1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Getting in the way of the Holy Spirit

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by stilllearning, May 15, 2011.

1. stilllearning

stilllearning Active Member

God’s perfect plan for His people, is for them to grow in the grace and knowledge of the Lord Jesus Christ;
    And the only time that this happens, is when God’s people follow the instructions given to them by the Holy Spirit.
    --------------------------------------------------
    (1)One way this plan is interrupted, is when a Church or pastor tries to take the place of the Holy Spirit, by laying out rules of behavior for God’s people.
    (Legalistic Churches, stunt people’s Spiritual growth.)

(2)But there is another way this happens, that God warned us about in 1Corinthians......
    1 Corinthians 2:1-5
    V.1 ¶ And I, brethren, when I came to you, came not with excellency of speech or of wisdom, declaring unto you the testimony of God.
    V.2 For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified.
    V.3 And I was with you in weakness, and in fear, and in much trembling.
    V.4 And my speech and my preaching [was] not with enticing words of man’s wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power:
    V.5 That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God.

This may be harder for some people than it is for others; But it is important for us to “deliberately” tone down our “theological jargon”, so that people will be getting God’s message through us, rather “our message” to them.
    --------------------------------------------------
    I know, most of you have paid a lot of money for your education and therefore you feel the need to “use it”, in the way you speak to others.

But this passage clearly warns you, to “make the determination”, to make yourself sound “dumb” sometimes, so that God’s people will realize their need to look to the LORD for wisdom, rather than you or I.