1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Gift vs. Prize

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Rufus_1611, Jul 22, 2007.

1. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

What are the differences, if any, between a gift and a prize?

2. Analgesic

Analgesic New Member

Off the top of my head, I'd say that prizes seem to be in the realm of justice while gifts are a matter of grace.

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

A prize is something you win or earn. A gift is neither.

4. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

While on the subject can anyone point to a single birth in the Bible that is referred to as a "gift" to the one who is being born?

5. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, in terms of the scripture, gifts such as the gift of eternal life through Christ Jesus, the gift of the Holy Spirit, and the gift of grace are what God offers His people without their having to merit them.

The bible says that while we were still in the middle of our sinful selves, Jesus died for us. It also says that the gift of grace is the opposite of work in that no human can boast of it.

The word gift is in the bible 104 times. (KJV)

The word prize is in the bible twice. (KJV) It's talking about something that we look forward to and something that we are to focus our attenion on while doing the work here on this earth that God has for us.

Prize, to me, is a reward for perserverance.

Salvation is a gift, not a prize.
    Eternal life is a gift, not a prize.

Going home to God in His Heaven and running into His arms at long last is not a gift. It is a prize. A prize awarded to the Christian after running a good race and fighting a good fight.

6. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

Scarlett,

My compliments on another well articulated post and a wonderful explanation.

Does anyone disagree with Scarlett's explanation? Can we settle on the following as truth?
    • Eternal life through Christ Jesus is a gift.
    • A prize is not the same thing as a gift.
    • A prize is a reward

If we are to agree on the above...are all Christians guaranteed a prize?

7. npetreley

npetreley New Member

If you're trying to take this where I think you're taking it, you had better ask the question, what's the difference between not qualifying for a prize and punishment? Or, to be more precise... "Does failing to win a prize mean you get 1,000 years in hell?"

8. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

How about we just calm down and take it one step at a time?

9. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Okay, I see you want to save the embarrassing part of ME for later so you can cushion it. Fine, I'll just go away and let you proceed with your anti-gospel propaganda.

10. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

Thank you brother, you're very generous.

11. npetreley

npetreley New Member

I know. It's all a part of the righteousness I add to Christ's righteousness. I'm very proud of it.

12. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. Apart from physical birth, I know of no explicit reference (Ps 127:3).

2. With physical birth as a backdrop, Spirit birth is caused by the mercy of God and is therefore a gift (1 Pet 1:3; Titus 3:4, 5). Who can add anything to the miracle?

13. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

gift
    –noun
    1. something given voluntarily without payment in return, as to show favor toward someone, honor an occasion, or make a gesture of assistance; present.
    2. the act of giving.
    3. something bestowed or acquired without any particular effort by the recipient or without its being earned: Those extra points he got in the game were a total gift.

prize
    –noun
    1. a reward for victory or superiority, as in a contest or competition.
    2. something that is won in a lottery or the like.
    3. anything striven for, worth striving for, or much valued.

14. npetreley

npetreley New Member

So what's 1,000 years in hell considered? A booby prize? Oh, right, this isn't about ME (yet). Never mind. ;)

15. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Which is pretty much what I said. It is a gift, in the sense that it's not something that is earned, but it's never referred to as a gift.

Other things are referred to as gifts, and the good gifts come from above, but I don't think it can ever be shown to be referring to simply being born into the family.

"Gift" (dOrean) implies a honorable, free, and bountiful gift. James 1:17 says (more or less) "Every good giving and every perfect gift" is from where? From above. This is the same word used in John 3:3, with "born": "Born from above."

So, they have the same origin, but "gift" in most instances can easily be shown to be referring to something other than being born from above, and I don't think it can be shown that being born from above is a gift to the one to whom the action is happening.

16. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Eternal life is a gift.

Rom 6:23 For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Jhn 3:3 Jesus answered and said to him, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God."

Lest you say that "kingdom of God is referring to the MK, read on...

Jhn 3:15 so that whoever believes will in Him have eternal life.
    Jhn 3:16 "For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life.
    Jhn 3:17 "For God did not send the Son into the world to judge the world, but that the world might be saved through Him.

This is all in the same conversation with Nicodemus. The subject never changed. Jesus was not talking about the MK. He was telling Nicodemus how he could have eternal life.

17. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Well, so far so good. We agree.

Then here, we have to disagree.

Getting born into the family (saved) is not based on works, it's not conditional, and it's secure.

None of those things are in the passage. The aionian life that he is talking about is based on works, is conditional, and is not secure.

I'm sorry to hear that you think that salvation is based on works and can be forfeited.

He was telling him how he could have aionian life. If aionian life is getting saved, then we better start working hard! And we better hope that we've done enough to get saved!

18. npetreley

npetreley New Member

It would be poetic justice if, as a "reward" for your mangling of scripture, Jesus gave you exactly what you expect -- 1,000 years of life, and no more. I'll take the eternal variety, thank you.

19. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Referring to eternal life in John 3:15-16
    G166 aiōnios ī-ō'-nē-os eternal, everlasting, the world began, since the world began, for ever

20. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

So the prize in a cracker jack box is not really a prize, then? It is really a gift?