1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

God, In His Sovereignty ...

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Rippon, Apr 16, 2010.

1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'd say from around 1665 to 1900.

I can't answer with specifics. But God's sovereignty superintended the whole process.

Good questions, but I'd have to say God's sovereignty comes into play equally so here as was the case of the KJV.

The NIV's popularity exceeds that of the KJV. That's the case in the rest of the world which buys English Bible translations as well as the native English speaking nations.

That comes in handy, I'm sure.

2. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Well, considering it came from his own mouth/pen, I doubt it. I'll post links to the article when I get my to my laptop.

Interesting answers re: KJV/NIV dominance. I don't doubt God's sovereign hand, but I can't help but think the state sanctioning of the AV helped a tad.

For the dates you propose re: KJV dominance, what makes you pick those dates?

And the KJVO script I still have? Kills 'em at parties :smilewinkgrin:

3. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, some say that it wasn't until the first half of the 18th century that the KJV was effectually unchallenged. I guess I'll be more conservative and say that it was around the time of the English Restoration when things beame more KJV-dominant. And 1900? Maybe the 1950's would be more like it. There were a lot of translations in the first part of the 20th century like the ASV of 1901,Fenton's Weymouth's translations of 1904 etc. But with the advent of the Phillip's and the RSV and other versions coming out and gobbled-up by the public -- 1950 may be a good milestone. That's a period of 290 years for the reign of the KJV.