1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Glenn Beck, Social Justice and the church

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Salty, Mar 21, 2010.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

We do have the Word of God and that is the authority.

2. RAdam

RAdam New Member

So you believe Mormons are going to hell?

3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist

I believe most are

So what are your thoughts about Mormoms going to heaven?

4. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

This is a good example of why I was so adamantly against Romney for President. I was shocked that so many Christians were supporting him at the time. Nothing would mainstream Mormonism faster than having a Mormon as president. And if we now see even Christians viewing practicing Mormons as maybe saved and as "Christian", imagine how the unsaved view Mormonism?

The Mormon church has been trying to reinvent themselves as "Christian" for quite some time, and it appears they are succeeding. Just another denomination, just another option like many others.

5. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And you might have a point except for one very important thing, and that is that 80% of Americans identify themselves as Christians, yet only about 5% have a Biblical defintion of what a Christian is.

The lost generally don't know the difference anyway, nor do they care. But at the same time, we have Catholics claiming to be Christians, Emergents claiming to be Christians, Oneness Pentecostals claiming to be Christians, WoFers claiming to be Christians, Jehovah's Witnesses claiming to be Christians...

Just as it's been from the beginning, there are all sorts of false religions claiming to be Christian, with all sorts of people who wouldn't know the Gospel if they tripped over it claiming to be Christians.

Who cares if Mormons claim they're Christians? We're still going to be preaching the same Gospel. The lost are won by the preaching of the Gospel, not by how "Christian" they think one group is as compared to another.

There are many, many reasons not to vote for Mitt Romney. His religion is not one of them.

Sigh...here we go again. Again, just because someone is wrong in their theology doesn't make everything they do wrong.

I once had a barber who was a Mormon and he was fantastic. I never got a bad haircut from him. Why should his religious views be a deciding factor in whether or not I want a haircut from him?

Only if you share Martin's lack of reading comprehension skills.

I'm sorry, but I don't believe that everything somebody does should be judged by their religious beliefs. Just as I don't expect Mormons to say "He makes beautiful furniture but, you know, he's one of those Baptists", I won't look at someone and say, "Well, sure, he gives a good haircut, but he's a Mormon" or "Yeah, he was right about Van Jones and Valerie Jarrett, but he's a Mormon" any more than I'd say "So and so is a really good chef, but he's black".

The two have nothing to do with one another.

Not to me.

I don't know who taught you and Martin how to read, but they ought to be ashamed of themselves. I never said anything about shunning anyone.

About as much as their religion does.

Yep. That's the beauty of not living in a theocracy.

#45 JohnDeereFan, Mar 24, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2010
  6. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

So because of that we might as well endorse and support Mormons?

I don't really understand the argument. Are you saying what it sounds like, that since so many are not really Christian anyways why not just support and endorse anyone no matter what their faith stands for?

Does it not matter at this point?

7. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    So based on what you are saying you supported Gov Huckabee for President.

8. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

I actually did want Huckabee, but that has nothing to do with choosing to not support a practicing member of a cult.

9. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

I never said we should shun people. Dealing with someone on a personal level is far different than supporting a public figure of influence.

And what in the world does someones race have to do with any of this?

By your logic if an admittedly practicing devil worshipper ran for president, and you happen to agree with all his political positions you would eagerly support him.

#49 Steven2006, Mar 24, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2010
  10. sag38

sag38 Active Member

I personally believe that Mormans will bust hell wide open. They are a cult perverting the gospel of Jesus Christ. The last time I talked with two of thier missionaries they boldly lied to my face about their beliefs. But, I would not equate them on the same level as outright Satan worshipers. Most Mormans are good citizens and apart from their being deceived by their false Christianity I'd rather have them as a neighbor than some redneck, so called Christians, I've lived around and worked with. In Romney's case I could vote for him as compared to the "loser" we have in office now or even the "W." I certainly would have chosen him over McCain any day of the week.

11. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    In theory, yes, but a devil worshiper certainly does not have JudeoChristian values of which our Constitution and country were founded upon.

Salty

12. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==A very Christ-like attitude you have there.

==The Gospel has to do with every area of life. I will not support or endorse a heretic for any reason. Anyone who stands against the Lord Jesus Christ also stands against me. Why? Because I am "in Christ".

==There are many things I could say in response to such a silly, ad hominem, remark. However I think your attitude and constant personal attacks says all that needs to be said.

==A person's race is not important. A person's theology is very important.

==That is an amazing statement and I want everyone to take note of it's context. JohnDeereFan was responding to the following comment:

"By your logic if an admittedly practicing devil worshipper ran for president, and you happen to agree with all his political positions you would eagerly support him."

The implications there are frightening. His response to the above statement is to applaud the fact that he does not live in a theocracy. What does that mean?

Friends, this is why I always warn against political activism on the part of Christians. It may cause someone to get their priorities out of order and in very dangerous ways.

I believe Christians should vote, and I believe Christians should make our voices heard, but I do not believe Christians should compromise the Gospel or the Truth in the name of politics. Providing political support for someone who is a heretic is compromise. Sadly many professing Christians have compromised the Gospel in the name of politics. It is sad, it is shameful, and it shows how far evangelicalism has fallen. As I said earlier in this thread, the down-grade continues.

13. RAdam

RAdam New Member

It's a sad day when Christians sit around condemning people to hell.

I'm not condoning Mormonism or saying the gospel shouldn't be preached to them, but I'm also not going to play God and start saying so and so is hell bound. I'll leave that task to God, the supreme Judge.

14. RAdam

RAdam New Member

There are a lot of people perverting the gospel of Christ. That doesn't necessarily mean they are going to hell when they die. It is a serious offense, but again my job isn't pronouncing sentences but preaching the gospel.

15. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Prove it. I know people who are quite wealthy and they have worked very hard for years and did not steal a thing from anybody. :sleeping_2:

16. THEOLDMAN

THEOLDMAN New Member

Sag, would you really vote for someone you believe "will bust hell wide open" just because he is "pro-life" ?

17. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

So, you know a rich person or two and now that is the standard. I stand by my statement. If you don't like it, too bad!

18. THEOLDMAN

THEOLDMAN New Member

Where there is a fortune....there is a crime. -Unknown.

Any Multi-millionaires on this board ?

Defend yourselves.

I didn't think so.:smilewinkgrin:

19. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you stand by your statement, then prove it.

Proverb 6
    6 Go to the ant, you sluggard;
    consider its ways and be wise! 7 It has no commander,
    no overseer or ruler,
    8 yet it stores its provisions in summer
    and gathers its food at harvest.
    9 How long will you lie there, you sluggard?
    When will you get up from your sleep?
    10 A little sleep, a little slumber,
    a little folding of the hands to rest-
    11 and poverty will come on you like a bandit
    and scarcity like an armed man.(NIV)

20. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Back in the early 1990's when I was heavy into weight lifting, some would always complain about those that could lift more or were in better shape. They always accused the other of cheating somehow - they could just never admit that the other person worked harder than they did. Somehow, cheating was always the reason that the other person could bench press more.