1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

God expects us to live up to the light we have.

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by steaver, Jan 3, 2007.

1. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Claudia says...."God expects us to live up to the light we have".

Can you post scripture that says this? And explain how it does not mean "interpretations" of the written word given from above.

God Bless!

2. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Are there any non SDA folks who see my analysis as off? SDA folks might just be a bit subborn to see the "light".

God Bless!

3. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Since these posts are going unnanswered....

It is "instructive" that failing TO HAVE me actually say that - Steaver INSERTS it and pronounces victory over his own made up argument AS IF I HAD MADE IT!!

What a great tool for debate in the dark ages -- but how well does it work in the light of day?

I think it would have been much more enlighteing to ADDRESS the points in my post -- instead of making up a bogus argument -

Instead of avoiding this post -- address post 69 showing that you oppose the very methods used by the reformers. http://www.baptistboard.com/showpost.php?p=940065&postcount=69

The same is shown in post 72 and 73 -- you simply ignore what you can not answer and then repeat some bogus argument nobody has MADE here!!
    http://www.baptistboard.com/showpost.php?p=941037&postcount=72

And I am guessing we can add
    http://www.baptistboard.com/showpost.php?p=941069&postcount=89

To the list of unnanswered posts...

How in the world does that "SHOW" anything but the failure in your own position?

Just a thought.

In Christ,

Bob

#83 BobRyan, Jan 21, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2007
  4. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    This is actually a good tactic -- when arguing for a particular view - try to seek a group that already is biased in your favor instead of testing it against the hard questions.

Just ignore the posts that expose the flaws in your argument and seek out "yes-men".

It gets tried all the time.

in Christ,

Bob

5. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

Jn:12:35: Then Jesus said unto them, Yet a little while is the light with you. Walk while ye have the light, lest darkness come upon you: for he that walketh in darkness knoweth not whither he goeth.

6. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Has nothing to do with Getting light from reading God's word. Try again!

God Bless!

7. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

BobRyan:

Since these posts are going unnanswered....

Quote:
    Originally Posted by steaver
    Ellen and Joe, SDA and Mormon, have this same distinction about their religion, that is they both claim that if you REALLY want to know the truth you will be "open minded" or "seek in faith" and then the Holy Spirit will reveal to you that THEIR DOCTRINE IS THE RIGHT ONE! Well, they don't say it like that, but that is the result of the what they preach. And if you disagree, well you don't really want to see the truth.

I believe that this thread has accomplished what I had intended it to do. Which is one, it shows that a SDA saying "God expects us to live up to the light we have" is exposed as meaning "God expects us to live up to what the SDA church (EGW) has declared

It is "instructive" that failing TO HAVE me actually say that - Steaver INSERTS it and pronounces victory over his own made up argument AS IF I HAD MADE IT!!

--------------

I cant believe he is doing this sort of thing Bob but thats why I said what I did awhile back, I knew this was what he really made this thread for... thats why I didnt even want to answer him... look what he has done with just the little bit I have said...

Claudia

8. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Bob, pretty much everything you posted is mixing apples and oranges and everyone can see that clearly you are equating the forth coming of the written word recorded in the gospels with todays Christian who is reading that word. It is an empty comparision.

God Bless!

9. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Is this where your idea of "ignore posts that expose Steaver's argument as failed" would ignore texts such as James 4:17???

"To him that KNOWS to do right and does it not to HIM IT IS SIN"???

James 4:17
    Therefore, to one who knows the right thing to do and does not do it, to him it is sin.

And oh-- here is another great text to ignore and pretend is in the form "SDAs are wrong because we always say they are wrong when talking to ourselves" ...

It shows true accountability for what is KNOWN --

Luke 12
    47"And that slave who knew his master's will and did not get ready or act in accord with his will, will receive many lashes,
    48but the one who did not know it, and committed deeds worthy of a flogging, will receive but few From everyone who has been given much, much will be required; and to whom they entrusted much, of him they will ask all the more.

10. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

It works for me Steve.

Jn:3:20: For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.

Jn:3:21: But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God.

11. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

No steve you should just ignore the light in the Bible when you read it...

12. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    What a great way to excuse the practice of "ignoring what gets posted when it refutes your argument" --

I just know that your solution there is "going to work" for at least one of the "yes-men" in your group.

But how do you expect it to work on a debate forum where I keep exposing the flaws in your argument?

That is the part that has me puzzled. Why do you think such tactics would work here?

In Christ,

Bob

13. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Wonderfull scriptures! They say nothing about reading God's Word and receiving light though, Try again!

God Bless!

14. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    It is left as an exercise for the reader to note how that last post from Steaver fell flat!

I can't believe how your argument has collapsed here Steaver -- I would have thought it would have survived better than this.

15. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

Hosea 4:6: My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge, I will also reject thee

16. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Instead of avoiding this post -- address post 69 showing that you oppose the very methods used by the reformers. http://www.baptistboard.com/showpost.php?p=940065&postcount=69

The same is shown in post 72 and 73 -- you simply ignore what you can not answer and then repeat some bogus argument nobody has MADE here!!
    http://www.baptistboard.com/showpost...7&postcount=72

And I am guessing we can add
    http://www.baptistboard.com/showpost...9&postcount=89

To the list of unnanswered posts...

How in the world does that "SHOW" anything but the failure in your own position?

Just a thought.

In Christ,

Bob

17. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Again speaking about rejecting Jesus Christ as Saviour, nothing to do with the question. Try again!

God Bless!

18. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

Im sorry steve I dont want to play your little game, this is why I will REALLY know to avoid you next time.

I guess maybe thats your whole problem though, if you dont even know you are supposed to find out what God is telling you and then do it LOL!

19. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    There really is not any argument here at all. Joe Smith declares if you really seek the truth you will find that what he states is truth. You have said the same in as many words, that is If I am "open minded" I will see that your positions are the right ones.

God Bless!

20. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Would that be knowledge as you see it written? Still has nothing to do with a NT CHRISTIAN reading God's word and receiving light. Can you PLEASE stay on the question?? :love2: