1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Gluttony. Why is it tolerated?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by preacher4truth, Jun 15, 2011.

?
  1. It is not wrong to over-eat

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. This is a serious problem that should be addressed

7 vote(s)
    63.6%
  3. Gluttony is a thing of the past, it doesn't matter any longer, we're under grace

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Drinking a beer (alcoholic bev.) is wrong, but not over-eating

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Both drinking a beer (alcoholic bev.) and over-eating are wrong

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  6. It should be considered an addiction like any other

6 vote(s)
    54.5%
  7. Persons that are gluttonous are not controlling their lives by God's Spirit thoroughly

6 vote(s)
    54.5%
  8. Being a glutton is lack of self-control and dishonorable to God

8 vote(s)
    72.7%
  9. We should hear more about this in churches and preachers shouldn't fear stepping on ones toes

7 vote(s)
    63.6%
  10. Drinking a beer (alcoholic bev.) now and then is OK, over-eating as a lifestyle is wrong

8 vote(s)
    72.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Aww...a proof-text. :love2:

We headin' out to China Buffet now!

Uh, why is nothing plural at a chinese restaurant? "I'll have 2 egg rolls" "OK, sir that 2 egg roll?"...uh?

2. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Surely not in St. Louis? It's those Lutherans & Catlicks from Milwaukee & Michigan:smilewinkgrin:

Cheers!

#42 Earth Wind and Fire, Jun 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2011
  3. ituttut

ituttut New Member

It's good advice. Don't eat too much, don't drink too much, and don't smoke too much. Tex Williams gives good advice in his song about smoking. All we gotta do is replace smoke, with eat, or drink. Have a good time but the Party will be over too soon, if you just keep it up.

Smoke, smoke, smoke that cigarette
    Puff, puff, puff and if you smoke yourself to death
    Tell St. Peter at the Golden Gate
    That you hate to make him wait
    But you just gotta have another cigarette

4. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

5. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Born Fat? Born Gay? Born Addicted?

People are born that way. It's in their genes, and it results in the need for larger jeans! God must have made me fat, because that is how I've always been, and I can't change how God made me. To say I'm addicted is wrong. It is a life choice, and I'm proud of every inch I own. After all, my doctor told me years ago, to keep an eye on my weight, and I'm just following his directive, and putting my gut out where I can keep a good eye on it at all times. :laugh:

Sorry....but this sounded to me like the same excuse I hear from the gay community; alcoholics; drug addicts, etc.

God surely didn't make us the way we are, and I find this post as interesting as it is great. The only problem is it probably will get buried in the quick to depart file, unless others get involved and contribute, and take corrective action to pass the word on to the sheep, "Thou shalt not stuff your gut to uncomfortable levels with fresh grazing grass!"

I have a battle with the ever increasing bulge, and I have a great excuse. I'm diabetic, and the more insulin it takes to control my blood sugars, the more weight I seem to hold unto.

Believe me, it is a constant war, and for the most part: I'm winning the battles. However, there are a few skirmishes, here and there that I lose, but I'm not going to give into the fat cells waiting to be deployed throughout my body.

We chubby folk need prayer and love too. We also need self control (not pity), and the will to exercise on a regular basis. If not, we'll die from fat related diseases.

It seems that everywhere I go today, the chairs are getting larger to meet the needs of those who use them. This is a real shame, and it needs to be adressed from the pulpits as much as any other sin. So what if a few people squirm in the pews, you may just save someones life with the words, "over eating is still a sin. Repent and go forth, just don't head on out to Krispy-Kreme or Home Town Buffet after church!"