1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Gillispie out at Kentucky

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Paladin, Mar 27, 2009.

1. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Ed, I respect where you're coming from, but at the same time, I unabashedly and unreservedly stand by what I'm saying because many of the folks who said such have said so publicly and repeatedly. Some said so in the media. Some were in the media. (The likes of Forde, Gupton, Minors, and many others). I have stopped SHORT of what those who have told me things privately have said which are very indicting and even more biting.

I do not deny that there were some that would balk at what I wrote. But knowing what I know and from whom I know it, I stand very firm in what I have heard publicly and privately.

Well....interesting spin you put on it. UK led at halftime, but Thompson adjusted the defense well and clamped down on UK in the 2nd half. Ewing missed the last 9 mins of the 1st half due to foul trouble. Yeah, UK could've won the game. But they were clearly outplayed. This kind of goes to the mentality that UK fans are famous for. No one beats them. No one outcoaches them. They get jobbed or they beat themselves. It's just frustrating to listen to.
    I've used your logic against UK fans re: the Mardi Gras Miracle at Baton Rouge were UK won 99-95 after being down by 30+. The standard reply is: the final score is the one that counts...if LSU could have won they would have....a team capable of winning that game doesn't lose....etc., etc. So in my mind, painful as it is to say, UK could not win that game because they did not have it in them to play 40 minutes of basketball, where GTown did.

I didn't say he was fired. There were many in the boosters who felt the game had passed Hall by. (don't you just love that term?) Hall could've easily coached into the 90s. He was a young man.
    Interestingly, people point to that nat semi as one of Hall's turning points. They point to his lack of adjustment to the Hoyas' adjustments. While Thompson was maniacally subbing and scheming, Hall looked like a substitute teacher. It was painful to watch (I was rooting for UK like crazy).
    But ultimately, the criticisms against Hall outweighed all else. In seven seasons after the national title in '78, you had an NIT 1st round loss, 4 1st or 2nd round exits, and only one final four (the embarassing loss to G-Town). A couple of high seeded teams lost in the opening rounds. That doesn't cut it at UK. 18-13 in what would be his final year.

Ed, I find you to be remarkably reasonable and I mean no disrespect. I will always respect the Cats and some of my favorite people thru the years have been people connected with the UK program. Thanks for chiming in.

2. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

As I previously said, and I repeat, I would stake my reputation on what I said about Coach Rick Pitino leaving UK. You may remember I have previously said I am a sometimes cab-driver, which happens to be where I came upon this information, initially quite unexpectedly. And I fully believe my source to likely be far more knowledgeable to any "inside information" than most of the media types.

Ed

3. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Being a cabbie can be interesting. Obviously, hearsay is part of the job. But, you misunderstand: I am utilizing info from two fountainheads: the first info was that which was widely reported and that no one has disputed. I don't know if you have lived in KY all your life or not, but I lived there through almost the entire Pitino reign, and through Pitino's departure. I know what was reported in the media. It has never been questioned. KY fans I know would be surprised at your reaction.
    There is also some info that was never shared publicly that came about from people as close as you can getto Coach Pitino, C.M., and some very prominent donors whose names you'd likely immediately recognize. (I simply will not play the game of naming names). I will simply say this: my years in and around Lexington/Louisville and other parts of the Bluegrass as a university administrator, pastor, teacher, and businessperson have afforded me some opportunities to work with people who are very and closelyinvolved with and pull the strings on the inner workings of UK athletics (and UL for that matter). These are staff, boosters, and the athletes themselves. I'm not speaking out of conjecture, guess, opinion, or bias. I know what I know and from whom I know it. The former gives tremendous creedence to and confidence in the latter. I am not interested in or trying to persuade you to my "opinion." I'm confident in the facts and their interpretation by those who are central figures in the drama.

Anyway, good luck with Cal. Meanwhile, tell Rich to take it easy on Little Lanie in Lexington next year. :thumbs: