1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

God Can Do Whatever He Wants To Do With Whoever He Wants To Do It

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by idonthavetimeforthis, Jan 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Perhaps you could be so kind as to post a few verses where the word "leadeth" means "drive". Why do you think all translations use the word "lead"? Why not translate it "drive"?

2. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

I'll let you look it up. Experience is the best teacher.

Also, Greek is hard to express in our language to it's fullest meaning, or, am I wrong there, too?

If I were you, I'd go check it out. You maybe should have prior to blasting me as wrong, like the other two banned fellows?

Sometimes I am right. This time I am.

- Blessings

3. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I did look a few up and did not find what you are telling me. That's why I asked for some examples. But whatever.

I never blasted you. I just disagreed.

4. preacher4truth

Do you think it fair to compare me to a couple of banned members, who didn't believe forever meant forever?

They look a little like the h word to me.

I suppose I dion't appreciate the comparison.

The word ago means what I have given. Translators have done their best to use these words in a way to help us. They don't come close to the full meaning at times. This is one reason we study and find some golden nuggets in the Scripture via study.

Acts 9 shows what I am saying. God was goading Paul toward repentance and belief.

He has every right. He's God. :)

5. Allan

Allan Active Member

My friend, you missed the point - even the REFORMED scholars (whom I quoted to you) disagree with you emphatically.

And seeing as how I can actually read the Greek (and Hebrew), this is not some 'new thing' to me. I have studied Calvinism for 7 years (using only the works of the reformed, not people saying what reformed people believe), with much praying and fasting and questioning my own beliefs. Can you say the same?
    It was through and because of this, God walked me away from that theological construct. While I agree in many places, I disagree in others. There are quite of few reformed friends I have on the BB who will tell you I'm the most Calvinistic Arminian they ever met. :)

Irregardless of that however, it is not I who stand incorrect here, but even according the those who are unquestionably reformed, they must also be.
    The emphasis of this word is not on 'dragging' or 'Driving' or 'inducing' or 'Guiding' (yes that is one of it's uses).. its emphasis is that God is the one doing the action itself.. and not of compelling.

You must great in the reformed faith indeed to state these reformed scholars are wrong as well.

#45 Allan, Jan 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2011
  6. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I am not looking through my "free will lens" but through the truth of scripture.

Revelation 22:17 And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely.

It does not say "whosoever God wills may come". The "will" in this verse belongs to the person who may come. It is our will to come to Christ or turn away.

7. preacher4truth

One more time, friend. Not ONE of the sources you quote support a thing you say.

Not one.

Uh, I never said they were wrong. :) (Do you actually read what I say or said?) Where did I say they are wrong? Oh, that's right, I didn't say that! :laugh:

You didn't read what I said, therefore you thought I said they are wrong.

I said, again, not ONE of them supports what you are trying to say. None. I'm so glad you know the languages. This proves yet another person who thinks they know the languages and are thus an expert.

Wonder if I too know them? Hmmm.

God certainly goaded Paul to repentance and belief. Shucks. Acts 9?

:wavey:

#47 preacher4truth, Jan 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2011
  8. preacher4truth

Amy,

I respect and appreciate you.

This has not a thing to do with our discussion.

God bless you and yours.

:godisgood:

9. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    More man-centered "It is MY choice" false gospel. For, of course, every single one will "will" not to come. Why? It is our fallen sinful nature at enmity with God.

"But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, even to those who believe in His name, who were born not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God."

Oops. God's will trumps and changes man's capability to respond. But GOD'S will comes first, not the will of our flesh/human nature.

"So then it does not depend on the man who wills or the man who runs, but on God who has mercy."

Oops. God's will trumps and changes man not man's will.

"There is no one who is righteous, not even one; there is no one who has understanding, there is no one who seeks God. All have turned aside, together they have become worthless; there is no one who does one good thing."

Oops. God's will trumps and changes man. Man cannot even SEEK God much less "will" to receive Him.

God PLEADS with mankind to repent and believe. The Spirit cries "Come". But unless God does a regenerating work in our wretched souls, the cry is vain; we will not, we cannot "come".

Thank God HIS will trumps all.

10. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1 Now after Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judea in the days of Herod the king, behold, wise men from the East came to Jerusalem, 2 saying, “Where is He who has been born King of the Jews? For we have seen His star in the East and have come to worship Him.” [Matt. 2]

11. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    And? Proving the point of God's will being done, even changing the hearts of some pagans (as He had done many times: Naaman, Nebuchadnezzar)

Why three zoroastrian priests from a thousand miles looking for Daniel's promised Messiah and not three million Jews from a hundred mile radius?

The only ones who hear/come are those chosen by the Father for His Son's bride. They have been changed. They came and worshiped.

Herod et al came to murder.

12. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I do not believe in a false gospel. People who believe in a false gospel have a false salvation. You should be ashamed to say such things, especially being an administrator. :mad:

I would report you, but I suppose that wouldn't do any good.

13. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So the magi are in heaven right now, is that correct?

14. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

False Gospel?? You're saying those of us who believe it is a choice, and, in turn, call for men to repent and believe on Christ, believe and preach a false gospel??

15. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

Brother, it's not your Calvinistic beliefs that cause you trouble, it's comments like these. Couldn't you have found a way to convey your thoughts without resorting to demeaning statements like these?

16. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

No Bob, it's presenting the truth of scripture to counteract the "false gospel" of Calvinism!

17. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

People like Dr. Bob use their authority to control the flow of the threads; those who agree with him are free to say almost anything. Those who disagree are not afforded the same consideration.

I guess when you view sovereignty the way he does, it's difficult not to see your views as sovereign over what others think!

18. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

I hardly see where your chance to say whatever is on your mind has been curtailed in the least.

19. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

I am somewhat in agreement Amy, on a board which a particular moderator is assigned, they should be a bit more circumspect, much like a journalist is supposed to be. On threads which they do not have the "moderator" role, then they should be as one of us.

20. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

I am in agreement, seems to me to a bit "out of bounds" by most standards, particularly for the role of a moderator.

Somethings should just be kept to oneself, but we are all sometimes guilty of letting loose with things better left unsaid.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.