1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

God and the Spider

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by TexasSky, Sep 27, 2005.

1. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

--God and the Spider

During World War II, a US marine was separated from his unit on a Pacific island. The fighting had been intense, and in the smoke and the
    crossfire he had lost touch with his comrades.

Alone in the jungle, he could hear enemy soldiers coming in his direction. Scrambling for cover, he found his way up a high ridge to several small caves in the rock. Quickly he crawled inside one of the caves. Although safe for the moment, he realized that once the enemy soldiers looking for him swept up the ridge, they would quickly search all the caves and he would be killed.

As he waited, he prayed, "Lord, if it be your will, please protect me.

Whatever your will though, I love you and trust you. Amen."

After praying, he lay quietly listening to the enemy begin to draw close. He thought, "Well, I guess the Lord isn't going to help me out of this one." Then he saw a spider begin to build a web over the front of his cave.

As he watched, listening to the enemy searching for him all the while, the spider layered strand after strand of web across the opening of the
    cave.

"Hah, he thought. "What I need is a brick wall and what the Lord has sent me is a spider web. God does have a sense of humor."

As the enemy drew closer he watched from the darkness of his hideout and could see them searching one cave after another. As they came to his, he got ready to make his last stand. To his amazement, however, after glancing in the direction of his cave, they moved on. Suddenly, he realized that with the spider web over the entrance, his cave looked as if no one had entered for quite a while. "Lord, forgive me," prayed the young man. "I had forgotten that in you a spider's web is stronger than a brick wall."

We all face times of great trouble. When we do, it is so easy to forget the victories that God would work in our lives, sometimes in the most
    surprising ways. As the great leader, Nehemiah, reminded the people of Israel when they faced the task of rebuilding Jerusalem, "In God we
    will have success!" [Nehemiah 2:20]

Remember: Whatever is happening in your life, with God, a mere spider's web can become a brick wall of protection. Believe He is with you
    always.

2. Rachel

Rachel New Member

That was so neat! Thanks Sky. [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. PamelaK

PamelaK New Member

I had read that long ago but REALLY needed the reminder. It was so good to read it again. Thanks, Texas! [​IMG]

4. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Thanks.I read that sometime ago but it remains valid and the reminder is good. So once again thankyou.

5. mioque

mioque New Member

I know a Jewish version of that one in which the spider saves king David and an Islamic version in which the same trick saves Mohammed.
    Apparently God likes to reuse the same techniques. ;)

I think the king David version is the original.

6. NomadsWife

NomadsWife New Member

TexasSky, Thank you for posting this. I have been going through so many trials in my life lately and this post really touched my heart. I felt God reminding me of His presence when I read this.

Thank you again.

NomadsWife

7. Repent62

Repent62 New Member

That was great...it is SO important to remember the ways God has in looking out for His children!
    [​IMG]

Covenant Chapel

8. SAMPLEWOW

SAMPLEWOW New Member

I really liked that! THANKS! [​IMG]

9. Joman

Joman New Member

I would like to share that in my country...But, i'm sure i'll get lot of questions.. [​IMG]

Was the marine a Christian? Could God help the enemy of the soldier if it were a christian too?

10. mioque

mioque New Member

Joman
    I don't think that you will ever get an answer to your questions, considering that the whole thing most likely never actually happened.

11. Joman

Joman New Member

Oh well, then seems it's a USA only story...

12. Pete

Pete New Member

Enemy soldiers or a spider... :eek: I think I'ld rather deal with the soldiers... [​IMG]