1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

God Got The Memo

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Rippon, Apr 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

It's your theology that teaches it...I would think you would have it, no?

2. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, I don't have those Scriptures.
    Do you ?

3. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Looks like webbie doesn't have the Scriptures.

Any one here have them ?

4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Maybe that's because calvinism is built off of false presuppositions, then.

5. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, I'll let the Calvinists speak for themselves, then.
    Although I don't think they have those Scriptures themselves, but, you're right, there are those among Calvinists who do tend to carry a verse farther than it should go, though in fairness, I don't think Rippon or many of the Calvinists on this board are of that number.
    As far as Primitive Baptists are concerned, a great number of us just do not buy into Absolute Predestination, or Double Predestination, for that matter.
    We believe all men, including the elect, are born in this time world, at enmity with God, which is why God needs to regenerate them, and which is why Christ, by His death, reconciled them to God.

6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I don't see a vast difference between the PB and C's (sounds like a sandwich). To me PB is taking C too far...hyper C.

7. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sounds to me like you're the one full of presuppositions about other Christians, webbie.

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

How so? Try theology...not theologians. I would venture that even C's would call your theology hyper.

What do you know! Even the "Prince of Preachers" believes this!

English hyper-Calvinists (most happen to be Baptists), American "Gospel Standard" hypers, and Primitive Baptists have traditionally held to this form of hyper-Calvinism. They generally oppose evangelism of any kind. They would (usually) also embrace all five errors of hyper-Calvinism listed above. Their rhetoric tends to be extremely arrogant and elitist—the natural outgrowth of such theology. Normally they claim that they alone are consistent and true to the doctrines of divine sovereignty, and label every other view "Arminianism" or (lately) "hypo-Calvinism."

http://www.spurgeon.org/~phil/articles/hypercal.htm

#68 webdog, Apr 11, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2008
  9. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some of our ancestral PB's were not even high school graduates, webbie, much less Bible college graduates, since we don't believe in established Bible colleges, so you can barely accuse any of being a theologian.

My departed 101 year old former pastor, Brother Jim Compton, got only to third grade,

And yes, even C's call us hyper.

As a matter of fact, there is an ongoing split among PB's as we speak.

I am anti-missionism. Please note the ism at the end.

My feeling is if a man stands up in front of a congregation to claim that God has called him to a certain part of the world to preach the gospel to His people in that part of the world, then by all means he should go right that minute and trust God to prepare and supply all his and his family's needs for him. He shouldn't be going round the churches for deputation and support pledges and all those things that are usually attended to before one actually "gets on the steamship".

Secondly, of what purpose is the preaching of the gospel for a missionary to go out ?

If it is to save God's people from false and erroneous teaching, to tell them that their salvation is a finished fact and nothing is needed for them to do except trust in the Name of Jesus, and be baptized according to Scriptures, then well and good, this is the message and purpose of the gospel. To bring life and immortality to life. To save from an untoward generation. To save them from false religions and beliefs as those who Paul preached to were saved by his gospel.

But if the purpose of "going out there" is to preach the gospel in order for people to be saved from God's wrath and saved in the eternal sense, forgive me, with all due respects, you can go your way, because that is not what the gospel is all about.

And if the purpose of missions is what it all boiled down to for those among my people, the PB's, who have gone out into the "mission field", which purpose is to establish PB churches, and proselytize or encourage proselytes from other Baptist groups, well, again, all due respects, we part ways.

God's people will get to heaven, with or without preachers, whether or not they are PB's and embrace PB doctrine, or whether or not they are Calvinists, or Arminians, or semi-Pelagians, or "Biblicists", because Jesus Christ, and Him alone, made it a reality for His people by His blood, death and resurrection.

Now, would you like to dispute that ? that Jesus Christ alone, Him alone, plus and minus nothing and no one, saved (note the past tense) His people (not humanity) from sin ?

I'll catcha later, though.

Gym time.

Have lost twenty pounds, don't want to gain it back.

Would you believe at 62 I took up weight lifting, and am actually gaining muscle over fat ? My lattissimus dorsi is forming, and my shoulders, man, I've never had them as sharp as they are today.

My earthly life has just begaaaaaannn!!!

Catcha later, webbie.

10. standingfirminChrist

Vanity of vanities, all is vanity saith the preacher.

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

As a certified personal trainer, I believe it :)

Muscle doesn't age...we do. You can gain muscle at any age. Congrats on the results :thumbs:

12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

It's called being a good steward of you body, SFIC, not vanity. God gave us muscles to use, not atrophy.

13. standingfirminChrist

One can be a good steward with one's body and not brag on it. pinoy was obviously bragging when he said "woud you believe..."

14. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

That's excitment. Everybody that takes up weight lifting gets excited to see the positive changes in their body. Quit being so stinking judgemental. His excitment stems from his age and results.

#74 webdog, Apr 11, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2008
  15. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I don't think we're supposed to use that kind of language on the BB.

:laugh:

I hope it forms properly. :D

16. Joe

Joe New Member

Good for you :1_grouphug: What encouraging news!

It appears God is really blessing you. See Isaiah 40: 30-31
    Sad to read the personal attacks here, that's bizarre....

Proverbs 26:16 Lazy people consider themselves smarter than seven wise counselors

Hope you keep us updated :type:

17. Joe

Joe New Member

At one time, I wanted to be a certified personal trainer. That's wonderful :thumbs:
    Did you work at a Gym?

18. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

Not that I really care...but was all this "predestined" and "foreordained" by God?

Joe...

Your sarcasm is showing!

19. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

local YMCA. When I got certified, the field was changing requiring certification and a degree in physiology. I didn't have the latter, so I didnt' pursue this career. I have a lot of knowledge about exercise now, though :)

20. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Meanwhile , Back To The Subject Of The OP

I want discussion of this .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.