1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Goal in Preaching

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by grace_proclaimed, Jan 6, 2003.

1. grace_proclaimed

grace_proclaimed New Member

What is your goal in preaching?
    Is it a short term goal that you can see immediate results or results in a few days to a few months? Is it a long term goal in which you feel it will take a significant amount of time to bring about the things which you desire to see happen as a result of your preaching?
    Is it a mixture of these?
    Just curious....I tend to have a long term mentality with short term patience..... :D [​IMG] ;) [​IMG] I;m trying to achieve balance in my expectations, etc.
    JLS )(Jason_)

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    My goal in preaching in to bring glory to God. Part of this responsibility in to minister to the flock.

So my preaching is to minister in Jesus' name to His body. I will let Him take care of the results - immediate, longterm or anywhere in between!

Hey, I get discouraged when I preach a message that I KNOW hits home and some folks blow it off. But I get my orders and paycheck from God, not man.

Helps keep it in perspective. :cool:

3. grace_proclaimed

I was writing from the standpoint that a pastor seeks to see some changes in the ones to whom he preaches. While understanding your comments, let me rephrase mine to say...."Is there a time frame that you have in mind when you preach as to when and how the truth affects change in people?"
    Just curious.
    JLS

4. dan53

dan53 New Member

When I preach I have two primary things in mind. Glory and Honor to and for my Savior !! and providing the members with the tools to live their lives every day ! If I can get them to think about Godly things; I have done my job... I can not change their hearts; that's God's job. By the way, He does a great job of it too !! [​IMG] [​IMG] :cool:

5. grace_proclaimed

Do you ever get impatient with the people?
    You know, after 2.5 years where I am , I see that I am just learning the people and they me. At the same time, I notice there are changes. Yet, God is changing them in the way HE pleases, I see....not necessarily in the way I expect it to be done.
    Is this your experience?
    JLS