Getting Ready to Preach

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by Tom Bryant, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant
    Expand Collapse

Hey Guys,
    Do you have any habits (serious, funny or strange) that you do on Sunday mornings before you preach? I know we all pray and look over our notes, but I was wondering about personal kinds of things.

I always have to be alone before I get up to preach so there is nothing else but preaching on my mind. (That's the serious part)

The other is that I remember what Criswell (i think he said it) said about checking his zipper before he stands up. :smilewinkgrin:

Just thought we might like laughing with and at ourselves.

2. puros_bran

puros_bran
    Expand Collapse

I'm not a preacher, at least not in the ordained sense, we are all called to preach and teach the Word to a lost and dying world, but I know that's not what you are meaning.

This past Sunday I filled the pulpit at my church. I assume it was intended as part of 'trying the deacon' that is spoken of in the NT... Anyway. I spent most of Hymn Time praying, "Lord, please don't let me fall down as I walk up there"..... I spent most of my time up there with a little prayer in the back of my mind, "Lord, please don't let pass out while I'm up here"... And I spent most of fellowship time praying "Lord, thank you"....

I honestly don't see how you fellers do that week in and week out... I had several tell me I missed my calling, and Pastor and the Mrs actually discussed it this week... But I am pretty sure as tore up as I was that 'preaching' isn't my calling.

God Bless you men that do this wonderful work...

3. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76
    Expand Collapse

I bring my notes up in a little leather folder thingy. My former boss gave it to me the day they shut the office down. "Here, boy! Take this with you. I don't need it."

I look in it 10,000 times to make sure my notes are in it and that the notes are the correct sermon. OCD anyone?

4. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant
    Expand Collapse

Most of us are.