1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

God is my co-pilot

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by Salty, Oct 28, 2007.

?
  1. The Lord should be the Co-pilot

4 vote(s)
    11.4%
  2. The Christian should be the co-pilot

8 vote(s)
    22.9%
  3. I just dont know

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  4. other answer

21 vote(s)
    60.0%
  1. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

I find it almost as offensive as the peurile slogan of "Jesus is my homeboy" maybe it does not have the same meaning as a non American sees it but it is juvenile and at worst ignorant:BangHead:

I have been happy with "The Lord is my shepherd I shall not want....."I put my trust in the Lord because he is God and I a creature of His......

2. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

I get the bumper sticker and I think, in the big picture, it's a nice sentiment. the person is trying to say that God is in their life and that He helps make the decisions and backs them up, etc.

My big problem with it is that any time we try to anthropomorphise (did I spell that right?) God and make him a human or try to make him more like us ("Hey, God's just a regular guy like me!"), we're really trading in the Holy, Righteous and Sovereign God, who we really should want to be piloting the plane, for a god of out own making, in our own image, who's really no more capable or competent or righteous or holy than we are.

That not only blasphemes God, but it also puts us in the dangerous position of putting our lives in our own hands.

3. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    “God Is My Co-Pilot” is a book written in 1943 by Brig General Robert L. Scott Jr., a World War II ace. The book was very popular and Warner Bros. made it into a movie in 1945. The book is not a theological work - merely the exploits of a hotshot P-40 pilot.

Now if you're inclined to preach from books about war let me suggest......:type:

4. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

It actually came from the title of a book. A WW2 pilot used this analogy to explain how he made it through the war. Simply put, he always had God in the plane with him. I think the title was also used for a movie.

The question I have is, if he made it through the war because God was in the plane with him, what does this say for all the Christian pilots who died in war?

5. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

The bible... :laugh:

By the way, I peaked at the end. The Devil did it.

6. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    God is the pilot. Period.

7. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  8. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've always thought that these statements are kind of silly. Basically, this undermines the whole idea of FREE WILL. Everybody knows we have free will. By saying God is the pilot, you're saying that you have no control, that you have no free will, because God is manning all of the controls, and you're just along for the ride. It's basically saying you do nothing at all. I mean, if you're the co-pilot, you're just there in case God messes up and needs help, right? It makes no sense. Anybody who actually thinks about this would realize that.

9. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Not at all, for you missed my actual point. I said nothing beyond my initial response, until now. BTW, I did not vote in the poll, and I usually don't. And as my fellow Kentuckian, Tom Bryant implied, and with which I also agree, "Bumper Stickers" are a lousy base on which to build any of our theology/doctrine ideas.

Ed

10. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Doesn't this mean I am free to let God be the pilot?

11. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I didn't know there was such a 'denomination' as a one-half mill. Although there is a mill coin (one tenth of a cent, or $0.001) that Congress authorized, but has never been minted, in the USA.

Ed

12. Ivon Denosovich

Ivon Denosovich New Member

I am always responsible for my actions. This means, by design, I am the pilot.

13. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Why are we even flying the airplane, when we should be using it to go overseas for missions?

14. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Picky, Picky! :laugh: :laugh:

Ed