1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

God, animals, and you

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by Alcott, May 5, 2008.

?
  1. Being cruel to an animal is a sin against God, though “cruel” is not clearly defined

16 vote(s)
    84.2%
  2. Failing to take proper care of a pet is a sin against God

14 vote(s)
    73.7%
  3. Any one animal is due the same value and respect from humans, regardless of size or type

5 vote(s)
    26.3%
  4. There is nothing wrong with killing animals which are “pests”

13 vote(s)
    68.4%
  5. Human respect for different animals justly depends on size, class, order, et al

4 vote(s)
    21.1%
  6. To capture and make a pet(?) of a wild animal is a sin against God

2 vote(s)
    10.5%
  7. Groups like the ASPCA are doing one facet of God’s will

3 vote(s)
    15.8%
  8. Using devices like jaw traps is cruel and a sin against God

4 vote(s)
    21.1%
  9. The fur industry, which kills minks, seals, et al, for fur is a sinful business

4 vote(s)
    21.1%
  10. Rough/harsh treatment of stock animals—branding, castrating—is a sin against God

2 vote(s)
    10.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    While most of us have probably heard all our lives that God created our pets and he expects us to take good care of them and never abuse them, and we’re supposed to “be kind to animals” and similar things, what does God and his Word really teach and require? The poll question assumes it’s common knowledge that scripture gives no comprehensive rundown, and does show that it’s alright to eat meat, and thus to kill animals for that purpose.

2. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

I think that a mistreated animal is indicitive of a troubled mind. However I believe that there are animals that are unclean and bring in pestilence and sickness. Thus are subject to be trapped and even killed. Even so these same animals, rats, are great for lab research. Basically I believe that animal use and care fall under stewardship of God's creation. Everything is here for a purpose and we must use it wisely. :thumbsup:

3. donnA

donnA Active Member

Of course I have opinions about each of them, I do hate animal cruilty, like abusing a pet, or purposely abusing any animal for the enjoyment of it's suffering. But for me to call these things listed sin I'd need scripture first, even though I find most of them distasteful.

4. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Pro 12:10 A righteous [man] regards the life of his animal, But the tender mercies of the wicked [are] cruel.

Exd 20:10 but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the LORD your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates.

2Sa 12:3 But the poor man had nothing, except one little ewe lamb which he had bought and nourished; and it grew up together with him and with his children. It ate of his own food and drank from his own cup and lay in his bosom; and it was like a daughter to him.

I think there's also a verse about not beating your animals, but I may be mistaken. I couldn't find it.

5. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In Numbers 22, Balaam get chewed out by an angel for having beaten his donkey, who also had protested [I wonder if her name was Frances]. But this bizarre incident, said the angel, was because if the donkey had not veered away the angel would have killed Balaam. Obviously angels are not sent to prevent, or even to criticize, beating an animal 99.999% of the time.

In a class one time the one teaching about Jesus' entry into Jerusalem said that, since both the colt on which he rode and the donkey made that trip, that "Jesus will not separate an animal from its mother." Well, he did that Passover lamb they munched on; or at least he approved of it. And of course he said that no sparrow can fall to the ground without the Father's knowing it; but they do fall to the ground, become injured, get eaten, et al.

The fact is, biblical references to animals are almost always just in passing or in illustrattion, with no moral values attached. Like it or not, our opinions about this are not based on scripture as the primary source.

6. donnA

donnA Active Member

Thank you.
    I recall many times over and over about the vicious slaughter of animals, and sometimes many many animals in one day.

7. Joe

Joe New Member

Thank you Amy. We are accountable in treating God's creatures in a humane manner.

A common denominator with regards to serial killers is they often started out torturing animals.

8. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The 2 most interesting poll responses so far are for the 2 questions which ask almost the same thing... "Any one animal is due the same value and respect from humans, regardless of size or type" which gets 4 checks, or 33.3%; and "Human respect for different animals justly depends on size, class, order, et al," which gets 3, or 25%. If you checked the first one, or did not check the second, are you saying a horse and a mosquito are 'due the same respect' from humans? or the class of mammals are from our vantage the same as the class of insects? Or were the questions understood as not considering insects as "animals," even though they must be [animal, vegetable, or mineral?]?

Otherwise, maybe we wish we could be like Ellie May, since just 17% think it's a sin to capture and make a pet of a wild animal. But few of us (I'm sure) have that rare ability to charm a wild critter with a soft voice and get them to do almost anything.

But the main idea of the poll does seem to be verified; that some things are considered a sin which are at best only implied in scripture; that we do think some such moral wrongs are so obvious they need not be so scripted.

9. Hardsheller

Hardsheller Active Member
    Site Supporter

11 of you think that being cruel to an animal is a sin against God.

Are all 11 of you vegetarians?

10. Joe

Joe New Member

I am not a vegetarian. I eat fish and eggs. Fish diet is mostly salmon and tuna. Eat a little meat sometimes, but it's rare.
    Our eggs come from a neighbor down the street. Her chickens are free roaming chickens. Tasty brown, tan and green eggs :)

11. Hardsheller

Site Supporter

So Joe are you one of the 11 who thinks that being cruel to animals is a sin against God?

I would assume that killing an animal for food would impress the animal as being cruel if it could voice its opinion.

I guess we need to define cruel here.

12. Joe

Joe New Member

:laugh: This is hilarious :thumbs:

Um...yes

13. Hardsheller

Site Supporter

Joe, do you apologize to all the live fish you see for eating their brother? :laugh:

14. Joe

Joe New Member

No. Bumble Bee notifies the next of kin and we hold a fishy funeral :D

15. Joe

Joe New Member

That was a very sad story. The animal was mistreated yet cared so much for it's owner that it saved it's life. That's how smart he was. I believe that stories partial purpose is to consider or weigh the cognitive ability of the animal to humans in deciding which animals to consume. Except obviously most animals cannot articulate like Balamm but some can. Like the Gorilla (sign language), and possibly others we are unaware of.

Today while I was working a lizard kept getting in my way. Then another much larger aligator lizard was running back and fourth in front of me. Finally I realized they were mates, and probably had a nest nearby. I had to finish my work outside but decided to leave for a while then come back.

The female lizard had guts, she was still there within a few feet of me. Then ran out in front of me again, back and fourth as to guard something behind her. I got really close to her and she didn't move. Just watched me while guarding her nest. Or that is my guess, they usually run away.

In watching her, she seems to obtain a much higher cognitive ability that I would expect from an aligator lizard. I gave her a snack, and she ate it. I think she liked me.

Funny, that if our pets were slaughtered and tortured in the manner most cattle/chickens are, it would horrify us. Because we KNOW our pet, we have bonded to our pet. We know our pet posesses high cognitive abilities. The dog/cat comes when we call, they loves us back, etc..Yet a pig is smarter than a dog. So a pig's plight is equally valid, yet we do not know a pig unless it is our pet. So we fool ourselves into thinking eating our greesy bacon is not sin. The Lord obviously did not intend us to drug the animal until it's so fat it's poor little legs can't hold it's body up. He didn't intend for us to slaugher our pigs in such a slow manner that it suffers along the way. He didn't intend for us to pack pigs in tiny quarters which cause them to freak out.

So we eat bacon which makes us fat, drug ourselves, clogg our arteries with total disregard for the manner the poor pig was probably slaughtered. In the OT, the pig was not to be eaten, it was an unclean animal. Not to mention we aren't to use drugs except for medicinal uses, yet everytime we eat a hamburger, we are doing drugs. Unless we know who killed the animal, or pay for organic meat. At least it's making a good faith effort.

But with all this, we are all sinners, and I am no different.

#15 Joe, May 7, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2008
  16. Hardsheller

Site Supporter

Joe,

So it's allright to eat a free ranging pig?

How about wild game?

17. Joe

Joe New Member

If it's killed humanely (quickly), free-roaming pig should be alright. Could be a sin though.

Imo, it's best to avoid consuming the smarter animals

Wild game is as perfect as it gets. It's healthier and tastes better

One cow produces alot of meat compared to one chicken so it's better to eat Cattle.
    Less animals are tortured this way

In the beginning, we were vegetarians. Only after the fall did God allow animal consumption.

His perfect plan in the beginning didn't involve consuming or torturing our furry friends.

Just a thought...

Are you a vegetarian?

#17 Joe, May 7, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2008
  18. Hardsheller

Site Supporter

No I'm not a vegetarian. I am a hunter - not a trophy hunter but a meat hunter.

I don't have any problem with the smart animals - the only ones I can harvest are the dumb ones. :laugh:

19. Ivon Denosovich

Ivon Denosovich New Member

I would vote for:

...were it an option.