1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Gingrich Plans Massive Outreach

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by KenH, Nov 22, 2006.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Gingrich Plans Massive Outreach

Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich is telling associates that he’s launching a major new grass-roots movement to recapture the soul of the Republican Party, and quite possibly the White House.

Gingrich says that the effort will be much larger than his founding of GOPAC and his creation of the Contract with America.

The Georgia Republican is spearheading a program called "American Solutions for Winning the Future” in an effort to revitalize the GOP with Ronald Reagan conservatism.

- more at www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2006/11/21/195637.shtml?s=al&promo_code=2999-1

2. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

Didn't he divorce his wife when she had cancer? Wasn't he investigated for some kind of criminal charge? A true compassionate conservative.

3. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Gingrich is smart and has many good ideas but is he presidential timber? Not in my book.

4. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

He is very smart, qualified, wants protection for the unborn, and is a sinner, just like me. He will get my vote if he gets far enough.

5. Jack Matthews

Jack Matthews New Member

Dead in the water before he ever gets off the ground.

6. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

2008 is a long time away, but as has been discussed in other threads, the whole list of names put up by republicans so far is not worthy of consideration, Romney, McCain, Guliani, Gingrich, come on folks, there are some high quality candidates out there. We dont have to settle for the terrible to the medicore as in the past. As bad as Cheney is, he is light years better than these clowns.

7. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

can you name some?

8. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

Why is it that his moral short-comings don't bother you like they do with the democrats like Bill Clinton?

9. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

The problem with that question is it probably means can you name someone who is presently covered by the news media that is presently a politician that is high quality? How about a new frame of reference. How about someone who has actually created jobs and wealth like Steve Forbes or Bill Gates? Why do we limit our choices to politicians that probably never created or lead anything? Now, from the past, we have some great leaders, like Teddy Roosevelt, or Abraham Lincoln, or George Washington. The only one that even approaches that in my lifetime is Harry Truman. Are there some politicians out there that are great leaders? No doubt about it. Is the media focused on them? You can figure that one out. Think of the Presidents and their challengers since the 1960's (except maybe Reagan), and think about the quality. Now think about the quality lining up at the gate now for 2008. Same old story isnt it? How do we bring good leaders to the front? I guess the grace of God maybe. If a truly good, kind, and competent leader emerged, this present group of clowns would disappear like yesterday's trash.

10. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Unless you fellas have a ram in the bush you better stick with Rudy. He's the only one I see beating Barack or Hillary who may just get on the same ticket. If that happens, you better pray for a ram because mccain, though popular, won't get the votes.

11. Jack Matthews

Jack Matthews New Member

Gingrich is hanging his hat on returning the Republican Party to the Reagan philosophy of getting the government off the people's backs. That is about as inconsistent with the philosophy of the Christian Right as you can get and still be in the same party, which is why I see Gingrich's movement as being pretty much dead in the water. Reagan had advisors who were quite masterful at pulling in the Christian Right leadership, and also at stalling and winding up delivering absolutely nothing with regard to that agenda. If you compare his speeches and comments you can clearly see that he talked out of both sides of his mouth. He would promise a group of Christian conservatives something in one speech, and assure moderate Republicans that wasn't what he really meant in another. His Supreme Court appointments were carefully crafted to appease, but not change, the balance of the court against Roe v. Wade, and he successfully hid that crafting in the fanfare surrounding the choice of Sandra Day O'Connor as the first female Supreme Court justice. Neither of his Republican successors, Bush I or II, were persuasive enough to hide their intentions to keep the court in favor of Roe and suffered for it. Gingrich doesn't have the charisma, and his personal reputation opens the door to attacks which the Christian right won't want to have to deal with.

Gingrich is trying to carve out a niche in the middle of a party where a niche doesn't exist. The Giuliani-McCain side of the party is moving toward more corporate freedom and control of the economy, and away from social issues of the Christian Right which they now see as too extreme, and the reason for the party's defeat in 2006. The Christian Right wants to divorce itself from support for corporate interests which they see as the reason for the party's defeat in '06, and move toward a conservative social issue while appeasing the working class with economic reform. There's not any room in the middle for Gingrich, whose personal reputation will be an issue with both sides, to drive a wedge. I think his movement will simply push enough Republicans from the moderate wing into the Democratic camp to insure the election of a Democrat as president in 2008, most likely Hillary with either Obama or Edwards on the ticket.

12. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

This has always been a burr in my saddle. The Supreme Court is supposed to "interpret" the law and not make law. They are to be our highest legal authority and experts in the American law. Yet decisions are sent before them over and over again with hopes that a new make up of the bench will change the decision.

Doesn't this imply the original decision was not correct according to the law? Doesn't this mean the supreme court is really just an extension of the political machines? Doesn't this mean the supreme court doesn't interpret law, they make law?

Look at the Dred Scott decision? They upheld slavery with that decision which was later ruled unconstitutional. How is it one court can change the decision of a previous court?

13. hillclimber1

Site Supporter

clinton makes it a way of life.

14. hillclimber1

Site Supporter

Am I correct in assuming he can't count on your vote?

15. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Giuliani, McCain, Romney, or Gingrich will not get the nomimation. The republicans want the white house too bad in 2008 for that. Hey hillclimber, you could start an Oregonians for Gingrich movement. That would go far.

16. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, in your opinion, whom do they nominate to win the White House in 2008?

#16 KenH, Nov 25, 2006
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2006
  17. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

In my opinion, someone who is at the present time not a darling of the media that everyone here seems to base their political perspective on.

18. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    And that would be...?

19. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Governor Huckabee Hound of Arkansas.:laugh:, To tell the truth, I am not sure. If they do not find an alternative to the names above, it will be President Hillary Clinton.

20. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wouldn't vote for Huckabee for dogcatcher. :) In fact, the last time he ran in 2002 I voted for Jimmie Lou Fisher, his Democratic opponent.