1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

gluttony and drunkards

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by saturneptune, Feb 27, 2006.

1. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

In Proverbs 23:21, gluttony and drunkedness in the same verse are condemned in the same verse, and gluttony is talked about other places in the Bible. Why is it that we have heard sermon after sermon on alcohol and not one time have I heard a sermon on gluttony? In fact, the sin seems to be made light of and joked about at church pot lucks.
    Sin is sin, and just wondering if anyone thinks we are putting the sin of alcohol on a pedestal?

2. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

gluttony is the acceptable sin in many places.

3. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I dont believe sin has geographical boundaries.

4. PastorSBC1303

Who said it did?

5. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

You

6. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Our pastor has been preaching through Luke, just finishing up chapter 21. He managed to get two or three sermons in on surfeiting.

Luk 21:34 And take heed to yourselves, lest at any time your hearts be overcharged with surfeiting, and drunkenness, and cares of this life, and so that day come upon you unawares.

7. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

the thing is, how does one define gluttony/ Two helpings? Three? Just because a person in slender doesnt mean he is not a glutton, and neither does it mean a fat person is. Its a very gray area. I believe each individual must learn self control (which I believe is the point of the passage, not the sin itself).

8. PastorSBC1303

Saturn, you misundertood my point completely. It is not about geography. It is a statement that many people consider gluttony an acceptable sin.

9. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

why the chip, saturn? Gluttony is considered a "respectable" sin. Thats part of why you see so many fat Christians.

10. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

Ya know, back in the day, it was considered attractive for people to be chunky. And in NT testament times, Romans would often eat and eat and vomit and eat and eat. I am sure social customs come into play somewhere

11. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

SBC,
    sorry, i misunderstood

Tatertot,
    I agree with you to the point as to what is gluttony. I would assume everyone knowing how their own body feels and having common sense would know when that point is reached. The way this came up was in a Wednesday night Bible study. One of our members asked the question. I had never given it a second thought until then. To me, there are no "respectable" sins. It is obvious though, that gluttony hurts the individual, drunks hurt family, coworkers, etc. We are still charged with presenting our bodies as a living sacrifice.

12. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

exactly, and I think thats the whole point. But how a pastor can preach on "gluttony" was the issue, and I am not sure that preaching topically would get that across. When self control comes up in ap[assage, gluttony should certainly be a good illustration. I think we neglect it too.

13. PastorSBC1303

Whether right or wrong I think alcohol has been addressed more because it apppears to be more dangerous to people with drunk driving, etc.

However, people forget that gluttony is very damaging to the body as well. It may not cause you to lose your senses and kill someone in a car, but it has its own damaging side effects as well.

14. mnw

mnw New Member

Preach against gluttony in the same way you would against alcohol? But don't you know how many preachers that could offend!!

Gluttony is disrespectful to the body which God has given is, it is bad stewardship. It is lack of self control and I believe a hinderance to an effective ministry.

As has already been said, it is somehow seen as an acceptable sin (as if any sin is acceptable).

I think the obesity capital of Europe is Scotland... that was for free

15. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

And really, both are just symptoms of a deeper problem.

16. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The sin in gluttony is the same as it is in drunkenness. The sin is excess.

Excess in any thing at all (except spirituality) is sin.

17. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

mnw - thanks for that tidbit, lol

But really, we assume people are gluttons b/c they are overweight, and probably most are. I know I tend that way when I am not careful. I think SBC is right, drunkenness seems to have a more negative effect because of the altered senses. But Aaron is right, too, its all about self control. We do neglect to discipline ourselves in our eating habits.

18. PastorSBC1303

Mark it down, Aaron and SBC agree [​IMG] [​IMG]

19. rbell

rbell Active Member

Mark it down, Aaron and SBC agree [​IMG] [​IMG] </font>[/QUOTE]and in a gluttony forum? Fat chance!

[​IMG]

20. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

Wow...Aaron & SBC are on the same page?!?
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]