1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

George McGovern Scolds Democrats

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by carpro, Aug 14, 2008.

1. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121815502467222555.html?mod=djemEditorialPage

My Party
    Should Respect
    Secret Union Ballots

By GEORGE MCGOVERN
    August 8, 2008; Page A13

As a congressman, senator and one-time Democratic nominee for the presidency, I've participated in my share of vigorous public debates over issues of great consequence. And the public has been free to accept or reject the decisions I made when they walked into a ballot booth, drew the curtain and cast their vote. I didn't always win, but I always respected the process.

Voting is an immense privilege.

That is why I am concerned about a new development that could deny this freedom to many Americans. As a longtime friend of labor unions, I must raise my voice against pending legislation I see as a disturbing and undemocratic overreach not in the interest of either management or labor.

SNIP

To my friends supporting EFCA I say this: We cannot be a party that strips working Americans of the right to a secret-ballot election. We are the party that has always defended the rights of the working class. To fail to ensure the right to vote free of intimidation and coercion from all sides would be a betrayal of what we have always championed.

2. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is this the same short term memory that elected G. Bush to a second term? :laugh:

3. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "I worry that there has been too little discussion about EFCA's true ramifications, and I think much of the congressional support is based on a desire to give our friends among union leaders what they want."

George McGovern

4. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

quote from above;
    "Under EFCA, workers could lose the freedom to express their will in private, the right to make a decision without anyone peering over their shoulder, free from fear of reprisal."

Would they want national elections held in the same way? I don't think so.

5. billwald

billwald New Member

Yes, I want national elections to be honest. I propose posting country voter lists on the web so that people can check for dead neighbors. I propose that all votes and names be posted on the web. Then each person can check his own vote and write his own program to make a tally of the votes.

6. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

Most wants an honest election, but most like an election where their vote is private. In a private vote no one can put pressure on someone after the election as much as they could if their vote was open, But one could look at my yard and see a few who I would vote for, because of their posters.

7. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Another intimidating tactic by unions. I sure hope something like this never passes...

8. sag38

sag38 Active Member

If Unions are so great for the workers then why do they have to resort to strong hand tactics to get workers to sign on?

9. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They are as sneaky, corrupt, and untrustworthy as any corporation. And the AFL-CIO has become an arm of the radical lefting liberal movement.

10. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

I think America would be far better off if we didn't have labor unions. They are a major reason we are becoming less and less competitive in the world economy. They keep labor costs artificially high and force corporations to give their members better benefits than their professional counterparts. They have even succeeded in limiting union layoffs when huge cuts are being made in management ranks. They have tried to institute artificial job security when there is no more job security.

11. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Well said. :thumbs:

12. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

One good example is the recent negotiation with Verizon. The union wanted them to guarantee job security in an industry that is loosing out to wireless and VoIP. They don't seem to realize that once we can wirelessly get 5, 10 or 100 megs the copper wires will become little used items of antiquity.

13. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wanna see the main cause of "outsourcing"?

Right on, BB!!

14. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

Much like the "religious right" has become completely controlled by the GOP.

For you to label them as "sneaky, corrupt, and untrustworthy" without offereing any evidence for such allegations really speaks volumes.

Don't worry: I don't expect anything.

BiR

15. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wonder why there's no such thing as the "religious left"?:confused:

16. Baptist in Richmond

There is such a thing, carpro.

17. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Probably for the same reason that most athiests are liberals.

18. Baptist in Richmond

I see that you have taken to responding to yourself.
    The last time I saw that happen, it was a person who had two logins on the same board.

:laugh:
    Oops.......

19. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    “I wonder why there's no such thing as the "religious left"?

“There is such a thing, carpro.

“Probably for the same reason that most athiests are liberals.

Good progressive conversation.

20. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/opinion.apx.-content-articles-RTD-2008-08-19-0005.html
    McGovern's Right!

Tuesday, Aug 19, 2008 - 12:09 AM

We've always admired George McGovern's character -- even though we've rarely agreed with his political philosophy. The former senator is, after all, a war hero who refused to exploit for personal advantage his courage as a WWII aviator. And he has demonstrated an admirably open mind. A few years back, after a failed effort to run a New England inn, he admitted that government regulation and taxes make it harder for entrepreneurs to succeed.

So we were not surprised to read a recent column by McGovern in The Wall Street Journal defending the sanctity of the secret ballot in union organizing elections. His stance puts him in direct opposition to most of the Democratic Party, including Sen. Barack Obama.