1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Getting Baptized more than once

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Jacob Gastrich, Aug 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jacob Gastrich

Jacob Gastrich New Member

A Fundamentalist church in my area (where I wish to serve) requires that all those that were Baptized and saved in non King James Only
    Churches (this includes all Fundamentalist non KJVO churches) be baptized into their church in order to become a member.

What are your thoughts on this? This church is very large (about 3,000) and perhaps a little bigger than the church I want to minister in. Also I am single and perhaps it might be hard there to land a pastorate. But I have in my ministry search run into churches that are open to single people in pastor positions. But these churches were not in my state.

I appreciate the KJV, but I do not like people that force it down my throat. My old pastor was KJV preffered, not KJV Only, as he did read from the NIV and other translations sometimes.

2. Ulsterman

Ulsterman New Member

As someone committed to the use of the KJV I think this is ridiculous.

3. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I am stridently against the KJVO position...but even if I were for that position this is ridiculous. It would be like saying we got baptized in a dark blue shorts and t-shirt as opposed to a baptismal robe thus our baptism is invalidated. Or someone used a water softener in the baptistry and tainted the Spirit moving in the waters. Or the preacher farted right when he got in and messed up the Trinitarian formula. Crazy

This is highly unScriptural...I'll just leave it there

4. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

With this "rule" I would wonder about other "rules" this church may have.

If you want to join this church, I would talk with the Pastor and see why they require this. What is the real reason. See if they will let you join without it, if not, I think I would continue to look for another church.

Jamie

5. Jacob Gastrich

How can I convince the elders of this church?

They think this is what the Bible teaches.

6. Jacob Gastrich

Yeah I notice that the pastor at this church does not preach verse by verse. He does allot of yelling and screaming and his sermons are very basic.

Likewise their Church education also has the same problem. They preach at you, but do not have workbooks, curriculum, or a discussion format.

7. Jacob Gastrich

Especially when you say that thousands of Fundamentalist non KJVO churches are all wrong.

At this church they do not use the Greek, since the KJV is above the Greek.

8. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

From the sound of it, the way you're telling it, I would continue to search for a different church.

They may have their reasons for what they do, but the way it sounds, I wouldn't want any part of it.

Good luck in whatever you decide!

Jamie

9. FBCPastorsWife

FBCPastorsWife New Member

I'm of fundamental background and I am staunchly KJVO as well as my husband. However, the idea that someone must be baptized again just because their previous church wasn't KJVO is ridiculous. That is taking away the true meaning of baptism! Baptism is not representative of what version of the Bible you read!

There is a church here in town that makes people get re-baptized in order to join their church even if they were in a church of like faith previously. This particular church has lost many good families because of this.

10. PeterM

PeterM Member

As others have already stated, this church is creating rules that go far outside the bounds of biblical practice, I would not consider this a good place to join as a layman, and as long as you have freedom from the Lord avoid this church as a minister.

Please commit yourself to seeking the Lord's direction in pastoral ministry. It's not about "landing" a position, but asking God to guide you intentionally and deliberately to the specific place of service.

11. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I would pray on it and if your heart doesn't change I would simply tell them you are not going to be baptized again. If it is the Lord's will you will get the position and if it's not his will you will only get wet.

12. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

Preachers fart??? :eek:

I know of a "certain" preacher who can float from side to side of the baptistry as he pretends to be a motor boat, propelled by the results of the previous night's outting to a fine Mexican restaurant. (#33 on the menu, guys) :saint:

(VVVRrrrrrooooooom)

Seriously, I'd keep looking for another church. You seem to sense in your heart that this is not the way you feel you should go.

13. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Now that was funny, I could see the candidate saying, "it was a whirlpool type baptistry. And they had the jets pointed right at the preacher"... :laugh: :laugh:

14. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

my husband and I were just laughing out loud about that. He said someone was going to say that!

15. Pipedude

Pipedude Active Member

This church has a serious problem. I don't object to a church being KJVO. I don't even object to a church requiring all its members to be baptized into that local assembly. (In other words, I'm pretty laid back about idiosyncratic theological systems.)

But when a church says that it accepts baptisms performed in other Baptist churches, and yet rejects baptisms performed in other Baptist churches that are not KJVO, then that church is making up their religion.

If you don't hold to the doctrine that baptism brings one into a local fellowship only (meaning that you have to be baptized into every new church that you may join over a lifetime), you can only be baptized once. Rebaptism, in such a context, (which is what 99% of Baptists believe), entails the confession that any previous event was not a valid baptism. For this church to say such things about other fundamentalist Baptist Christians is worse than ludicrous; it's abominable.

"The autonomy of the local church" has reached a new low.

16. PeterM

PeterM Member

:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

17. ACADEMIC

ACADEMIC New Member

I allow for re-baptism upon request in instances where someone is coming back to the Lord after a significant time away from him or did not fully appreciate what they did when baptized earlier.

As far as to your specific situation, I have one word of advise:

RUN!

#17 ACADEMIC, Aug 24, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2006
  18. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Well, this would be enough for me to run in the other direction.

19. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I guess that Jesus, Peter, and Paul could not become members because they were not KJVO.

Jesus' disciples were not KJVO where does that put them?

It seems as though they have forgotten the Holy Spirit and substituted a junior holy spirit.

20. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Not too mention Jesus being Jewish... Double wammy for him. Oh, then again, he has yet to be married... What will they do with him?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.