1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

George Washington

Discussion in 'History Forum' started by Martin, Jun 12, 2006.

1. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can somone give me the name of a good biography on George Washington?

I am looking for something with as little ideology as possible. Just a straight life of Washington. I don't want some author's opinion on Washington's religion (etc), just a book about his life.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

2. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ???

Guess the answer is no?

3. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

The problem is that you can't have an accurate biography seperated from his religion.
    A mans faith is so intwined with his life that to seperate the two would negate the complete accuracy of the bio.
    Now, on the other hand, someone tryiong to twist his beliefs to promote an agenda is another idea altogether.

4. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but you might want to check out the works of James Thomas Flexner.

He has written a two volume biography on Washington as well as a one volume work (Washington: The Indispensible Man).

Another usually reliable author is Paul Johnson (George Washington: The Founding Father).

5. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==O, I understand that. I am trying to avoid some historian giving his opinion. I am looking for something that is more fact based with as little bias in it as possible (I know there will always be some). I am just looking for a good, factual biography on Washington.

6. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks! I will look those up! :thumbs:

7. Ralph III

Ralph III New Member

Martin,
    I know you were not looking so much on his religion; However, I am reading "Wasington's God" by Michail Novak and Jana Novak. It has thus been an excellent book containing a biography of Washington, in addition to his beliefs, and the Revolutionary war. The author offers excellent insight and many personal letters by Washington. Good Luck, Ralph

#7 Ralph III, Jun 18, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2006
  8. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Thanks. I was able to pick up "Washington's God" last week. Your right, it is a great book. I also picked up "Founding Father" by Brookhiser about Washington. I have not read it yet.