1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

GNB Compared With The TNIV

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Rippon, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Good News Bible has had a lot of names over the years.The GNT and TEV are only among some of the more well-known.So over the weekend I bought a copy of the GNT (British Edition).I have been so sick-and-tired of seeing the TNIV lumped-in with the TEV/GNB.That's really sloppy thinking and shows an utter disregard of fair evaluation.Eugene Nida's dynamic-equivalency theory was exemplified with the original :"The New Testament In Today's English"(1966).Dr.Nida has had nothing to do with the NIV.The NIV is not in the same category as the GNB.If anyone wants to make that claim -- that the domain of the dynamic-equivalency versions spans so broadly -- then the same must be said for the field of the formally-equivalent translations as well.You might as well lump the NASBU in with the REB and NJB.Absurd?Yes.That would be.That's just as silly as throwing together (as if from the same model) the NIV/TNIV in with the GNB,CEV,NCV etc.

But let's start comparing -- shall we?That's my speciality anyway.It doesn't hurt to be definitive.We need to see side-by-side comparisons -- if not utter contrasts.

I'll start with some sample verses from the book of Philippians.The GNB (G)will be above and the TNIV (T)will be below.

1:21
    G : For what is life?To me,it is Christ,whether i live or die.

T : For me,to live is Christ and to die is gain.

1:27
    G : Now,the imporant thing is that your way of life should be as the gospel of Christ requires,so that,whether or not I am able to go and see you,I will hear that you are standing firm with one common purpose and that with only one desire you are fighting together for the faith of the gospel.

T : Whatever happens,as citizens of heaven live in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ.Then,whether I come and see you or only hear about you in my absence,I will know that you stand firm in the one Spirit,striving together with one accord for the faith of the gospel.

3:4

G : I could,of course,put my trust in such things.If anyone thinks they can trust in external ceremonies,I have even more reason to feel that way.

T : though I myself have reason for such confidence.If others think they have reasons to put confidence in the flesh,I have more:

3:19

G : They are going to end up in hell,because their god is their bodily desires.They are proud of what they should be ashamed of,and think only of things that belong to this world.

T : Their destiny is destruction,their god is their stomach,and their glory is in their shame.Their mind is set on earthy things.

4:11

G : And I am not saying this because I am feeling neglected,for I have learnt to be satisfied with what I have.

T : I am not saying this because I am in need,for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances.

#1 Rippon, Feb 23, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2009
  2. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Continuing Examples From Hebrews

G = Good News Bible
    T = TNIV

9:15

G : For this reason Christ is the one who arranges a new covenant,so that those who have been called by God may receive the eternal blessings that God has promised.This can be done because there has been a death which sets people free from the wrongs they did while the first covenant was in force.

T : For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant,that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance -- now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant.

10:32

G : Remember how it was with you in the past.In those days,after God's light had shone on you,you suffered many things,yet were not defeated by the struggle.

T : Remember those earlier days after you had received the light,when you endured in a great conflict full of suffering.

11:7

G : It was faith that made Noah hear God's warnings about things in the future that he could not see.He obeyed God and built a boat in which he and his family were saved.As a result,the world was condemned,and Noah received from god the righteousness that comes by faith.

T : By faith Noah,when warned about things not yet seen,in holy fear built an ark to save his family. By his faith he condemned the world and became heir of the righteousness that is in keeping with faith.

12:2

G : Let us keep our eyes fixed on Jesus, on whom our faith depends from beginning to end.He did not give up because of the cross! On the contrary,because of the joy that was waiting for him,he thought nothing of the disgrace of dying on the cross,and he is now seated at the right-hand side of God's throne.

T : fixing our eyes on Jesus,the pioneer and perfecter of faith.For the joy set before him he endured the cross,scorning its shame,and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.

13:4

G : Marriage is to be honoured by all,and husbands and wives must be faithful to each other.God will judge those who are immoral and those who commit adultery.

T : Marriage should be honored by all,and the marriage bed kept pure,for God will judge the adulterer and all the sexually immoral.

3. Baptist4life

Baptist4life Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you just like to hear yourself talk? :laugh:

4. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Goes to show how misinformed people allow themselves to be about the TNIV. Dobson didn't have a clue what he was talking about, yet because Jim said so the TNIV was hammered. Blind leading the blind. Still old, wrong information gets passed around like it is the Gospel truth - come on people grab a clue. The TNIV is by far the best translation out there, step away from the Dobson kool-aid and think for yourself.

5. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

As a teen, our church gave us all copies of Good News for Modern Man, the NT from what became the Good News Bible. The OT was not yet done. But I found it made the Bible very relevant. I also enjoyed the line illustrations that were included. I don't know if they are still used or not.

6. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hebrews 11:11

TEV
    It was faith that made Abraham
    cf. NIV, NRSV, NCV, NLT

TNIV
    And by faith even Sarah
    cf. KJV, ASV, RSV, AMP, NKJV, CEV, ESV, MESS, HCSB

7. puros_bran

puros_bran Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jerome, that's actually pretty interesting. The UBS 4th and the 21st Nestle do not have Abraham/Abram in the text.

I only have a KJV,NASB,Tniv,
    and NLT with me at the moment to compare but it was odd seeing the former 3 line up against the latter.

(On a lighter note, if I stack anymore books in this truck I'm going to have to quit hauling freight :) )

8. franklinmonroe

franklinmonroe Active Member

There is a footnote for the NIV here: "Or By faith even Sarah, who was past age, was enabled to bear children because she ..."

Notice the NET with footnotes of explanation --
    By faith, even though Sarah herself was barren and he was too old, 12 he received the ability to procreate, 13 because he regarded the one who had given the promise to be trustworthy.

12 tn Grk “past the time of maturity.”
    13 tn Grk “power to deposit seed.” Though it is not as likely, some construe this phrase to mean “power to conceive seed,” making the whole verse about Sarah: “by faith, even though Sarah herself was barren and too old, she received ability to conceive, because she regarded the one who had given the promise to be trustworthy.”
    The context "By faith Abraham..." begins at Hebrews 11:8 (repeated in 11:17) and he is the primary subject through verse 19. There is no translation without interpretation. This is also the understanding of the NIrV, and God's Word translation (perhaps others); it is not the current rendering in the NLT.

9. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    AMEN to all of the above.

Dobson's hyprocrisy is galling.But on bended knees folks with more intelligence and scholarship in their little fingers ask for Dobson's blessings.You'd think he was a pope from the Middle Ages or something.

Who is he to make his pronouncements anyway?

His program sponsores "Adventures In Odyssey" which uses the NIrV Bible.It was brought to his attention years ago that "inclusive language" was used in the translation.Yikes!He offered to settle-up with folks who wanted to get rid of that nasty,feminist-driven,PC-caving translation.The NIrV translation was altered to please Mr.Dobson.What a waste.I have the original from 1994 even though I bought it in 2006.It's perfectly suitable for young children and folks learning English -- among other groups like prisoners.

Aside from the subject of Bible translations --I'm glad Fred Thompson stood up to him.

10. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps that's on a heavier note!

11. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

On this particular subject Rippon is 100% correct.

12. puros_bran

puros_bran Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The subject of the Tniv or the subject of it being a heavier note? :tongue3:

#12 puros_bran, Feb 23, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2009
  13. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

TNIV 2b specific

14. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

A person either accepts or rejects the TNIV.

15. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your statement needs some qualification.If someone doesn't prefer to use the TNIV for whatever reason (or non-reason) it has no bearing on their Christian faith.It's not as if they are rejecting Christ or anything.You didn't intend any misunderstanding -- I just wanted to clarify TCG.

Besides,there are a growing body of people who used to be diehard opponents against the TNIV based on highly publicized misinformation.They now have moved into the pro-TNIV camp.So someone who rejects it today may actually come to embrace it sooner or later.

16. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Colossians

G =GNB
    T =TNIV
    N =NASU

1:12
    G : And with joy give thanks to the Father,who has made you fit to have your share of what God has reserved for his peoplein the kingdom of light.

T : and giving joyful thanks to the Father,who has qualified you to share in the inheritance of his people in the kingdom of light.

N : giving thanks to the Father,who has qualified us to share in the inheritance of the saints in Light.

1:17

G : Christ existed before all things,and in union with him all things have their proper place.

T : He is before all things,and in him all things hold together.

N : He is before all things,and in him all things hold together.

1:20

G : Through the Son,then,God decided to bring the whole universe back to himself.God made peace through his Son's blood on the cross and so brought back to himself all things,both on earth and in heaven.

T : and through him to reconcile to himself all things,whether things on earth or things in heaven,by making peace through his blood,shed on the cross.

N : and through Him to reconcile all things to Himself,having made peace through the blood of His cross;through Him,I say,whether things on earth or things in heaven.

3:4

G : Your real life is Christ and when he appears,then you too will appear with him and share his glory.

T : When Christ who is your life,appears,then you also will appear with him in glory.

N : When Christ,who is our life,is revealed,then you also will be revealed with Him in glory.

3:25

G : And wrongdoers will be repaid for the wrong things they do,because God judges everyone by the same standard.

T : Those who do wrong will be repaid for their wrongs,and there is no favoritism.

N : For he who does wrong will receive the consequences of the wrong which he has done,and that without partiality.

17. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Thanks for the clarification.

Yes, I'm noticing that too.

18. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Colossians 3:6

TEV
    Because of such things God's anger will come upon those who do not obey him.
    cf. KJV, ASV, NASB, NKJV, NRSV, HCSB

TNIV
    Because of these, the wrath of God is coming.
    cf. RSV, NIV, NCV, NLT, MESS, ESV

19. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You can add the Weymouth to the second category.

Added later: Here's the MLB:"On account of them God's anger will come [on disobedient people]." Then a footnote says:"The words enclosed in brackets are not found in the majority of the most reliable ancient manuscripts.The expression is found elsewhere in the N.T.,however,e.g. Eph.5:6."

The NET Notes indicate (as do other translations)that some manuscripts have the disobedient wording and some don't.The earliest don't.

"The decision to retain the words in the text is less than certain."

In Ephesians 5:6 a parallel account has :"Let no one deceive you with empty words,for because of such things God's wrath comes on those who are disobedient."(TNIV)

This is conjecture on my part,but perhaps some scribes (or one) thought to place the ending of Ephesians 5:6 to the ending of Colossians 3:6 to harmonize the readings.

#19 Rippon, Feb 24, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2009
  20. puros_bran

puros_bran Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please tell me the MLB isn't the Major League Baseball edition..... :tongue3:

Whats the MLB Rippon? I'm afraid I've never heard of it.