1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

GGBTS?

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by nate, Jan 22, 2006.

1. nate

nate New Member

I enjoyed reading the MABTS thread and was wondering what opinions are of Golden Gate Baptist Theological Seminary in Mill Valley CA? How is it viewed within the SBC community? I read much about SEBTS,SWBTS,SBTS, but not so much about CSBS,MABTS or GGBTS. Thanks for all the replies before hand!
    In Christ,
    Nathan

2. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here locally, the "conservative resurgence" is not seen as having any impact on Golden Gate. In other words, it is viewed as being as liberal as ever.

3. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Golden Gate is still a conservative seminary, but the institution is crippled from being located in one of the highest cost of living areas in the US.

Don't really expect to see GGBTS around for much longer at its current location. Sort of hard to keep it running when you've got people walking up and dumping bags of money in your driveway that would finance a new campus location.

4. Charles E.Smith

Charles E.Smith New Member

Where do you think Golden Gate would move to? I tend to think that most of Calf. is expensive unless you locate in an area like Fresno or Southcentral LA. I think that the SBC needs a seminary in the NE US unless you count MABTS's Albany campus.

5. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have no idea how the seminarians there survive. Seminarians in areas of low cost of living struggle to get by. . . how can anyone survive out there?

6. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Charles E.,

Being that I am an MABTS alum, I am one of those who counts the Albany, NY campus one of those.

Why should the SBC put the time and resouces into the NE with MABTS already there? Do we want to recreate the wheel?

sdg!

rd

7. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    And for that matter why should the SBC abandon the Pacific Coast? Unless there are SBC schools in Portland, SoCal, Spokane, or Seattle I don't know about

8. nate

nate New Member

9. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of all the things that I have heard Golden Gate described as liberal is about the most outragous. It is typical SBC seminary, 2000 BFM and all. The new president is a typical SBC guy so you should expect the typical SBC stuff.

10. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Go2, please note (next time please quote who you are responding to) I wrote:
    This is an opinion of a non-SBC, native San Franciscan, outsider. I am not going to delve into local eccleisiastical politics. Suffice to say, to the best of my knowledge in local matters Golden Gate has been MIA. But then around here, taking a stand that is safe in other parts of the country puts you in the cross hairs of the local "pagan" establishment.

11. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I have a friend who teaches there and he is very conservative. He got his Ph.D. from SWBTS. A friend of mine's dad was very involved in the seminary there and he is very conservative as well. His dad was slated to be the next pres. until he was killed in a plane accident. He had been the pres. of the CA SBC at one time.

I have a much better opinion of GGBTS than SWBTS or any of the others. It has not been involved in the bonfire of political nonsense. The Canadian seminary is doing very well too.

GGBTS is also in Phoenix as well.

12. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Expensive to live in SFO. Hard to live on a professor's salary there unless you want to live in a dog house.

13. Rob't K. Fall

Rob't K. Fall New Member

GB, I live in San Mateo County (over the hill from San Franciso International Airport) and work in The City. So, I can tell you about the cost of living. It's called "God didn't go broke last Monday."

The point is for Golden Gate to leave is to abandon the field. Or is that your basic idea? To abandon a major metropolitan area.

Back when Golden Gate was founded, Mill Valley was cheap. Now it's millionairs acres. But then God's still there to pay the bills for His work.

14. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Its fairly interesting that Golden Gate's Colorado Springs campus has been accredited to give out degrees. Perhaps a move and combination of GGBTS and MWBTS is forthcoming...

seems to be the logical conclusion

15. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is an opinion of a non-SBC, native San Franciscan, outsider. I am not going to delve into local eccleisiastical politics. Suffice to say, to the best of my knowledge in local matters Golden Gate has been MIA. But then around here, taking a stand that is safe in other parts of the country puts you in the cross hairs of the local "pagan" establishment. </font>[/QUOTE]"got it" "next time I will use quotes" "although it would seem you didn't need them"

16. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is an opinion of a non-SBC, native San Franciscan, outsider. I am not going to delve into local eccleisiastical politics. Suffice to say, to the best of my knowledge in local matters Golden Gate has been MIA. But then around here, taking a stand that is safe in other parts of the country puts you in the cross hairs of the local "pagan" establishment. </font>[/QUOTE]"got it" "next time I will use quotes" "although it would seem you didn't need them" </font>[/QUOTE]I did not quote you earlier because I posted directly under your post. That makes it fairly easy for others to get the grip on the thread without clutter. However, if there were at least one intervening post (or as is the case now, this post is on another page) I quote (with snips) the relevant post.

The situation still stands, mayhap because of the way the "conservative resurgence" in the SBC played out locally.

17. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I always thought one of the strengths of Golden Gate was that is was removed from all the nonsense going on in Nashville, Richmond, Louisville and Dallas. BTW - full disclosure - I have a Golden Gate diploma hanging on my office wall

18. PatsFan

PatsFan New Member

Actually the SBC also has a branch of Southern Seminary in Northborough, Massachusetts next door to the Luther Rice homestead.

19. PatsFan

PatsFan New Member