1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

GITMO Detainees Can't Challenge in U.S. Courts

Discussion in '2007 Archive' started by carpro, Feb 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    http://www.breitbart.com/news/2007/02/20/D8NDHGF01.html

Court: Detainees Can't Challenge Cases

Feb 20 10:47 AM US/Eastern

By MATT APUZZO
    Associated Press Writer

EXCERPT

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Guantanamo Bay detainees may not challenge their detention in U.S. courts, a federal appeals court said Tuesday in a ruling upholding a key provision of a law at the center of President Bush's anti- terrorism plan.

The U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit ruled 2-1 that civilian courts no longer have the authority to consider whether the military is illegally holding foreigners.

Barring detainees from the U.S. court system was a key provision in the Military Commissions Act, which Bush pushed through Congress last year to set up a system to prosecute terrorism suspects.

2. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Well, that's interesting. The Commander-In-Chief has no civilian oversight in his detentions?

I suppose the Supreme Court will get this if they choose to take it.

3. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Carpro

Thanks for posting this!

It is great when our Constitutional system does what it is supposed to.

Specifically, protect Americans from our enemies - foreign and domestic.

God bless you and yours

Wayne

4. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

I agree !:thumbs:

5. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    GITMO Detainees Can't Challenge in U.S. Courts

...that is how it should be. :thumbs: to the Supreme Court.

6. Daisy

Daisy New Member

That was just the 3-judge Court of Appeals; it hasn't gone to the Supreme Court yet. In the two Gitmo cases before, the SCOTUS ruled for the detainees.

I don't think prisoners, who may or may not have done anything (how can we tell without a basic hearing), should just disappear into a black hole.

7. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    SCOTUS ruled in a prior case that enabling legislation was needed. The legislation is now in place. It will be interesting to see if they rule according to the legislation this time.

8. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

They aren't "prisoners" as we normally think of them, are they? They are illegal combatants who took up arms against the US. Under our constitution, they have no right to our court system. IMO, given our budget issues, our tax dollars should not be spent tying up our courts on people who are not a part of our system of government.

9. Daisy

Daisy New Member

They're imprisoned, some for over 5 years with no charges.

Says who? It was determined that roughly 5% at Guantanamo Bay were actually captured on the battlefield by US forces. The whole point of habeas corpus is to determine what the charges are and if they are sufficient. Two hundred have already been let go without being charged with any crime and nearly four hundred remain.

That's arguable as we are holding them on territory, the military base, that we control. The Military Commissions Act did strip the detainees, if you prefer, of the statutory right to habeas corpus, but not necessarily of the constitutional right. That will probably be decided by the Supreme Court unless Congress amends the Act before then.

10. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

There are countless people who were not "detained" becuase they were not deemed to be illegal combatants. I don't know what the legal ins and outs are, but when you decide to take up arms, you get what you get. The smart thing would have been for these people to not fight, but to join the war against terrorism. To me, that seems like a no-brainer.

11. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

Who's footing the bill for their indefinite detainment?

12. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

This entire GITMO situation is a disgrace.

13. Daisy

Daisy New Member

5% of them were armed on the battlefield. The other 95% were turned for bounty or revenge, turned over by Afghani or Iraqi forces, were simply in the wrong place (Afghanistan or Iraq) or were somehow deemed suspicious.

Why do you think that most of them had taken up arms against the US? I mean, what makes you think that they did, the other 95%?

14. 777

777 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This might smoke him out.

SCOTUS said the other plan didn't have enough congressional oversight, this one does.

15. npc

npc New Member

It's fascinating to see Christians advocate that our country do whatever it takes to protect Americans, including violating basic political rights such as habeas corpus.

16. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

I have never personally heard of political rights.

17. 777

777 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's what those two Border Agents are saying.

They are captured terrorists that have no constitutional rights, sucks for them they're not all Mexican drug-smugglers, then your president would cut them a deal.

I do think the US is letting the GITMO prisoners put on too much weight, however.

18. npc

npc New Member

Then perhaps you would like to make a quick trip to Wikipedia to aquaint yourself with the basics.

Several people have already been released from Guantanamo after officials admitted they weren't terrorists. We don't know how many more of the prisoners still being kept are just as innocent, because they have not gotten due process. Do you have any evidence that the mistakes that led to detainment of several innocent people as "terrorists" won't be made again?

I'm glad you take an interest in U.S. politics (though I infer you aren't a citizen); I suggest you familiarize yourself better with our Constitution.
    I absolutely support bringing justice to terrorists. Where I disagree with the more fundamentalist Christians is whether we should do that by due process, or simply scoop up and lock away potential terrorists.

#18 npc, Feb 23, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2007
  19. 777

777 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good to see you got your priorities straight!

Okay, I'll familiarize myself better when it if you promise read the thing!

Then perhaps you would like to make a quick trip to Wikipedia to aCquaint yourself with the basics!

20. Daisy

Daisy New Member

That refers to servicemen - US citizens or residents serving in the military; ironically it is they who have the right to habeas corpus suspended.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.