1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

God is a what?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by gekko, Feb 20, 2008.

1. standingfirminChrist

mrtumnus is not a male, dan e. mrtumnus is a female.

And I am not putting words into her mouth at all. She has stated a few posts up that "males do not have wombs." She stated in the same post that "God has a womb."

She is clearly saying God is female.

2. trustitl

trustitl New Member

I'm with you man, but the "male spirit" comment just doesn't seem right. It's not in scripture so I wouldn't use it myself.

3. dan e.

dan e. New Member

Thanks for the correction on mrtumnus.

She is not clearly saying God is female when she CLEARLY says this:

4. dan e.

dan e. New Member

Post Number 1,000

Yeeeaaahhh!!!

5. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

When we pray, why do we address God as "Our Father"?

6. dan e.

dan e. New Member

Linda, I'm not arguing with you, or SFIC, that we shouldn't be addressing God the way we've been taught by Jesus. We address Him that way because we see from Scripture that is how He addresses Himself, and how Jesus addresses Him.

However...what is being argued is that it does not mean that God the Father is literally a male.

7. standingfirminChrist

God is a Spirit, and they that worship "Him" must worship "Him" in spirit and in truth.

Him always refers to the male and never the female.

8. standingfirminChrist

Scripture clearly states God is not a man (Numbers 23:19).

However, male does not necessarly refer to the species we know as man. Male refers to a certain gender of animal as well.

Now, before you get your dander up and accuse me of calling God an animal, I am saying no such thing.

God is a Spirit. Scripture declares that. And because in the same verse Scripture declares God to be a Him, it is evident He is indeed a male Spirit.

9. dan e.

dan e. New Member

aahhh...kind of like you accusing mrtumnus of calling God a female, eh.

10. standingfirminChrist

Evidently you have not paid attention to her posts.

It is quite evident that she is calling God female here.

Her statements:
    1. Men don't have wombs
    2. A womb is distinctively a female only trait.
    3. A female only trait is used to describe God.

She is clearly calling God a female.

11. dan e.

dan e. New Member

:BangHead: Only clear in your mind SFIC.

12. dan e.

dan e. New Member

"Therefore, a distinctively, female-only trait has been used in language that is describing God."

This is not CLEARLY calling God a female. She is pointing out a female TRAIT that has been used to DESCRIBE part of God's NATURE.

It makes you uncomfortable. Which is good. That is when we grow. So, stay uncomfortable, if you will.

13. standingfirminChrist

"Therefore, a distinctively, female-only trait has been used in language that is describing God."

Where do you see nature in that quote of hers? She said the trait described God, not His nature.

It makes you uncomfortable. Which is good. That is when we grow. So, stay uncomfortable, if you will.

14. trustitl

trustitl New Member

I'm not the greatest peacemaker but I'll take a shot at it. Having been on the BB a while I should probably know better. :tear:

male (ml)
    adj.
    a. Of, relating to, or designating the sex that has organs to produce spermatozoa for fertilizing ova. Can we agree that since he is not a man with organs this does not describe God?

b. Characteristic of or appropriate to this sex; masculine.
    Can we all agree that this is true of God?

n.
    1. A member of the sex that begets young by fertilizing ova. He did do this with Mary, but by super natural means, agreed?

2. A man or boy.
    Based on SFIC reference to Num. 23:19 I think we all agree this is not describing God.

feĀ·male (fml)
    adj.
    a. Of or denoting the sex that produces ova or bears young. Other than the obscure verse relating to the womb, this is clearly not an attribute of God, agreed?
    b. Characteristic of or appropriate to this sex; feminine.
    This is where it gets a little blurry because of our cultural hang-ups. But, can we agree that God is not a macho, give me cup of coffee kind of "guy", nor a limp wristed priss?
    However, God does possess attributes that we in the West often think of as "feminine" such as being nurturing, gentle, and tender.

God uses scripture to reveal, dare I say "himself", to us and in this venue he exclusively uses male terms and mostly male attributes. I think focusing on the proper understanding of these will help all of us, including the girls drawn toward the Wiccans, a good picture of who God is. Also, let's accept the fact that there are a few word pictures that God inspired writers to use that take female terms and uses them to open our eyes to who "He" is.

15. dan e.

dan e. New Member

Well, I took the rest of her comment in context, when she declares herself that she is not saying God is female...but is explaining to us that she believes it is describing His nature.

Basic reading, really.

16. PreachTREE

PreachTREE New Member

SFIC,

Would you agree that these are possible translations?

17. standingfirminChrist

'El shaddai' means "God Almighty, who is All Sufficient"

'shad' means breast

'shaddai' does not mean breast.

18. PreachTREE

PreachTREE New Member

"ai" is plural suffix if i remember correctly

19. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

Genesis 17:1 And when Abram <'Abram> was ninety <tish`iym> <shaneh (in pl. only),> years <shaneh (in pl. only),> old <ben> and nine <tesha`>, the LORD <Y@hovah> appeared <ra'ah> to Abram <'Abram>, and said <'amar> unto him, I am the Almighty <Shadday> God <'el>; walk <halak> before me <paniym>, and be thou perfect <tamiym>.

Strong's Hebrew Dictionary
    7706. Shadday
    Search for H7706 in KJVSL
    ydv Shadday shad-dah'-ee
    from 7703; the Almighty:--Almighty.

The Hebrew word Shadday is found 48 times in the Old Testament and in every instance it means "Almighty". Nowhere does it mean "breast"

Better study your Hebrew. "ai" is not a plural suffix in this case. How about the Hebrew word ADONAI, meaning Lord?

20. PreachTREE

PreachTREE New Member

I'm sure you meant that its TRANSLATED "Almighty."

ADON is singular for lord. AI is the plural suffix. The plural form is used to denote majesty.

I think you should study your Hebrew instead of your KJV.