1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Get Ready! the entire TNIV will be released next week!

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by EaglewingIS4031, Jan 27, 2005.

1. EaglewingIS4031

EaglewingIS4031 New Member

Lifeway is refusing to carry it.
    Is LifeWay's piousness...
    because of the gender controversey?
    or
    because of competition for the HCSB?

Afterall LifeWay stores already sell other gender-nuetral versions such as: The Message,NLT, NRSV, et al. Why single out the TNIV.

<><
    EW

P.S. It might be because they know it won't sell...I woudn't give a nickel for a copy of the TNIV.

2. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

Judging from the HIGH retail prices in most of these places I'd say it is indeed true that..."The LOVE of money is the root of all evil".As for the HCSB...well...I never saw the point in "another version" anyway.

Greg Sr.

3. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    IBS is selling TNIV pew Bibles for $4.99 in quantity. That's the same price as the KJV it sells and cheaper than the NASB and NKJV.

4. David J

David J New Member

The LOVE of money is the root of all evil".

Even rape? Adultery? :0

I personally don't care for the TNIV. It's too liberal for me.It's one of those that I put with the Message etc.. I'll stick with my NASB(1995).

David J.

5. yabba

yabba New Member

The TNIV pushes gender neutrality beyond that of the NLT or even the Message (used these because they were mentioned above). Take a look at Luke 17:3 In four translation
    First the NASB:
    3"Be on your guard! If your brother sins, rebuke him; and if he repents, forgive him.
    NLT:
    3I am warning you! If another believer sins, rebuke him; then if he repents, forgive him.
    3"Be alert. If you see your friend going wrong, correct him. If he responds, forgive him.
    TNIV:
    3So watch yourselves. “If any brother or sister sins against you, rebuke the offender; and if they repent, forgive them.

I do have both the NLT and The Message for comparison but use NASB for my main study. The TNIV will never hit my shelf as it takes the gender neutrality too far, as well as adds words "sister" and "against you".

6. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Already have mine on order! Can't wait

7. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Does Lifeway sell the Good News Bible?

8. west

west New Member

The verse in the Message in that verse above is really different .Friend and believer .

9. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Actually, I have not seen the Good News Bible in our local Lifeway store, but I have seen thousands of NIV's sitting very close to HCSB's.

There may be a little of both, but I do know one or more of the members of the SBC's group that owns Lifeway was involved with the agreement made in Colorado with NIV publisher not to publish the TNIV in America (You remember, the contract they signed, then ignored and thumbed their noses at.) The contract was signed not only by the publisher, but was a complete agreement among many other ministers and organizations representing conservative churches (not just Baptist). The complaint was the unnecessary changes in the Greek and Hebrew for political correctness.

I will certainly not be buying a copy of the TNIV and whatever Lifeway's motive, I commend them. If you want one, go to the nearest secular bookstore, I'm sure they will have plenty, right next to all of the Harry Potter books.

10. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  11. Keith M

Keith M New Member

After viewing portions of the TNIV online, there are no plans in my immediate future - nor my distant future - to run right out and buy a copy. Just a little too liberal for me!

12. neopallium

neopallium New Member

I'll pass on this one.

13. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

I will pass on any Bible that makes changes to the original text in order to meet political correctness of the day.

If we cannot translate God's Word correctly from the Greek, Hebrew or Aramaic, then it is simply full of "errors" and thus a bad translation.

If the Greek said, "he", put "he" down in English. That's not difficult. If people cannot read the Bible the way God had his people write it, then we might as well just paraphrase the whole thing.

I look at the TNIV like The Message or the Living Bible (the old paraphrase), and not even a good one at that.

The only thing that really scares me; however, is the money and power that the publisher will put behind the TNIV to make people think it is today's translation in "today's language". I predict it may wind up right up there with the NIV in sales and THIS is downright scarey.

Don't think that the NIV got to be number one in Bible sales because it was the best translation out there. Its called money and marketing. The same thing that makes a lousy hamburger sell billions around the world.

14. mcgyver

mcgyver New Member

I have a real problem with gender neutrality as applied to the word of God, and I believe it to be dangerous to our common faith for the following reason:

(First let me give a little background as to why I use the word "dangerous").
    When I was a soldier, I studied art and artifice of war extensively......I read everything from the writings of Sun Tzu to Che Guevarra and anything in between.
    What I found, was that if one wishes to destroy a nation, belief system, etc.,one must chip away and finally knock out the underpinnings of that system. Once that is done, that system will fall, confusion will exist, and the time will then be ripe to supplant that system with another of one's choosing. We have only to study the history of the Asian continent to see the truth of this axiom in our modern era.

Although we as human beings are, I believe, of equal worth in the eyes of God; yet we were appointed to different roles by His will. Men were to be in the position of leadership....in fact it is quite clear that God set up a patriarcial society from the beginning. In fact part of the curse pronounced upon Eve was that the woman would seek to usurp the authority of the man.

Our society today has done a wonderful job thus far, of blurring the lines that God established between the role of man and woman, and we are indeed reaping the whirlwind.

Therefore, IMO, to attempt to intentionally modify the word of God in order to mollify those who would have us believe that there is no distinction between man and woman is an insidious attack at the very underpinnings of the foundational truths of our faith; at best ignorance, and at worst a satanic attack upon that by which we must measure all truth....The Word of the Living God.

After all...God is the author of perfection, not confusion.

15. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Should I be surprised that the "Art of War" has been referenced in the versions/ translations forum?
    Though you may not like the TNIV (which is fine, I don't like the NKJV, never got the point) to suggest that it is a subversive attempt to undermine the truth of the Word of God is ridiculous! It is a bible translation, not the communist manifesto (which I guess Guevarra would like). If you don't like it fine, don't make this the final battle of the Apocalypse.

16. Glory Bound

Glory Bound New Member

Surely some of you great scholars can compare the TNIV to the greek, and see how it matches up. Comparing it to the NASB or other translations is not really any better than KJVOs comparing NASB to KJV and noting differences.

Specific examples will be very helpful for those of us who aren't so good at greek. :confused:

17. yabba

yabba New Member

Here 'ya go. A verse from the TNIV:

Luke 17:3 So watch yourselves. “If any brother or sister sins against you, rebuke the offender; and if they repent, forgive them.

The problems with this verse is highlighted. The TNIV adds gender neutrality by adding "or sister" and then blatantly changes the meaning of the verse by adding "against you", the Greek has neither. If you would like more examples please visit www.no-tniv.com .

18. mcgyver

mcgyver New Member

Go2church posted:

Should I be surprised that the "Art of War" has been referenced in the versions/ translations forum?
    Though you may not like the TNIV (which is fine, I don't like the NKJV, never got the point) to suggest that it is a subversive attempt to undermine the truth of the Word of God is ridiculous! It is a bible translation, not the communist manifesto (which I guess Guevarra would like). If you don't like it fine, don't make this the final battle of the Apocalypse.
    -------------------------------------------------

My brother,
    That was not my intent....I am merely making the point that once we start to compromise with the world and the prevalent world view, do we not then fall under the same condemnation as the churches at Pergamos and Thyatira? If we compromise the truth at any point, what we have is a lie. At what point then, do we draw the line.
    By the same token, we could say that the New World Translation (JWs) is, as you so succinctly put it "a bible translation, not the communist manifesto"; and we would be correct. The NWT is a translation....one created to fit the theology of a certain group, rather than having their theology fit the Word of God.
    As far as my reference to warfare, I would submit that we as Christians are indeed involved in a war of greater magnitude and more far reaching consequence than any other war.....For we war for men's souls and their eternal destiny. One of the most powerful weapons of war is deception. Why is it that we are commanded to "Test all things; hold fast what is good" (1 Thess 5:21)? A little deception goes a long way when attacking the enemy!
    Or to put it another way: You can take a sausage skin and fill it full of fish......It may look like a sausage, but take a bite and see what happens.
    I therefore stand on my previous post in which I stated my belief that gender neutrality is, (whether intentionally or not) an insidious attempt to compromise the foundations of our belief.
    Oh yes, The final battle of the Apocalypse is already a "done deal".

19. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well we disagree, that is firmly established

20. mcgyver

mcgyver New Member

Brother, I am glad that we have the freedom to disagree....
    Let me ask you this then: What are your reasons for supporting the TNIV? Why do you like the TNIV?
    I ask not to start a fight, but rather a discourse.