1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

giving, tithing and mindsets

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Aki, Dec 20, 2005.

1. Aki

Aki Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would just like to share my view on giving.

The DONT's

1. do not give for God to give in return. that is plainly a wrong mindset.

2. do not give your tithes, nor judge anyone to be robbing God when he does not give tithes. Tithing is a part of the law for Israel as a nation, as taxes are part of each county's constitution. it is for Israel as a nation, and not for believers as church members. if ever you would want to use Malachi 3:10, use it to tax-cheaters!

The DO's

1. give willingly and happily.

2. give because you trust God that He will not forsake you. this is giving through faith.

3. give because you know that what you give came from God. this is sharing God's grace.

have a nice day, everyone! [​IMG]

2. Pete Richert

Pete Richert New Member

3. eloidalmanutha

eloidalmanutha New Member

Here's an excellent article with lots of Biblical perspective on what the tithe really was:

Tithing: Is It Scriptural for New Covenant Believers? Under the Law or Led by the Spirit

http://www.seekgod.ca/tithing.htm

4. AresMan

AresMan Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I really don't understand why it is so hard for some people to understand this simple truth.

5. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because they believe their pastors and teachers and would rather be spoon-fed than read for themselves.

I'm not making a sweeping statement, mind.

But, generally, that's how it is. Remember that one in a post on another forum about how if John Mc'Arthur didn't say this or that, then maybe it ain't worth reading or thinking about, or words to that effect ?

6. Aki

Aki Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    and you assume that the same thing must not be said of you, right?

are you speaking about both those who agree and contradict with you? or just those whose beliefs are different from yours?

7. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Aki said:

Look around, Aki. It's not necessarily because 'they don't believe like I do'. You're in the Philippines, you know what I'm talking about.

8. Brother James

Brother James New Member

Here is a pretty good piece on the subject:
    http://lazarusunbound.com/bunker_givingtithing.shtml
    Giving, Tithing & Stupid Religion

By Michael Bunker
    [email protected]
    Want to discuss it? Try the Forum

February 24, 2002 — I write this article for three purposes:

1. To defend our position on giving, tithing, marketing and the state of “religion” today. Many people tell me “Michael, don’t defend yourself, the Gospel needs no defense”. I respectfully disagree. Paul defended himself emphatically in the letters to the Corinthians, and I believe we should be ready to defend our position so that our detractors will stand rebuked, and the Body of Christ will be edified.

2. To clarify to those people who have been lied to by the Religious cult all of their lives exactly how free they are, and exactly what their obligations are to the Body and to the Gospel.

3. To serve notice to the enemies of the Gospel that we will never again be brought into your manipulative service, nor will we take our liberty as an opportunity to abuse the Grace freely offered unto us by our Master, Jesus Christ. We will stand against you and ALL servants of the enemy so that our lives will be a living epistle to all those who will fairly judge the fruit of our service.

9. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Defending "tithing"? Let's work through all the NT passages that teach it.

Short lesson!! [​IMG]

10. AresMan

AresMan Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen, Dr. Bob! That's Bible right there, [​IMG]

11. AresMan

AresMan Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    BTW, MacArthur doesn't believe the church tithing myth either. I don't agree with everything MacArthur teaches, but I certainly do agree with his position here. I truly admire Bible ministers who have the courage to study the Scriptures and actually stand for the truth instead of just preaching a myth to squander people into doing something they are not Scripturally required to do to get more money.

12. mountainrun

mountainrun New Member

Excellent post, Aki. It seems that everyone so far agrees with you.

Good lesson, Dr. Bob.
    BTW. Those who note that Jesus mentioned tithing in the NT fail to note that He was still teaching under the old covenant at the time he spoke.

MR

13. Pete

Pete New Member

" " " "

[​IMG] [​IMG] :D