Giulani at Odds With Americans

Discussion in 'Politics' started by carpro, Sep 13, 2007.

1. carpro

carpro
    Expand Collapse

2. carpro

carpro
    Expand Collapse

Is there a serious candidate at all that is willing to face this issue?

The public sent a strong message during the legislative discussion on immigration.

Giulani ignores that message at his own peril.

3. LeBuick

LeBuick
    Expand Collapse

The problem is being in the country illegally IS a crime according to our current laws. Sounds like he would be weak on border security and would legalize those who are currently considered illegal.

EDIT... So that my comments are not taken wrong i just feel those who are presently illegal should be made to come through the front door before we consider the legal. This way they are counted and we know their here.

#3 LeBuick, Sep 13, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2007
  4. church mouse guy

church mouse guy
    Expand Collapse

Rudy is probably just seeking a headline.

Rudy is probably just seeking a headline. We are not going to deport all of the illegals in this country. It would be a humanitarian crisis. Rudy will fall behind to Fred Thompson in my opinion, so it doesn't matter too much what he thinks on this issue. However, I agree that for practical purposes only those illegals who commit crimes will be deported, and sometimes even they are not deported. Personally, I would just be glad to have the border closed and all future immigrants forced to be legal, and I speak as a former El Pasoan.

At the risk of boring you, dear reader, let me repeat my previous post on the problems in Mexico:

On July 17, 2006, National Review magazine Deputy Managing Editor Jason Lee Steorts wrote an article entitled Mexico, Heal Thyself. This was condensed and printed in the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review newspaper, but a Reagan staffer was quoted as saying this about Mexico:

Norman Bailey, a former special assistant to Ronald Reagan for international economic affairs, explains that "Mexico has a safety valve which most other countries don't have. Most countries either collapse or they do the necessary thing.

"Mexico has never been in the position of being forced to do the necessary thing."

Carlos Slim, a friend of former Mexican President Salinas, was sold the Mexican telephone company, Telmex, and is now considered the richest man in the world, worth at least $59 billion, I think.

http://money.cnn.com/2007/08/03/news...ney_topstories

The solution to Mexico's woes is cited by Editor Steorts as ending state monopolies, desocializing agriculture, simplifing tax and labor laws and improving the school system.

An advisor of President Fox says that the problem is political, according to the article:

Arias-King thinks the problem lies in Mexico's political culture, which has traditionally been dominated by the oligarchic elite. "We don't have economic problems; our problems are really political in nature," he says.
    http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_461035.html

5. carpro

carpro
    Expand Collapse

I believe you got it.

6. hillclimber1

hillclimber1
    Expand Collapse

I'm pretty sure no one is going to apply any "fix" to the illegals already in country. It seems now to be ONLY a political issue which will, depending on how it's spun, do great harm to the party that loses the debate.

The Dem's believe it is their voting block to claim, given they can fix the little constitutional issue of "illegals voting".

If they can fix that, then the GOP's can make Arnold an eligible candidate.

7. LeBuick

LeBuick
    Expand Collapse

What's funny is I thought Arnold would never make governor but after what I see today you are probably right...

8. church mouse guy

church mouse guy
    Expand Collapse

Both parties are claiming the illegal voters

Who can prove it but I believe that illegals are already voting in numbers here in Indianapolis. Both parties are claiming the illegal voters.

Business is the real factor in the large number of illegals here in town. The USA has put too many people on disability who are capable of working. Instead of cleaning up the disability rolls, we merely allow illegals to work. Here in Indy, we have a large hotel and restaurant business downtown to take care of all the sporting events and small conventions that we stage. The illegals do the cleaning and cooking to some extent. They also work for the landscaping companies.

So it seems that Mexico dodges reform by deporting people and the USA dodges reform by giving refuge to the illegals. In other Latin American countries, it is impossible to get a visa to visit the USA unless you have a parent or a child already living here. The only explanation for the difficulty in getting a visa seems to be that the USA is afraid that you will stay permanently in spite of your expired visa.

Mexico is blessed with many natural resources and Mexican Carlos Slim has become the richest man in the world with a net worth of $59 billion.

Let's close the border to all but legal immigrants and deport all illegal convicted felons.

And let's try to keep our able-bodied off the welfare rolls.

9. church mouse guy

church mouse guy
    Expand Collapse

Wet-foot/dry-foot

Wet-foot/dry-foot

Of course, Cubans are special cases, but with them our policy is wet-foot/dry-foot. That means that if they have waded ashore or reached our territorial waters, they stay and are safe. If we intercept them at sea, we turn them back.

I think that a similar policy has to occur with the illegals already here, as I have written many times. For humanitarian reasons, they cannot be deported unless they become convicted criminals in my opinion.

The number of Cubas trying to get here is up this year. Cuba is a nightmare of no food, no medicine, and no transportation. Here is a link to an editorial by the Cuban American National Foundation (CANF) on the Cubans trying to get here in 2007:

The number of Cuban migrants interdicted in the Florida Straits by the U.S. Coast Guard so far this year has exceeded the total number of interceptions for all of 2006 -- with still more than three months to go before year's end....

If the trend continues, by year's end interdictions may exceed even those in 2005 -- 2,952, the largest number in one year since the 1994 rafter exodus when 37,191 were picked up.

http://canf1.org/artman/publish/home_page/Migrants_intercepted_at_sea_surpasses_06.shtml

Wet feet...