1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

God subjecting creation-Jesus-women-Jews in hope?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Australian Baptist Student, Mar 24, 2004.

1. Australian Baptist Student

Hi there,
    I have been thinking about Romans 8:20-23, and have fed into it other verses, and would appreciate some feedback. Romans says God subjected creation in hope to mankind - that is, he gave us a gift which we had the option of abusing.

In Acts 3:26, we find that God sent Jesus to Israel to bless them. This delighted me - so often we see Jesus coming only to be betrayed and to die by their hand, yet as Jesus said of the vineyard owner, "what shall I do? I will send my own beloved son, him they will respect". Jesus was sent as a blessing, which Israel chose not to recieve.

My wife and I saw "The Missing" last night, and really enjoyed it. It did remind me however, that God placed women under men's authority, and of how often we have abused that gift. A pastor/friend who deals with abused women once told me ta times, he is ashamed to be a man.

Likewise, when God sent Israel into exile after their rejection of Jesus, they went to the very lands which would become Christendom. Of all the lands where they could have gone, they were placed at the mercy of their younger brother, and we abused them. We had other options, as 2 Chronicles 9-15 testifies, but we abused those who have been given into our power.

My question then is, is there a common thread here, of God placing potential blessings at our disposal, of "subjecting them in hope" to us?

God bless, Colin

2. Pete Richert

Pete Richert New Member

Romans 8:20-23 doesn't speak of the creation being subjected to mankind, but to futility, and into the bondage of decay. Namely, the effects of the fall were placed on creation itself so things wear out rust, weeds grow, fields dry up, etc, while in pre-fall creation the earth itself was a perfect provider for all the needs of mankind as God had perfectly provided for His people.

You are indeed correct though that the world was placed under man's domininion, though we gots to go back to Genesis for that.