1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Give Jesus a 60-day trial..

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Jarthur001, Dec 10, 2008.

1. stilllearning

stilllearning Active Member

I am no fan of Rick Warren. But I saw that interview, and here is the context of what he said...........
    --------------------------------------------------
    --------------------------------------------------
    Like I said, I have never been a fan of Mr.Warren, but in this interview, he did not reject the Gospel.

2. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

I gave the whole link for all to read. I also posted what I wanted others to look at. That is hardly hidding the context from any one.

Hey..if you like him, you can set under his ministry.

I could never.

As to me "tearing down a brother"....

This is my full words..

I ask how. You told me. That is hardly tearing down.

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

...which is not true. I've come to expect that from you, though. Kind of like calling him a "great theologian....and then stating you could never sit under his ministry. Not trying to tear anyone down, huh?

#23 webdog, Dec 12, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2008
  4. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

many do call him a great theologain. I don't. Do you see him that way?

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I don't think any man deserves that title. Excellent evangelist, solid theologian.

6. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

My opinion of RW is based on what I've seen and heard from him in interviews, both radio and tv, and his book PDL. I find him to be weak in his presentation of the gospel, given he has such a huuuuuge platform from which to proclaim it. He is popular on many secular programs because of this. Ever wondered why Oprah is so captivated by him? If he were to proclaim that without Christ as your Savior, you're headed for hell, he would not be so welcome on Larry King, Fox News, CNN, ect.....
    He appeals to the unbelieving population that wants to hear that they're going to heaven whether they put their faith in Christ or not. I'm not saying that he believes this. I'm saying that's the way he is "perceived". I say that because if I was an unbeliever, I would not have a very clear understanding of how to go to heaven based on RW's gospel presentation.

A person needs to know why they need a Savior. I haven't heard a lot about that from RW.

I do have a problem with this quote from his website.

We are not marred by an attitude. We are marred by sin. We do not have a "tremendous potential for good" as sinners under the wrath of God. We can only do good for God once we are indwelt by His Spirit.

It is not our "attitude" which separates us from God. It is SIN.

This is my opinion and I do not expect you to agree with it. I do not hate RW and certainly wish no harm to him. This is just how I see him.

7. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

WARREN: Give him a trial. See if he'll change your life. I dare you to try trusting Jesus for 60 days. Or your money guaranteed back.

Whatever that is it is not the Gospel. To put it more bluntly it is nonsense. Jesus Christ said in John 3:3. Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

A person does not get born again and then unborn.

The Apostle Paul states:

Romans 1:16.
    16. For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.

And in 2 Corinthians 5:17 Paul further defines the rebirth or regeneration.
    Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

8. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wd,do you really think that Warren is an "excellent evangelist,solid theologian"?If you actually rank him so highly -- who would be considered a poor theologian for instance?

9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

What does that have to do with this thread? I said "solid" theologian. I've heard him preach before.

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

You seriously misunderstand his entire point. The point is if you were to take his "challenge", there would be no "return period". People, he was using a metaphor! He was not being literal like you all would want it to be so you can continue the barrage on his character!

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Thanks for the feedback, but I really wish you would look into his ministry further besides tv interviews. I have never heard him say there is any other way besides Christ on any tv interview, so I'm a little perplexed where you got that from.

Curious...an "attitude of disobedience" is not the same thing as sin? This is what I referred to earlier, us "veteran" believers who speak "chritianese" have problems with some of the phrases and terms he uses. He is relating to those people who don't speak our language, kind of like Paul did :)

12. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

I don't know anything about Warren's character so I can't speak to that. However, his theology does not appear to be Biblical.

13. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

His interviews are what unbelievers see, is it not? This is where he will reach the unchurched. He needs to preach the gospel, not part of it. The unchurched aren't going to look into his ministry to see if he's a solid preacher. All they're going to see is TV interviews.
    I didn't say he preached another way besides Christ. I said an unbeliever could easily perceive it that way.

If you can show me from the Bible where we are condemned based on an "attitude", I'll listen. But I've never read anything like that. I've not heard any other preacher use that term either. It definitely softens sin.

Anyhoo, that's just MHO. I could be wrong, but well, there it is. :)

You didn't answer my question about Oprah. Why do you think she likes RW's books so much? You know she believes there are many roads to heaven. I'll tell you why. RW's gospel is not offensive. Jesus' gospel is offensive.

14. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I've never heard that Oprah like RW. Where did you see that?

15. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

She praised PDL on her show when the book was so popular and told how it had really helped her life.

16. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Since she thinks she is a religion in herself, maybe she just assumed the book was about her.

17. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

I get the same impression as Amy does. To explain, I kind of get the same feeling watching him on TV as I get when I see people trying hard to be their children and their children's friends buddies instead of being parents to them. Just kind of that vibe where how they are perceived is definitely on their minds and affects how they might act or what they might say.

I am sure RW's church is of sound doctrine, but when he is on TV with an audience of millions, I am always waiting for him to really take a swing at some of the questions posed and try and hit one out of the park. But it feels like he is always trying to draw the walk instead.

I think many non-Christians can listen to him on his TV interviews and miss the gospel message entirely.

#37 Steven2006, Dec 13, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2008
  18. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

COLMES: True, and I think that's a wonderful message. But if you don't accept Jesus, if you're not something who goes that route religiously...
    WARREN: Yes.
    COLMES: ... can you find your way to heaven? Can you still be — go to the same place when it's all said and done?
    WARREN: I'm not the authority on that, but I believe Jesus is. And everybody's betting their life on something. Jesus said, "I am the way." I'm betting that he's not a liar. I'm betting that he told the truth.

Was this drawing a walk?

19. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

I think yes, going for the home run he would say Jesus is the only way. Many people feel that there are many ways to heaven, Jesus only being one of those ways. Those people would still believe that after RW's interview without any pause.

20. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

One more thing he prefaces his statements with "I am not an authority on that", I have seen Joel Olsteen do that same type of thing, that even weakens what he is about to say that much more. He is basically telling people he doesn't have authority to proclaim Jesus as the only way to heaven. Every Christian is an authority on that point, or at least they should be.