1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Giants and demons

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by npetreley, Mar 6, 2007.

1. npetreley

npetreley New Member

The other thread on Genesis 6:1-4 brought up a subject about which we can only speculate, since there aren't enough details to know exactly what happened. What follows is even MORE speculation. It is ONLY speculation. I will not take a stand one way or another because it is ONLY speculation. But I do find the little hints here and there intriguing, and they have led me to this particular speculation.

When you compare Genesis 6:1-4 to Jude, it suggest the possibility that angels took on the form of humans and took human wives. Some speculate that this union is what was responsible for the giants (nephilim) of that day. Some people do not believe that there were ever giants, but there is sufficient evidence in the Bible that nephilim were, indeed, giants. When the scouts came back with their report on the promised land, they said the saw giants, and assumed that they were descendents of the nephilim. The septuagint translates nephilim as giants. So there's a pretty good case for them actually being giants.

Now, assuming that the nephilim are offspring of angels and women, is it possible that they are some sort of half-breeds? Did the nephilim have some properties of both angels and men? What happened to the angelic part when their bodies died?

My speculation (and I cannot emphasize enough that this is PURE speculation) is that the angelic parts from the dead nephilim roam the earth even today as demons. Having tasted the sensuality of the flesh, they have a thirst for being in flesh. That's why they possess people. That would explain why, when Jesus cast out the "legion", they begged to be cast into the pigs nearby. They were "spoiled' on once having experienced fleshly sensuality and didn't want to be without some sort of fleshly host.

Once again, this is pure speculation, and it's one of those issues that it very trivial from a theological perspective, and certainly not worth getting emotional about. So I hope you won't be tempted to flame me if you disagree. Please, it's not worth flaming. I don't really care if I'm right or wrong because it's not an important issue. It's just that the above makes sense to me and I think it's possible, so I thought I'd share it.

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

That would make for a pretty cool science fiction movie, npretley!

3. Rex77

Rex77 Member

4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Thanks for the link. Good sermon, but too many assumptions for my liking.

5. npetreley

npetreley New Member