1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured God Gave Wine: What the Bible Says About Alcohol

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Oct 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, but not coffee! Woo-boy! Try to have 1 cup of that! :laugh:

2. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not sure why this statement is eliciting such a screaming fit.
    How in the world could someone so drunk that he is unable to drive be drinking in 'moderation'?

3. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

One wants others to define what moderation is so he can go on a rant that that is not what it means to HIM.

Let each be convinced in his own mind.

Let the one who allows this not rub it in on the person who is weak.

Let not the weak one attempt to act strong and accuse those who are of being drunkards which is unfounded drivel.

#83 preacher4truth, Oct 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2013
  4. thisnumbersdisconnected

Here's my bottom line: If drinking, or even approving of drinking, in moderation offends others, I won't drink in front of them or approve of drinking in front of them.

It seems that I don't get the same courtesy afforded me from those who condemn drinking, though, for my having that viewpoint. Many condemn me as un-Christian for taking such a stance. But until someone can point out to me where the Bible says the equivalent of "thou shalt not drink alcohol" I will continue to hold this same view. Thank you.

5. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

6. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Well let me help you understand it.

First of all, the statement is ambiguous. What does he mean by "not able to drive"? Does he mean PHYSICALLY not able to drive or past the legal limit or what.

Because the legal limit IS NOT IN THE BIBLE. Some people said that in general in their opinion most people at this particular BAL ought not drive so we passed a law. But that law is not in the Bible.

Secondly, if you have no INTENTION of driving why does it matter if you can drive or not?

Thirdly, this is an arbitrary rule Mitchell put up. WHO SAID that the standard for moderation has ANYTHING WHATSOEVER TO DO with how fit you are to drive a complicated piece of machinery speeds upwards of 70 miles per hour!?!?! How STUPID, I mean utterly MORONIC is that standard!!

I could go on...

7. thisnumbersdisconnected

Please don't. A rant that takes a full minute to read is plenty for one day.

8. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

That's about all I can handle because of my stomach. I can have two cups of a diner cup but Starbucks, I can't even handle a venti. :)

9. Winman

Winman Active Member

Well, that is the problem, food does not affect one's judgment, while alcohol does. This is the problem with "responsible" drinking, drinking tends to make one act less responsible.

#89 Winman, Oct 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2013
  10. Winman

Winman Active Member

What? You do not know that alcohol is addicting? That is not a rumor spread at BJU, that is a FACT that has been indisputably known for thousands of years. It is shown in the scriptures.

Pro 23:29 Who hath woe? who hath sorrow? who hath contentions? who hath babbling? who hath wounds without cause? who hath redness of eyes?
    30 They that tarry long at the wine; they that go to seek mixed wine.
    31 Look not thou upon the wine when it is red, when it giveth his colour in the cup, when it moveth itself aright.
    32 At the last it biteth like a serpent, and stingeth like an adder.
    33 Thine eyes shall behold strange women, and thine heart shall utter perverse things.
    34 Yea, thou shalt be as he that lieth down in the midst of the sea, or as he that lieth upon the top of a mast.
    35 They have stricken me, shalt thou say, and I was not sick; they have beaten me, and I felt it not: when shall I awake? I will seek it yet again.

Read that last line, that is addiction. No one ever thinks they are going to become dependent on alcohol or drugs, but millions of people do.

Don't ever say what you won't do. Don't ever say, "I'll never become addicted to drink". You are just setting yourself up for a fall.

11. Winman

Winman Active Member

Yeah, wild rants like that have nothing to do with consuming alcohol. :rolleyes:

12. thisnumbersdisconnected

Not unless the ranter has consumed a lot himself, no.

13. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well I have not and am not addicted to drinking and I bet brother Luke is not neither. But yes I agree that alcohol can be addicting as that one verse indicates. However this is not to say that ALL are addicted to it.

14. Bob in St. Louis

Bob in St. Louis New Member

I hate to interrupt the spirited conversation, but I was just curious if anyone had any thoughts about my comment/question.

Thank you,
    Bob

15. Winman

Winman Active Member

Is this your question?

To be honest, I do not quite understand what you are asking here. What do you mean by your "goal of joining Jesus"?

Could you be a little more specific? I will attempt to answer you, and I am sure others will respond as well.

16. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I was just going to ask this as well. What is this "goal of joining Jesus" idea??

17. Bob in St. Louis

Thank you both very much for the reply.
    I guess my wording is odd, but I'm not sure how to verbalize my desire. I'm trying to be a good Christian, but I also like alcohol. I was looking for a definitive answer on what is acceptable (by Christ) with regard to consumption of alcohol. As the thread has continued on, I'm getting the picture that it's not totally clear what's acceptable.

When I said "Joining Jesus", I meant going to Heaven when I die. I thought my wording on that was clear, so my apologies on that one. My bad.

Bob

18. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

My measure is this: What would you be comfortable drinking in front of Jesus - or your pastor - or the underage college student? :)

Seriously, I think a glass of something periodically is fine. Science tells us no more than 1-2 drinks a day for a grown man but honestly, I personally am not comfortable with that for my own family. But a couple of drinks a week in the privacy of your own home? I don't see a problem with that.

That said, alcohol is not mandatory and it's better to err on the side of caution than on the side of liberty.

19. Bob in St. Louis

That's a good reply, thank you.
    After quick thought, I drink in front of Jesus everyday. Obviously he sees what I consume, and I don't find myself embarrassed by it.

My pastor has been to my home once. I drank Gatorade in his presence. In all honesty, I felt like I would have been "judged" more by him that Jesus (I know that's wrong).

An underage college student could probably "drink me under the table", in a given evening. :laugh:
    Just kidding. I would not worry about my drinking in that situation.

Ann, Thank you again for the reply!
    Bob

20. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

:)

Now, that could be an issue of guilt on your part (not completely come to terms with what your decision is on drinking and so feel a little guilty when thinking about drinking in front of him), that he has shown a judgmental attitude regarding drinking so you will hide it from him or else you just don't know your pastor well.

See, this is one of the cases that are one of the reasons we don't drink. Up until this July, we have had an underage college student in our house for years (oldest is 23, next one down just turned 21 in July) and we wanted to show them that you don't need to drink to be cool or happy. We want to support them in avoiding alcohol so we don't drink. Now they both are of age and have tried some sips of drinks but don't much care for them and they know it's not a big deal to not drink so they just don't.

Anytime!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.