1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Gluttony, America's Favorite Sin

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Crabtownboy, Jul 16, 2008.

1. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    http://www.biblicalrecorder.org/post/2008/07/15/Fat-America-tips-scales-toward-health-care-crisis.aspx

#1 Crabtownboy, Jul 16, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2008
  2. donnA

donnA Active Member

One does not have to be obese, or even over weight for diabettes, high cholesterol or even heart disease. Other wise you'd never see a skinny person with these diseases.

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I agree that gluttony in todays churches is the main "non-sin sin" (well, that and "prayer request gossip"). We have no problem condemining alcohol use that doesn't lead to drunkeness (drunkeness in nothing more than gluttony, btw) while rubbing our stomachs at a "fellowship dinner" stating "man, I shouldn't have had that last piece of pie...I'm stuffed!"

4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

very true. Genetics play a bigger role than we give credit to. Type 2 diabetes, however, is often times (if not mostly) associated with obesity.

5. jilphn1022

jilphn1022 New Member

Ouch!

I should have read this post(or it is thread?)first because I just devoured a couple of cookies. If I had read this thread( or should I have typed post?) first I would have felt the desire to eat those delicious fresh strawberries in the refrigerator which are so tempting and healthier than any old cookie.
    All of you posters have made some very good points. Thanks!

6. donnA

donnA Active Member

All those fit and trim type 2's I know would disagree with you.

7. donnA

donnA Active Member

we usually think of gluttony as being only food, but it is much more. Some people who do not eat a lot of food, are still gluttons in otherarea, and threads like this tend to over look the other side of gluttony, giving approval to it.

8. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The original article in the post was about health hazards and the impending disasterous health problems that many Americans are facing or will be facing simply because they eat too much ... and too much of the wrong foods.

When I was in China I heard comments and jokes about fat Americans. The same is true in Europe, lots of comments and jokes about fat Americans.

From Dictionary.com

Type II daibetes,
    Type II daibetes used to be called Adult Onset Diabetes. But with our lousy eating habits the age of the onset of this terrible disease has declined markedly. Thus the name has been changed to Type II Diabetes.

Type I Diabetes was called Child Onset Diabetes.

This is a health epidemic that is pactically totally avoidable.

9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

The "fit and trim type 2's" are the minority and not the norm.

10. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Hey, you can hear Americans talk about fat Americans......:) You don't have to go to Europe. What about fat Germans, Fat Polish, etc

11. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I haven't spent much time in Germany or Poland, but when I was there I didn't see many fat people. In the Czech Republic I seldom see really fat people. Of course Europeans walk a lot more than we Americans. Far fewer have cars and to get to public transportation a person has to walk to the nearest stop. However, their public transprtation sustem is so good that it almost never is more than a 3 to 5 minute walk to a stop. If I lived in Europe I would not buy a car. I would rent one on occasion, but that would be a rare event. Also Europeans seem to be much more into hiking than Americans.

12. donnA

donnA Active Member

Not really, I know a lot of diabetics, and most are skinny , some extremely so. Only 1 or 2 are over weight at all.

13. donnA

donnA Active Member

Type 2 diabetes may be caused by weight in some people, not all people. Other wise skinny people wouldn't get it at all. It is also hereditary.

14. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

Those who were overweight had a 60 percent increased risk of diabetes, an 80 percent increased risk of high blood pressure, and a 50 percent higher likelihood of elevated cholesterol levels. For those with moderate obesity, the risk of diabetes or high blood pressure was increased more than three fold, and the likelihood of a high blood cholesterol level or arthritis doubled. For those with severe obesity, everything was much worse with six to seven fold risk of diabetes or high blood pressure, and a four fold increased risk of arthritis.

http://healthfullife.umdnj.edu/archives/obd_archive.htm

15. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some skinny people may come down with Type II diabetes, but they are rare. The overwhelming evidence is that the vast majority of young Americans who have this chronic disease brought it on themselves through their lifestyles and eating habits. Also, even if a person is disposed to havint Type II Diabetes a good lifestyle and good eating habits will delay its onset, usually by quite a few years.

16. donnA

donnA Active Member

They are not rare, lol, I'm sure they'd laugh at that, because I know more skinny diabetis then over weight ones, and I know a lot of diabetics.

17. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

Yes, there are far too many obese people in European countries as well - for men, figures seem to vary between 6.5% of the population in Italy, to 19% in Finland. For women, it is between 6.3% in Italy and 27.9% in Russia. In the USA, it is 27.5% of men, and 33.4% of women. I don't know how accurate those figures are. They come from http://www.bariatric-surgery.info/obesity-levels-worldwide.htm and http://www.bariatric-surgery.info/obesity-levels-usa.htm

As for the question of the link between weight and Type 2 diabetes, the World Health Organisation at http://www.who.int/dietphysicalactivity/publications/facts/obesity/en/ says (emphasis mine):
    The likelihood of developing Type 2 diabetes and hypertension rises steeply with increasing body fatness. Confined to older adults for most of the 20th century, this disease now affects obese children even before puberty. Approximately 85% of people with diabetes are type 2, and of these, 90% are obese or overweight.

18. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

My husband is as skinny as a beanpole and he has Type II diabetes. He has a family history of Adult Onset Diabetes.

I am just a tad overweight, but not obese, and I am pre-diabetic. I also have a family history of Adult Onset Diabetes.

I am controlling it with diet (so far) so I don't go into full Diabetes. I have changed my eating habits...mainly eliminating all sugar from my diet.

My mother, two brothers, and a sister developed Type II diabetes later in life and only one of them could be considered obese.

Heredity plays a HUGE part in this type of Diabetes.

19. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

I don't pretend to be medically qualified. However, when I find that such bodies as the World Health Organisation, the British Medical Association, The American Diabetes Association ("Most people who get type 2 diabetes are overweight, and losing weight is often the first step in controlling type 2 diabetes. ") and the British Diabetic Association all say that being overweight/obese greatly increases the likelihood of getting Type 2 Diabetes, I think I ought to take notice. They are not saying it is the only cause, of course. But if close reatives have diabetes AND you are obese, there is a greater likelihood that you too will get Type 2 diabetes than if only the heriditary factor was present.

20. jilphn1022

jilphn1022 New Member

I want to say that I am sorry for being to light...

about a very serious subject. My 81 year old mother is diabetic and reading the posters here, I could be a candidate too. I am sorry that I spoke lightly of a subject that God calls a sin namely gluttony. May we pray for each one here who
    has diabetes.