1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Gentiles salvation During the Law?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by drfuss, Jun 26, 2008.

1. drfuss

drfuss New Member

Quote:
    Drfuss: In John, Jesus tells the Samaritan woman that salvation is of the Jews implying that Samaritans cannot be saved. Does that mean that Gentiles must become Jews to receive salvation?

HP: Excellent question. What do you think?:)
    Doesn’t it depend on whether or not you are referring to those living in this dispensation or the ones of the OT or both? Would it also not depend on ones definition of a Jew? Paul stated Ro 2:28 “For he is not a Jew, which is one outwardly; neither is that circumcision, which is outward in the flesh:”

drfuss: Okay, I didn't adquately define my question. Let's limit it to the time from Moses to the cross/ressurrection.

Question:
    In John, Jesus tells the Samaritan woman that salvation is of the Jews implying that Samaritans cannot be saved. Does that mean that Gentiles must become Jews to receive salvation during the time from Moses to the cross?

2. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    When Jesus spoke with Nicodemus He explained to him this same thing when He said;

"Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and [of] the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again. The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit". (John 3)

Nicodemus should have known the prophecy of this rebirth written by the OT writers but he was dumbfounded. Thus, Jesus rebuked him for being a Pharisee and not knowing these things.

"Jesus answered and said unto him, Art thou a master of Israel, and knowest not these things?"

Hebrews speaks of the New Covenant that has come through Jesus Christ (Heb 8&10). It was not forced onto the Jews, they were given the choice to accept God's offer of the rebirth spoken of in the OT (showing that Calvinism theology of election is false) but they rejected the promise declared in the OT that was brought to pass through Jesus Christ. So in part they have been blinded until the times of the Gentiles is fulfilled (Ro 11). Then, after the tribulation, God will remove the blindness and once again allow them to see Jesus as Saviour and the remnant will ebrace Jesus and be saved (Ro 11).

Notice the beautiful promise written in Eze 36:27 And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them.

It is an act of God. The born of God believer remains true to God because God "causes" them through regeneration, a new heart that personally knows God, loves God, a clean heart that sets itself on the things of God. Not a puppet, not a robot, but a heart that always loves as a little child loves his father.

A "new creature" !

Praise Him! :jesus: The Author and Finisher of our faith!

3. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Wow, I was captivated... What a great post!

I agree that many feel the NT is a new theology when clearly God hasn't changed from yesterday and he will be the same God forever.