1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

God chooses randomly?

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Jarlaxle, Feb 3, 2003.

1. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle New Member

npetreley wrote:
    You have to argue that with God.

As for me, I will take God at His Word. The entire argument of the passage relies on the axiom that works are merited via obligation. You can beg the question that I have taken something out of context if you like, but I will just listen to the word of God over your fallacies.

The word merit itself implies obligation: 1. To earn by service or performance; to have a right to claim as reward; to deserve; sometimes, to deserve in a bad sense; as, to merit punishment.

If you must redefine words to make your manmade doctrine about predestination fit, then do what you got to do. But as for me, I will listen to what God says.

2. romanbear

romanbear New Member

Hi Hardseller;
    If you are calvinist then you believe in unconditional election.This would have to mean that these verses don't apply to everyone.These verses say whosoever and world which means everyone. This is a contradiction to unconditional election
    Romanbear

3. romanbear

romanbear New Member

4. romanbear

romanbear New Member

Hi Jarlaxle;
    A note of encouragement amen to what you said
    Romanbear

5. romanbear

romanbear New Member

Hi russel 55;
    I'm real sorry that you didn't see it but God's word is sometimes that way. One day everything will be clear as crystal.You keep reading the word and you'll find out what I mean.
    Romanbear

6. Primitive Baptist

Primitive Baptist New Member

"And because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying Abba, Father." (Galatians 4:6)

There is something about this text. Notice, BECAUSE YE ARE SONS. Also notice that it is not written, IN ORDER TO MAKE YOU SONS.

However, many "Baptists" believe this. God saves one of His children, and that little "disobedient child of God" just will not submit to God. They may never believe, repent, walk in good works, etc. Perhaps Adolph Hitler was just a disobedient child of God. [​IMG] I reckon that to be a fabrication of Arminianianism hiding itself deviously under the doctrine of Sovereign Grace. As strange as it may sound, there are some Baptists who advocate that.

7. Hardsheller

Hardsheller Active Member
    Site Supporter

Sorry Romanbear but that's your opinion. As a Calvinist I say that whosoever and world doesn't mean everyone. This verse is not a contradiction to unconditional election.

It says God loves the World - Of course He does - He made it and said it was good.

It says that whosoever believes in Jesus will have eternal life - whosoever is the elect and they prove it by their belief.
    :D

8. Primitive Baptist

What is "the world?" According to Romans 11, "the world" is the Gentiles (cf.I Kings 8:41-43;
    Isaiah 56: 6, 7).

9. Primitive Baptist

In case you all think I am kidding, here is a quote from a Baptist article from those who believe this way:

"While God has reconciled all of his elect to himself in Christ on the cross, not all of God's elect are reconciled to him in time. Some live and die in disobedience to his word."

Conversely, the Scriptures teach:

" In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ:" (II Thessalonians 1:8)

Here, Paul equates those who disobey the gospel with those who know not God. Certainly this does not describe the elect of God whom He ordained to walk in good works (Ephesians 2:10).

10. russell55

russell55 New Member

I really doubt it, since I try to avoid eisegesis like the plague... [​IMG]

11. npetreley

npetreley New Member

I'm not familiar with that view. Is it possible he's talking about this? (1 Cor 3)

12. Primitive Baptist

No, this view goes way beyond that. This view claims that even though the elect are born again, they can choose not to obey the gospel, believe, repent, walk in good works, etc. They can just choose not to walk in the way of righteousness and be a "disobedient child of God." It is nothing but rank Arminianism!!! Since when did God ever grant us the privilege of wilfully disobeying Him?! According to these people, the elect may live like a reprobate. God will not interfere with them, however, not even with chastisement. That, they claim, would be fatalism. They deny the sovereignty of God. This heresy is called Conditional Time Salvation.

13. npetreley

npetreley New Member

That's even more weird than the secret change in soteriology after the apostolic age! I never heard of that doctrine.

Sounds self-contradictory to me. God is sovereign enough to make them the elect, but too ignorant to foresee their reaction and not powerful enough to have any affect on it? I know that God does allow believers to get pretty wacky (Corinthians come to mind), but He doesn't just throw up His hands because He can't do anything about it (Corinthians again come to mind). So it doesn't really make sense to me.

CTS, eh? Sounds more like it should be Called To Sin. [​IMG]

14. Primitive Baptist

15. Harald

Harald New Member

Conditional Time Salvation is a pathetic heresy which goes against the heart of the New Covenant promises of Almighty God ("I will...they shall"). It is also linked to the denial of absolute predestination of all things. I have entertained thoughts that the heresy which plagued the Galatian congregations may have been something similar to CTS. The CTS proponents find no support for this novelty from the NT scriptures.

Harald