:50 PM
    http://www.baptistboard.com/showpost.php?p=882301&postcount=94

This one goes back to May
    http://www.baptistboard.com/showpost.php?p=875959&postcount=14

#26 Jarthur001, Oct 28, 2006
  7. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

James;
    I do not lie. I have never used BLB not once. Those posts absolutely did not come from BLB. They came from Strongs, thank you very much. Today was the first time I have ever been to BLB and thats the truth before God Himself.

#27 Brother Bob, Oct 28, 2006
  8. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

sorry Bob I was mislead. I thought maybe they did come from BLB being that they are linked to the site. If you click on the blue letters on the side of your post...it takes you to the place where it comes from in this case..BLB. But maybe you just clip it from another site and link it to BLB. The 1st time I say this was like 6-8 months ago. It pops up when I reply to your post. Well...no matter..now that you told me.

Anyway...My bad...I was just mislead Bob.

9. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

No James we both were right. I use Strongs but Strongs took me to BLB and I did not know it. I clicked like you said and then went to Strong's and put in a word and it took me to the same place. You were right but I did not know it. All this time I been going sometimes to BLB and did not know it. I do use the KJV that is not BLB most of the time though. Sorry,

10. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

You sure you're baptist? You came back, admitted you were wrong and apologized. I need to find another Baptist rule book because I must have torn that page out.

11. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I use Bible Gateway, myself. That way I get twenty English versions to pick from. :thumbsup: :rolleyes:, not to mention over 40 others in languages I cannot read a word in. [​IMG]

Ed

#31 EdSutton, Oct 29, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2006
  12. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Oh, so you believe in READING in tongues? :laugh: :laugh:

13. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Heres not just one answer, but two, showing that not just one Gentile, but many Gentiles, were elect, according to Paul.

1 Thessalonians 1:4

The Thessalonians were Israelites ? They were not Gentiles ? This wasn't Paul writing ?

The Colossians were Israelites ? They were not Gentiles ? This wasn't Paul writing ?

#33 pinoybaptist, Oct 29, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2006
  14. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

That was not the question. The question was to show where the Gentiles were called the "elect".

15. npetreley

npetreley New Member

I'm lost. I posted a Collossians quote, too. Are these and many other verses absent from their bibles?

16. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

The Thessalonians and church were only composed of pure gentiles? You have proof of this? I always thought that the greeks were judaism converts...jewish prosyelytes or were decendents of jewish parents. I could be wrong.
    How was this church formed? Is this a gentile church? Why would a gentile church need correcting in the infusion of the jewish sacraments upon Christianity?

17. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

"Elect" is just another word for "chosen". Writing to the church at Ephesus, in Ephesians 1.3-6, Paul says:

3 ¶ Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ,
    4 just as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before Him in love,
    5 having predestined us to adoption as sons by Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the good pleasure of His will,
    6 to the praise of the glory of His grace, by which He has made us accepted in the Beloved.

We know from Acts 19.8-10 that the church at Ephesus was made up of some converted Jews and some converted gentiles.

How strange to imagine that anyone (Jew or gentile) could be a Christian if God had not chosen or elected them! We would then have people in heaven against God's choice, against His wishes. It would also mean that we would have something to boast about. "How sensisible I was, to become a Christian!" No, a thousand times no! Think of Ephesians 2.1-10:

1 ¶ And you He made alive, who were dead in trespasses and sins,
    2 in which you once walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience,
    3 among whom also we all once conducted ourselves in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, just as the others.
    4 ¶ But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us,
    5 even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved),
    6 and raised us up together, and made us sit together in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus,
    7 that in the ages to come He might show the exceeding riches of His grace in His kindness toward us in Christ Jesus.
    8 For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God,
    9 not of works, lest anyone should boast.
    10 For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them.

The very next verses show that these words were addressed in particular to gentiles.

Think also of God's promise to Abraham that in his seed all the nations of the earth (not just the Jews) would be blessed. This is echoed in the New Testament in passages like Galatians 3.28-29:

28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus.
    29 And if you are Christ’s, then you are Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise.

As for a verse in which gentiles are called "the elect", we have Colossians 3.12, which follows some teaching in verse 11 on the fact that in Christ, nationailty and social status make no difference:

12 ¶ Therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, put on tender mercies, kindness, humility, meekness, longsuffering;

Yes, I realise that the word "the" in the phrase "the elect of God" is in italics, meaning that it has been added by the translators, but is there really any difference between being "elect of God" and being "the elect of God"?

Every blessing,

18. 2BHizown

2BHizown New Member

In the OT the Israelites were a chosen race, which is a picture of what was to come in the NT.

There is no race to the elect of God. God's elect are from any and every country, race and such. They are the saved, the spiritual church of God, those who will occupy heaven.
    Ephesians 2 shows how we are justified after having been elected and predestines in eternity past!

Now to show where the Jews fit into all this it is explained in Romans 2:28,29
    For he is not a Jew, which is one outwardly; neither is that circumcision, which is outward in the flesh.
    But he is a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit, and not in the letter, whose praise is not of men, but of God!

The elect are God's chosen ones that He has saved for all eternity. Doesnt matter if they are Jew or Gentile they must all come to faith in Christ the same way, through faith and repentance of sin and belief on their Savior!

There are still many elect walking the earth, unsaved, and God will bring them to Himself in His own time! We share the gospel with all and all who ask for His mercy and repent will be saved!

19. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

"Soitenly!" Scripture says not a word about that! :thumbsup: :laugh:

Ed