1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

God’s only version of evolution-

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by stilllearning, Jul 23, 2008.

1. stilllearning

stilllearning Active Member

2 Corinthians 5:17
    “Therefore if any man [be] in Christ, [he is] a new creature:
    old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.”

The way He transforms a “dirty rotten sinner”, into a “fine upstanding sinner”.
    --------------------------------------------------
    A change that it real & tangible & measurable.

All those who profess to have been born again, who don’t exhibit this kind of measurable change, are most likely still in their sins.

2. guitarpreacher

guitarpreacher New Member

So how do you measure the difference between a dirty rotten sinner and a fine upstanding sinner?

3. stilllearning

Matthew 7:20
    “Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.”

4. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

This passage is mainly talking about identifying false prophets, not believers or non-believers.

The Mormons quote this all the time to "prove" they are Christians.

5. stilllearning

James 2:18
    “Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.”

6. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

With a holy ruler... :laugh:

7. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

That's not evolution; that's creation. The English word "creature" in 2 Corinthians 5.17 is used in the sense of "created thing", or "creation" as it is translated in several English versions.

8. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

After the new creation we are "changed" (metamorphoo) by the Spirit to show forth the image of Christ.

2 Corinthians 3:18 But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord.

HankD​

9. stilllearning

Hi HankD

Thanks for the response to David Lamb;

That is about the same thing that I would have said.

10. allenm

allenm New Member

This is a side topic, but it hits on something I've been thinking about.

My wife had a door visit by Jehovah's Witnesses. It rattled her a bit, not because of them but because of herself. She was polite and turned them away but she felt ill-equipped to defend against their comments, biblically. She knows there is miss-alignment between Jehovah's Witnesses and Christian Baptist but she didn't know the touch-points differences.

Since then I have been looking for study material on apologetics and/or study guides how to handle cults in a Christian way.

Anyone have suggestions?

Again, sorry if I'm stealing the thread :}

11. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Gospel and the epistles of John.

Know these books and you will be armed against any and all who deny the Deity and/or the humanity of Jesus Christ.

HankD

12. stilllearning

Hi allenm

Don’t worry about “stealing this thread”, because this is a subject that I also think is very important.
    Yes, I understand how your wife could be rattled, by these door to door false prophets.
    They are a classic example, of wolves in sheep’s clothing.

First lets reflect on the specific instructions God gives us, in His Word about these visits.
    Because of these instructions, I NEVER let a JW into my house. But I always step out on my porch, with my Bible and talk with them.
    As for what can be said to them;

What I do, is start comparing Bibles; I open my Bible(KJV), to John 1:1, and we compare it to what there Bible says......
    Since their religion, denies the Deity of Christ, they have changed this verse.....
    (Adding one letter!)

Their Bible reads......
    This seems to be, an area that they don’t want to go;
    But if we can cast doubt, into the minds of the individual JWs that come to our door, then they have a good chance, of coming out of this false religion.
    Now everyone here knows, I am KJVO; But that has nothing to do with this issue.

Even if you don’t normally uses a KJV Bible, you need to have one handy, for when you step out on your porch, to try and win these dear people to Christ.

The reason a KJV Bible is important, is because of the TEST that they will put your Bible through.
    Many times, when you show them how their version of John 1:1 has been changed, they will want to test your Bible, to see if it is authentic.

The way they test a Bible is with Psalms 83:18
    When they see that your Bible has this word “JEHOVAH”, they can’t deny it.
    When we can show them, that their own religion is deceiving them, than we have done our Job.

13. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

That's the way it starts out.

Mat 7:15 Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.
    Mat 7:16 Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?

But there is definitely a break here and the same point is applied to "every good tree." Verse 20 applies to all of us. Besides, aren't false prophets non-Christians? So identifying one type of non-Christian can be used another type as well.

Mat 7:17 Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.
    Mat 7:18 A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither [can] a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.
    Mat 7:19 Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.
    Mat 7:20 Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.

14. allenm

allenm New Member

This is great info. I printed everyones reply my wife to read.

More, I want more = : D

Is there a book that dives into these details, or should we start a new topic and dive deeper?

Are there other, related BaptistBoard threads that have good content on this subject (I wouldn't want to be repetitive <grin>)

Thanks.

-Allen

15. Pipedude

Pipedude Active Member

I have been appalled at how little these visitors know.

My practice has been to invite them in and tell them that I do not consider myself a candidate, but I am intensely interested in hearing their story firsthand. "After all, you know that there's a lot of false information that gets passed around about y'all."

Once I had a pair of J-Dubs saying this and that, and the leader eventually spoke against the idea of eternal torment. I replied, "Well, over in Revelation it does say that the smoke of their torment ariseth up for ever and ever. So it seems that something must be going on there." He countered with the claim that he'd done some study on that word and "torment" actually meant "prison." Which allowed me to casually ask, "So you understand that verse to say that the smoke of their imprisonment ariseth up for ever and ever?" He changed the subject.

I had a couple of Mormon kids in here one night. The little squirts didn't even know the answers to the most obvious objections. I let them talk for a while, tried to get them to talk about themselves and their experiences. Eventually I asked them what they did with the verses that speak so strongly about there being one God, and one only. They were oblivious of them. I got a KJV and showed them two or three passages in Isaiah. They were stunned.

All of which is to say, a conversation with these folks is not like an encounter with an armed bandit where you have to slay him in order to survive yourself. Any book that outlines the cult's doctrines and gives verses will provide enough raw data. The real open door for me has always been to ask them about their meetings, their visitation experiences, and eventually their heart. Some of them yearn for the true God, and they tell me so if they perceive that I'm not out to win a fight.

16. stilllearning

Hi Pipedude

You said.........
    But we need to be careful. Remember what the Word says......
    1 Corinthians 10:12
    “Wherefore let him that thinketh he standeth take heed lest he fall.”