1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Go and sell all that you have...then come..

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by ReformedBaptist, Aug 16, 2008.

1. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

Dear BB,

I ran accross a short paragraph on the net that began with the following question...

Rather than post the man's answer, I thought it would be a good question for us to answer biblically. The passage is Matt 19:16-30. Let's look at what Jesus is saying and doing.

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It wasn't about money or works it was about submission and Christ being Lord.

3. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One of the criminals hanging beside him scoffed, “So you’re the Messiah, are you? Prove it by saving yourself—and us, too, while you’re at it!”

But the other criminal protested, “Don’t you fear God even when you have been sentenced to die?
    We deserve to die for our crimes, but this man hasn’t done anything wrong.”
    Then he said, “Jesus, remember me when you come into your Kingdom.”

And Jesus replied, “I assure you, today you will be with me in paradise.”
    Luke 23:39-43 NLT

Nope, wasn't about money or works

Rob

4. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

To many bad teaching has been done on these verses. You are correct.

5. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The inevitable result of cherry picking verses to suit your agenda AND ignoring context. The liberal's dream!!!

6. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's like saying God's commandment to Abraham to offer Isaac had nothing to do with his son.

Christ's commandment to the rich young ruler is the same as God's commandment to Abraham. That which we love most in this world is that which we will be asked to abandon merely because He asked it, not for any pragmatic value or any other earthly "good" that we can perceive. Even if it means killing or abandoning a promised blessing.

His commandment has everything to do with money. If we are working and gathering possessions for hallowed reasons, that we may have to give to him that needeth (4:28), then we will not perceive this commandment as being grievous or difficult, and neither would we be looking for ways to rewrite it.

{edited to add} In the immediate context, Christ's commandment demonstrated that the rich young ruler had not kept the commandments from his youth up. In front of everyone He showed that the ruler was covetous, and had no real love for God or His kingdom.

#6 Aaron, Aug 17, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2008
  7. KJVO

KJVO New Member

Sorry, had to delete post, no longer a Baptist.
    Thanks

#7 KJVO, Aug 17, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2008
  8. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Seem to remember the context in Mark mentions some commandments the man was following, compare that list with the whole ten and I think the man's missing emphasis was indeed God. Of course the memory could be in error. Back to :sleep:

9. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I think the ruler had love for God and His kingdom just as Abraham had a love for God. If he had no love for God he wouldn't have kept his commandments. Unfortunately there are many so called believers who keep his commandments but still are not truly known of the Father. The problem with the ruler is his love for money was greater than his love for God. That's why Jesus told him to put up or shut up. With Abraham he was asking, "do you love your son more than me"?

So I agree with the previous poster, it was not about money as much as it was about priorities. What or who is number one in your life.